Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not joking.
 -
quote:
J. R. R. Tolkien Memorabilia
~ Original Tolkien Fireplace ~

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (1892–1973).

This original tiled fireplace surround from the former Master Bedroom of J. R. R. Tolkien's home at: 76 Sandfield Road, Headington, Oxford, UK is for sale.

Books published whilst J. R. R. Tolkien lived here include:
'The Fellowship of the Ring' (1954), 'The Two Towers' (1954), and 'The Return of the King' (1955).

Wow! This beautiful, original, fireplace surround is a one off that can never be repeated.
It can only be copied!
What would you give to have this original in your lounge, where it would rightly fascinate your friends?

Price: $250,000

Memorabilia craziness
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow! This beautiful, original, fireplace
Are they blind! [] It's hidious! []
I may offer £5 for the candlesticks though []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Sorry. Those are $10,000 each, because they sat on Tolkien's fireplace. $5,000 for each log, because they were in Tolkien's fireplace.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And how much for the little sprinkling of pipe ashes? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[confession]I really like it.[/confession]
[]
Not saying I'd pay $250,000 for it (like I will ever have $250,000!) but if it is made of chunky Italian marble tiles as it appears to be, with a customised inscription in the two little diamonds, then I think it's pretty nice.

Of course, if it's made of MDF and some fake-marble tiling from Homebase, then it's naff. The picture does not clarify. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This guy is high! CS Lewis stuff and he wants 520,000 pounds for 52 stamps worth maybe 100 dollars each. And is saying they are worth 100 times that because they were in the house. Sorry, I don't believe they are worth it.

Just trying to cash in on the popularity. And the sad part is that they will probably find some deluded individual willing to pay it.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What's that word they use on Antiques Roadshow? Provenance?

Yep, that fireplace has provenance.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I don't see how in the world this guy will ever get $250,000 for the fireplace. That's more than a signed copy of the First Edition Hobbit!
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » $250,000 for Tolkien's Fireplace
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help