search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » The One Ring is in the National Trust
Author Topic: The One Ring is in the National Trust
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled across this story at the Tolkien Society regarding an ancient golden Roman ring, complete with inscription and curse. It's called the Vyne Ring.

quote:
The ring was discovered in the late 18th century by a farmer at the remains of the nearby Roman town of Silchester.

No one knows quite how the ring came to The Vyne, but its story did not stop there. By an extraordinary coincidence, just a couple of decades after its discovery, a Roman lead tablet bearing an inscription about this very ring was found at a temple site at Lydney in Gloucestershire. It was engraved with a curse imprecating woe upon the person who had stolen the ring.

The original lead tablet is now at Lydney; but alongside this ring in the little cabinet is a replica, so the two can be admired together.
By 1928 the great archaeologist Sir Mortimer Wheeler was at work excavating the rich finds at Lydney where he was told the tale of the two finds.

And, so some conjecture, it is almost certain that he would have passed this exciting story to another who was advisor to finds at Lydney – an expert in early English – an Oxford don, named Tolkien.

Some people are wondering if this “cursed ring” could have influenced the Professor regarding the One Ring. Perhaps. Perhaps Plato’s Ring of Gyges and / or Wagner's Ring as well. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

National Trust

Now feel free to joke about symbols of ultimate evil being preserved in the UK.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is it!

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amasingly ugly Venus. []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
posted      Profile for Lórien   Email Lórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that i think of it, it is pretty ugly. []
From: thats completely up to you. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they so sure it's a Venus? []

Mightn't it just as well be a hobbit? []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps that's Venus... or Lúthien Tinúviel... carved by someone Evil, Evil, Evil!

I'm afraid we must now go to Hawaii to drop the Ring into a volcano. Oh, this will be sooo much better than Mordor!

[ 06-22-2006, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Alatar the Blue ]

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I get the feeling that this speculation on the One Ring idea may be more advertising than scholarship. I would be more inclined to believe of the Vyne Ring's influence on Tolkien if there were some hard evidence that the Professor and Sir Wheeler discussed it. We don't even know if Tolkien knew about it.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some conjecture, it is almost certain
... doesn't sound like the most thorough kind of research to me.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mightn't it just as well be a hobbit?
Was Sauron aware or interested, at the time of the creation of the ring, in Hobbits, enough to encrave them on his ring?

What do you mean I am taking this too seriously? []
Do you have quotes, woman? Do you?

[] []

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I think I'll just repeat
quote:
some conjecture, it is almost certain
Works in both cases []
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

[] [] []
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to visit the National Trust.

I understand they are also displaying a soap impression of a woman, which was donated by her husband, who was fond of standing in crowds wearing multicolored mirrors on his hobnail boots.

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] [] [] []
*favourite Beatles song*

E: But I thought he'd eaten it?

[ 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's a paradox.

If I remember correctly from reading the Anthology book, that song actually started out as three different song ideas by Lennon. He could not figure out how to finish any of the three, so he sewed them together into one.

A Day in the Life was also "sewn together" from two song ideas.
The first and last parts were written by John, and the middle part was written by Paul.

[ 06-30-2006, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Iarnar the Desert Dog ]

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » The One Ring is in the National Trust
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help