search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Copy of The Hobbit sold for $121,000
Author Topic: Copy of The Hobbit sold for $121,000
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Evidently there were several items of Tolkienabilia sold recently.

A first edition Hobbit went for £60,000 ($121,000).

A copy from the first edition in a foreign language (Swedish) went for £1,560.

And the last picture of the Professor, taken by Michael as he stood by a favorite tree, went for £864.

quote:
The photograph - which was expected to fetch up to £600 - shows the author in the Oxford Botanical Gardens leaning against his favourite tree, the Black Pine he named Laocoon.
I wonder if it was this photo?
 -

BBC

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A copy from the first edition in a foreign language (Swedish) went for £1,560.
Tolkien hated that translation if memory serves... []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he fervently disliked that it turned 'Hobbit' into 'Hompen', at least ...

As to the British 1st edition copy sold, this was Elaine Griffiths copy, signed with inscription to her, if my memory serves me correctly: 'To the Queen of Hobbits', in Quenya in Tengwar. Given Griffiths' close link to the publication of The Hobbit and the fact that the work has no dedication, this is actually the closest you can get to a dedication copy. No wonder it got that price, it certainly has value over and beyond that of any other signed first edition. (B.t.w., the Swedish copy was also signed and inscribed to Elaine Griffiths)

E: My memory did NOT serve me correctly. That Quenya inscription with "Queen of Hobbits" (something like 'Elainen tarin Periandion') came from somewhere else, not from the Hobbit-copy sold. It still was Tolkien's epithet for Elaine Griffiths, though.

[ 03-24-2008, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Copy of The Hobbit sold for $121,000
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help