Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Is it possible?
Author Topic: Is it possible?
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Could it actually be that those of us who spend the majority of our time up north take ourselves and Tolkien too seriously?

The motivation for this question comes from a comment made in the new "100 PMs allowed" thread. A guy who has been here less than a year (and seems to spend significant time down south) has a full inbox. The DPR, on the other hand has six messages in nearly six years.

Are we northerners anti-social? Talk me off the ledge, someone. Tell me it's because I have a life outside the Interwebzz. [] []

[ 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts ]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can say it's me, you know []

Well, have you met anyone from the board before ? I guess that's one reason why I would have a lot of PMs. Things are way different when you actually meet people.

Personally, I think a Tolkien board is great for Tolkien discussions, but I think of it more as a way to meet people I have Tolkien in common with.

And I spend more time down South because there is a South section here and not in the other fora (french ones) where I am a member []

The first Tolkien forum I joined, back in 2002, is very serious - albeit slightly dead now [] - even maybe more serious than the North section here.

I guess that's a matter of what you're looking for when coming here []

I know it doesn't seem like it, but I have a social life too outside, and pretty full []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I post more in the North than in the South, but I had to clean my pm box several times. Then I got used to clean it regularly (saving the pms I want to keep).
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth DPR, my inbox gets about as much use as yours, in fact aside from my yearly Xmas e-card from Wiki I get almost nothing at all. My posting tends to be pretty evenly split between north & south, so I don't think it's the never been down south thing. I've never met a fellow MTer as Inc' suggested, that's surely a factor. I was once a serial killer in a past life but then that's hardly common knowledge so I doubt that's the reason. Honestly, I'm at a loss []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you want pm's then send pm's. My opinion is that pm's are one of two things:

-A way of saying something to one person without the possibility of someone else getting involved.

-A way to talk about someone else behind their back

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you want pm's then send pm's.
There's your solution right there []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll PM you if you PM me! []
[] I have only gotten a few in a few years too, though most of them nice--quality over quantity, I say!
But I don't spend much time north or south--probably much to do with it. Actually, I wish I had more time and attributes to spend up north, PMs or no. Outside of the teaching circles, I sadly find I have way less time to indulge in reading Tolkien, and I'm hopelessly outclassed by the literary brilliants there. []

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
More than half of my PMs are discussing and planning Role Playing posts in the Green Dragon (including some for Inc' [] )
I believe that an even higher percentage of the PMs I have saved, are of the same kind (says the recent winner of the MT's Best Role Player 2007 Award [] ) .

The Green Dragon happens to be down south - but for many of us, it is very much about Tolkien.

I prefer playing in the Tolkien-related RPs, and I've learnt a lot about Tolkien's works from reading up background materials for my posts. My buying of HoME 10, 11 and 12 have been directly related to RP discussions, mostly in the Green Dragon, but also in the 'Opelë' inn (which used to be much more Tolkien RP related a couple of years ago).

I now read the Silmarillion a lot more easily, because I finally know who's who of the descendants of Finwë []

So even though I post more down south than up north, I still do a fair bit of Tolkien discussion. Some of it is done in the threads, but a lot of it is done via PM.

When I post up north, there is usually not the same need for discussing via PM, because the whole discussion takes place in the thread.

My "social" PMs are mostly about people I've met in real life.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So I AM antisocial but it's ok. Got it. Thanks. []
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to say that - sorry ...

Most of my PMs aren't social ones, if that makes more sense.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
You're too kind. []

I'm not offended in the least. This is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek topic. My sense of humor is pretty dry (or not funny, if you will).

Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it sure seems like spending time down South [] meeting people [] lots of PMs. Nowadays I lurk up North and post exclusively down South, and I've even met several MTers. But honestly, I do about the same traffic in PMs that you do. Either I'm not around enough or don't have enough to say or am just not very well-liked... [] my point, of course, being that even meeting people and posting down South has little to do with it unless you also spend a lot of time using the board for social reasons.
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like every person who posted in this thread. Oh, and coincidently, I just pm'd one of you earlier today - someone who almost never gets them, apparently.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Is it possible?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help