Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Middle Earth Fans (Page 3)
Author Topic: Middle Earth Fans
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Been wondering if a catagory for Old school book fans who watched the movie and now don't re-read the books anymore... []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does such a thing exist? []
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do re-read chapters from time to time but I confess it has been a while since I read Lotr from start to finish. I think I have read the Hobbit since.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid there is Aoi.
Ham, I was randomly openin g the book and reading a page or two here and there, but I'm afraid it has been reduced to another book I've read several times, and the drive to read the whole series just isn't there anymore. It's like with the movies, where I watch snippets of themwhen I catch them on free-to-air TV when I'm tuning around. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. []

There have been hunks of time when I don't read any Tolkien at all, but when the fall comes around, I always come back to LotR.

I think I keep reading it because I've made it part of my other hobbies - I design knitting patterns (for myself and friends) using LotR, TH and the Silm as inspirations. Since I'm using the books as reference, and not just reading them for timepass, it keeps them fresh for me.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have read LotR once or twice since the movies but plan to do it again soon.

*Not in category* []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read LotR right through after each of the movies came out, to keep the faith, as it were. But I admit, I haven't read the whole thing since then; I just dip in and read my favourite chapters/passages from time to time.

Of course it may be that I have reached saturation point, having read it once a year every year, from the age of 14. And that's a depressingly long time ago []

edit: I just read the first page, having been drawn in by Active Topics. Old School Book Fan here, obviously, from my main post.

And I entirely agree with Elora:

quote:
The rest of it I chalked up to Tolkien's son making a buck from his father's work.
That is exactly what I thought when I saw the books in Waterstone's. []

Aoife Are you by any chance the designer of the beautiful Arwen Evenstar gloves on Ravelry? When I find a suitable yarn, I am most definitely knitting those!

[ 07-04-2011, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In vague reply to those talking about those who no longer read Tolkien - I read LotR before the films and I haven't read it all through since. I have read parts, but if I ever read the ash-orc-fallover-eyeofsauron-orc-mud-ash-dust trek through Mordor again it may well be a few centuries too soon. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
SSA - I didn't design those gloves, but I did design a lace shawl called Dwimordene [] I did another shawl, a pair of socks and a pair of fingerless gloves that I still haven't written the patterns up for yet...slacker that I am!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Recently I tend to use the Appendices for references for our RP story writing, along with Fonstadt's atlas and the Encyclopedia of Arda.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since I last posted in this thread, I have actually read Lotr. And, as usual, found out something new in the tale, happens to me every time I re-read it no matter how many times I do it.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Middle Earth Fans (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help