Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » When was the last time you read? (Page 1)
Author Topic: When was the last time you read?
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I realized something today. I read Tolkien a lot - normally every week I am reading something. But it is always a passage here, a quote there - I'm researching something or just interested in something specific.

When was the last time you sat down and read a Tolkien book cover to cover?

For me, the last book was the Finnish language version of The Hobbit last September and October. Almost a full year ago! I always read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings at least once a year, normally in the fall. (In the autumn, both Frodo and myself feel like journeying. [] ) But I think 2005 was the first year since I knew Tolkien existed that I didn't read The Lord of the Rings cover to cover.

Personally, I think it's time to start again. Discussing and researching Tolkien is one thing, but sitting down and really enjoying such a magnificent work is something different. I like researching the book, but I love reading the book. I think it's time I put down David Maude's Global Private Banking and Wealth Management and pick up the greatest story ever written once again.

[ 08-16-2006, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As you said, I usually read passages now and again... especially if I'm not currently reading another book.

The last time I reread The Lord of the Rings from cover to cover was when the films came out. At the time I hadn't read the books in about ten years. The Silmarillion came shortly after that. Last year I reread The Hobbit.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I re-read RotK after the EE DVD came out, before I started my first year of uni (roughly Dec 04). I'm currently re-reading FotR, although technically its for uni. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have the chance - I don't currently have mush time for non-uni reading. That's what 3 months of summer holidays are for [] !
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very familiar.

I browse the various books almost on a daily basis, for whatever reason, but the last time I read something by Tolkien from cover to cover was The Lays of Beleriand sometime last autumn. []

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good topic. []

I first read LoTR during a very trying winter several years ago. Indeed, it helped me get through that time. Ever since then, I committed to reading it every winter (roughly corresponding to the timeline in the book), and managed to do that until last year. I doubt I'll make an attempt this winter as I've a huge reading list on my plate right now.

My favorite is The Silmarillion and I often listen to the audio version on my iPod. Wonderful! []

As for the HoME books, I use them more as reference and haven't read them 'cover-to-cover' (if that's humanly possible [] ) since I got them a few years back. One of these days I'll get to Lays of Beleriand.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the middle of another straight read-through of the trilogy right now, actually. I started the chapter entitled Treebeard in TTT yesterday.
Turning a friend on to Tolkien is what made me want to read LotR again this time. Two years ago, it was the movies. Ususally, it's just "Hey, I haven't read these in about a year, time to read them again!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished reading the Lord of the Rings again a couple of days ago. Hobbit, Smith of Wootton Major and the Book of Lost Tales - several months ago. I go through phases and will probably not read a Tolkien book from cover to cover for quite some time now.
From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Hobbit earlier in the month - don't know when I read the whole thing last.

I tend to reread old books in portions, a little here and a little there - good to read them in their entirety occasionally.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I read a Tolkien book cover to cover was my reading of the recently published French translation of The Lays of Beleriand, in last May.

As for the classical ones, I haven't read LotR for years (last time : before the first movie), and that's even worse for Bilbo. I read the Silmarillion more frequently, but the last time was probably 1 or 2 years ago.

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I read The Hobbit over the past two weeks. [] It's easy to remember why that is my favorite book of all time. What a wonderful Adventure!

Last night I started on The Return of the Shadow.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
I haven't read any Tolkien book cover-to-cover in about... 3 years!
*hits self with non-sacred book*
I am going to start rereading Lord of the Rings tomorrow. Except not. The Hobbit first. Then LotR.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the trilogy over the summer. It only happened because I paced myself to two chapters a day.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had been thinking that it was far too long since I sat down and read through any of them. For now, I find myself in the middle of LotR (which is a great place to be as I work at a video store and find myself in the middle of a lot of debates when I take my reading to work). I reread the Athrabeth on a fairly regular basis, once every few weeks, more now than I used to. It somehow reminds me how good things are for me right now.

Late summer is always when I start curling up on my sofa with these tales again. Sundays are perfect. Wake up early, have some breakfast, read until the game starts, watch the game, read until dinner. I suffer a notable lack of attention span during the middle part of the baseball season (and the latter part as well when I still think my Sox will be a part of the post), so as that dies off I regain my focus. That, and I think I wish I were in school again.

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a couple of years since I've read The Silmarillion cover to cover. And it's long past time to do so.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A week ago, I realized that I hadn't read LotR yet this year and that summer was already over. Since I don't have classes anymore though, I have a lot of time to read it. I'm on Chapter 3, Book 1 right now.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since my son was born, I've gotten busy and end up sleeping in my car for my lunch hour. My actual book-reading time has disappeared.

Still, since I have the e-text versions of all the books, I find I can cruise through the story faster than I used to with the paper versions. Whenever the mood strikes me, I open a file and find 5 or 6 chapters have gone by before I know it.

Get the e-texts and leave them where you spend most of your computing time. It's a bit less of a religious experience than holding the 'bible' in your hands, but you'll still tear up at the good parts. []

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What is a good website to find these e-texts on? I've tried googling, but to no avail, they would be really handy to look up things while I'm at work...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are some interesting conversations if you search the Lit forums for things like 'e-text'. I've had my files for a long time now, so I don't know if some of the old links are still valid.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorongil- go here. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vardamir Nolimon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5307
posted      Profile for Vardamir Nolimon   Email Vardamir Nolimon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Thingol, that's where I got mine. Unfortunately the data in the HoME files seems to be quite incomplete. I really can't complain though because the other files seem to have everything.

Not counting Farmer Giles (I LOVE that story!) or Smith of Wootton Major, my last cover-to-cover read was Unfinished Tales way back in the mid '90s. Yikes!! More than 10 years! Hmmm ... just before my wife [] and I were married. Coincidence? []

I suspect that my next cover-to-cover read will be The Hobbit sometime in the next few months when I read it aloud to our son. Since he has the typical 6 year old's love of slapstick I'm sure that Roast Mutton will be his favorite:
quote:
"You're a fat fool, William," said Bert, "as I've said afore this evening."
"And you're a lout!"

[]

[ 09-20-2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Vardamir Nolimon ]

From: City on a Hill | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thingy, unfortunately that site seems to be down... [] Nothing loads, and if I try it without the last suffix it says "this site is under construction".

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I find that the more I read the reference materials, etc., the less interest I have in LoTR. I haven't read LoTR in ages - probably two or three years. It's probably been that long since I've read the entire Silmarillion, too. I usually stop when Fëanor dies. []

I did just reread Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth [beautiful!] and The Shibboleth of Fëanor, though. Does that count for anything? []

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Of course that counts. It's hard to read a HoME book cover-to-cover. They are better for research and selected readings.

In other news, I started The Lord of the Rings last night. I was planning on starting on Bilbo's birthday, but was delayed.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find that the more I read the reference materials, etc., the less interest I have in LoTR. I haven't read LoTR in ages - probably two or three years. It's probably been that long since I've read the entire Silmarillion, too. I usually stop when Fëanor dies.
I agree. Its why I leave HoME alone. I did read UT. I think the whole years of movies burnout syndrome set in with me, and it may be a few years before I read LotR again. I did read it in 2004 and was glad my visuals were still intact! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
quote:
starting on Bilbo's birthday, but was delayed.
[] I love it.
From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » When was the last time you read? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help