search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tim Tolkien to Create Ent Statue
Author Topic: Tim Tolkien to Create Ent Statue
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Tolkien, the Professor's great nephew, has been commissioned to create an ent statue in Moseley close to the Professor's home town. He created the kick-ass spitfire memorial sculpture, if you remember.

I guess the town was selling leaves for the statue in order to raise the money needed, but the sale is already over.

I think it is a pretty cool idea.

http://www.moseleystatue.org/

-

That "Smaug" sculpture in the above image is impressive too. I wonder if Tim Tolkien did that one?

You can see more pictures and the old ebay page for the leaves here.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty cool.

Some residents have complained about the 25 foot tall Ent being over the top. I kind of agree. How tall did Tolkien envision Ents to be? Around 2/3 of that? I seem to have 14 feet in my head but I have no recollection where that came from.

Why not research Tolkien's works and make the Ent life sized?

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I've talked to someone who works very close to where this statue will be placed. She promised some pictures when it is up. []

Does anyone know anything about that Smaug sculpture in that pub from the first post? I think that looks really cool too.

It looks like "Tolkien tourism" is a thriving industry. I wonder how large it is in terms of £?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look very "man-like" to me... not even "troll-like."
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just Howish-like, for the first pic...
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Did the Professor ever make any drawings of Ents? I glanced through Pictures and didn't see anything. The trolls from the Hobbit look just like larger people, rounder and less angular. But Treebeard must have been very tree-like for Merry and Pippin to not even recognize it as not a tree on the climb up Treebeard's Step.
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also seem to recall Ents being mistaken for trees until seeing their eyes or seeing them move, but I can't nail down a quote right now.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just currently re-reading the passage now, and the descriptions are pretty precise, IMO. Both of you have a point. Pippin and Merry say that it looks like they have a skin made of wood, but they are very human-shaped aside from that (having two arms, two legs but a various number of toes [] ). Treebeard's height is around 14 feet, so maybe he's rangier than a man in a way that makes him look like a tree []
As a side note, it is not explicitly said that Trolls look like Ents. I guess they were mainly supposed to be as strong as them.

[ 02-06-2008, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tim Tolkien to Create Ent Statue
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help