search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » 70th Anniversary for The Hobbit
Author Topic: 70th Anniversary for The Hobbit
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Seventy years ago this Friday, on 21 September 1937, The Hobbit went on sale.

I think the initial print run was 1,500 copies. It has come a long way in the past 70 years.

The Hobbit is still my all-time favorite book. []

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -

Raynor Unwin, then 10 years old, wrote a "report" on The Hobbit when it was submitted for publication in 1936:
quote:
"This is a good book and should appeal to all children between the ages of 5 and 9".
[] []

[ 09-17-2007, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I'm not between the ages of 5 and 9. []
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Raynor may have gotten the target age range wrong - he was only 10 at the time, after all - but the important thing is, he liked the book.

[ 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but the important thing is, he liked the book.
Which, I seem to remember, was an important factor in his father's decision to take the book on for publication. []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
70 years... seems like it was only yesterday I received the 50th special edition as a present. I'm getting old! []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, its still pretty nifty for a 70yr old!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Happy birthday, Bilbo!
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

You're early.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm not. Not for the UK anyway! Which, let's face it is where the Shire was. So let me say Happy Birthday to Frodo and Bilbo! Oh, and if either of you are starting out on any desperate journey's today, beware!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » 70th Anniversary for The Hobbit
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help