Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » The Movie's Influence on MT (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Movie's Influence on MT
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How one should look at a story is not really dabatable.
Oh. OK. []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple of thoughts before I read the thread on the influence of movies on MT even though I was not a member to witness how it was before.
Whatever the influence was, to the better or to the worse, I cannot judge as we ageed, it was coming right to you. Generaly change always is, which sucks. And of course when least expected.
Normal people make a daily effort to accept this truth and realise that nothing lasts as it is forever. Not part of the natural process of things.

So I suggest, whatever you findings are, you just sit back and enjoy the ride,experience what is happening now and bear witness to it cause in five to ten years it will be soooooo gone.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But I wonder if WGW ever thought when he first created these forums, all those years ago, that even now, it would still be going strong and that people would still be joining and posting?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Eomer makes the whole point of this thread clear.
So...what, is it a bad thing that I treat a story simply as a story, and nothing more? The movies have nothing to do with the way I view LOTR--I hold the book in higher regard, but I still enjoy the movies.

I feel the same way about every book I read, every video game I play, and every movie I watch. I find sitting down and dissecting fiction like it's a college textbook tedious. Isn't it enough to just enjoy Middle-earth without having to act like I'm studying for a doctorate in Tolkienology?

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éomer said:
quote:
"Isn't it enough to just enjoy Middle-earth without having to act like I'm studying for a doctorate in Tolkienology?"
I agree. As I said before albeit with different words, I too care not for the anal-retentive attitudes backed up by quotes from letters telling me how I'm supposed to enjoy Middle Earth. So you see, I myself agree with your previous post. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Okay. I guess I took your comment the wrong way, then. []

Sorry, I wrote that up when I was kinda tired and cranky, and I'd said to myself "Hmm, maybe I should wait to post this until tomorrow" but then I went ahead and did it anyway. []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was taking a back-handed piss out of Tuor with that post. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have never claimed that one should not discuss personal opinions. I simply say that one should not claim that those were Tolkiens thoughts and that I don't care to join in on such conversations. But people get all in a snit whenever I try to bring up the distinction.

Here's a perfect quote from a certain kind of "Tolkien fan" brought to this site by the movies:
quote:
When you've said a certain amount about Tolkien, you've said it all. Boring old misogynist with no imagination whatsoever. Nicked every single "idea" he claimed to have.
Link to quote
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some people should definitely read Tom Shippey, if they can't read Tolkien correctly []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Tuor! How nice to see that you still care. []

But you know, if you explore the Tolkien canon in any depth, you will see that I am correct. Not that I expect any of you to ever admit it, but then that makes it all the more amusing for some of us. []

Enjoy yourselves!

edit: And I was actually not brought to this site by the movies, as you would know if your knowledge of MT was as exhaustive as you claim. I was, sadly, brought to this site by a combination of an accident that made me housebound for six months and a love of Arthur Ransome. But of course, you know that, don't you? Not.

It is delicious that some MTers (mentioning no names)who despise me here, talk to me happily on other sites where I have a different name. [] Life is fun.

[ 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is delicious that some MTers (mentioning no names)who despise me here, talk to me happily on other sites where I have a different name. [] Life is fun.
Nice to see you still get your jollies mind-fXXXing other people. What's the saying: Small things amuse small minds? Yes, I think that was it.

[]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I suppose I should have said "an example of a person who joined the site during the time of the movies". It became a site where people like you felt at home.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But you know, if you explore the Tolkien canon in any depth, you will see that I am correct.
Oh, yes, I forgot you were so active up north []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I think she meant from her point of view. As Snowdog has pointed out, there is nothing wrong with discussing Tolkien from one's own point of view. It's just that until the movies were released, people with such a point of view would not have come to a Tolkien site.
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Her point of view (or such a point of view) has no interest at all for me, as long as it doesn't contaminate other people.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
It is delicious that some MTers (mentioning no names)who despise me here, talk to me happily on other sites where I have a different name. Life is fun.
[] You probably didn't try and commit suicide over there yet. [] But I will agree with you that life is fun! []

quote:
When you've said a certain amount about Tolkien, you've said it all. Boring old misogynist with no imagination whatsoever. Nicked every single "idea" he claimed to have.
[] Yeah, Good reason to join a Tolkien site. []
quote:
edit: And I was actually not brought to this site by the movies, as you would know if your knowledge of MT was as exhaustive as you claim. I was, sadly, brought to this site by a combination of an accident that made me housebound for six months(I doubt it) and a love of Arthur Ransome. But of course, you know that, don't you? Not.
... or not.
quote:
It's just that until the movies were released, people with such a point of view would not have come to a Tolkien site.
Boy, that is a fact.

I do have to say that MT sure has brought me a hell of a lot of entertainment. []

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

quote:
You probably didn't try and commit suicide over there yet.
 -
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But you know, if you explore the Tolkien canon in any depth, you will see that I am correct. Not that I expect any of you to ever admit it, but then that makes it all the more amusing for some of us.
According to your "argument", you'd have to at least study works by other authors in depth as well. Without source material, there is no plagiarism. [] Perhaps you would be interested in enlightening us why Tolkien is such a talentless hack? Perhaps you would be interested in naming specific works Tolkien so blatantly stole from and then claimed their content to be his work?

Note that mythologies have recurrent themes - and that Tolkien did not hide the fact that he was inspired by different mythologies all the way. However, I maintain that Tolkien managed to assemble a complex world (not that I know only a fragment of all this compared to certain members) that, also using old themes, conveys a fresh story worthy of analysis.

To claim that Tolkien, having absolutely no imagination, basically copied and pasted his whole work sounds to me more like a bitter and unfair comment. In its present form it certainly isn't a reasoned argument.

[ 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Belegurth ]

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And if you have read or studied any Joseph Campbell, then you've at least been introduced to the concept that all legends are more or less identical, just with different characters.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. []

Campbell was an amazing lecturer, but not as accessible in his writing. His writing style can be a little staid and boring, which is a shame b/c his knowledge of the subject material -- and the subject itself -- are fascinating.

Here's a decent overview of Campbell's idea of there being essentially one common threat throughout the world's myths. He called it the "monomyth".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is one thing which I wonder, is that was Tolkien the first to think up the idea of a super-weapon, such as the ring, to whom if one wielded it that person would have total power, or has someone else thought of it? Would one of those ray planet destroying guns in Flash Gordon in the 1930s count as one?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I like Joseph Campbell as well, personally. For me he bridged the gap between a relatively complex matter and its effects on personal life and life-planning.
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hamfast:
quote:
There is one thing which I wonder, is that was Tolkien the first to think up the idea of a super-weapon, such as the ring, to whom if one wielded it that person would have total power, or has someone else thought of it?
No -- it's a mythic element that goes back thousands of years: Greek, Mesopotamian, Celtic, Germanic cultures all had stories involving a super-natural device of power that is both a blessing and a curse to the bearer and/or the bearer's community. I'm sure you'll find it in Asian mythologies as well...

Just off the top of my head here are some that come to mind: The Golden Fleece (Hellenic), The Ring of the Nibelungen (Germanic, by way of Richard Wagner), Excalibur and The Holy Grail, The Apple of Discord (Hellenic).

And possible the source of all of them is the Apple from the Tree of Life in teh Garden of Eden... []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And possible the source of all of them is the Apple from the Tree of Life in teh Garden of Eden...
Which God made sure mankind wouldn't have access to after they ate the Apple from the Tree of Knowledge.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I think I might be able to sum up these forums life history. Site begins. Not that much interest, only those who desire to discuss the minuciantions of Lotr. Bit slow, but interesting postings every now and again. Along come the movies. Many moviephiles join. Some of those who like the books get annoyed. Rightly, or wrongly, I'm not saying. Start to shout at the moviephiles. Many of those who like the movies start to chat amongst themselves in the Pony and other places. The movies go. Some of the moviephiles go with them. Of course in the time many of the original posters go as well, seven years is a long time, at least for us humans, after all. Now of course, as some have suggested, generally the site is getting quieter and quieter again. Getting around full circle perhaps?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » The Movie's Influence on MT (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help