Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Middle Earth Fans (Page 2)
Author Topic: Middle Earth Fans
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hasn't this topic already been covered to a certain extent?

Of course it has. This is a good collection point for it though.

My catagorizations could have several sub-catagories with the exception of the 1977 Old School cut. There could possibly be Old School First Born, before the release of the Old School Edain, who would be folk who read the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, and UT before ever seeing Bakshi, Bass Rankin, or ever heard of or seen a snippet of the P.J. movies. I may revise this...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'd be Old School First Born in that revision....

[]

Finally - a category I fit into! I've found it at last! I feel validated! []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Círdan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 812
posted      Profile for Círdan   Author's Homepage   Email Círdan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely a Bakshi Recruit. When I was very small I used to watch the Rankin/Bass Hobbit constantly (and the Secret of N.I.M.H., when that got to be too much). I tried to read The Hobbit when I was six, but got stuck halfway through (at the time, the journey through Mirkwood was intensely boring). A few years later, maybe at 8 or 9, I burned through LOTR, went back the Hobbit, really liked it this time, and then struggled through the Unfinished Tales. That was so hard to read that when I got the Silmarillion it was like light reading. Then HOME stuff, 1-5 plus Return of the Shadow, which I got as a gift.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In Autumn most of all do they come out, for Autumn is their season, fallen as they are upon the Autumn of their days. What shall the dreamers of the earth be like when their winter comes?

From: Atlanta | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eoin MacDomhnaill
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 863
posted      Profile for Eoin MacDomhnaill   Author's Homepage   Email Eoin MacDomhnaill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Old-School Book Fan to First-Born.

Read the trilogy at college in 1977. Didn't get to the Silmarillion until a decade later.

I enjoy the Jackson trilogy for what it is but prefer the books.

From: The Berkshires, Massachusetts, U.S. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5019
posted      Profile for Mirë   Email Mirë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm an Old School Book Fan.

Fell into ME when I was 15, and haven't fully emerged yet. Am hoping not to. Am looking at my 46th year.

But I'm not sure exclusive Book Fan is fair...I've gotta say, PJ's vision was wonderful. He really is one of us. I know there will always be complaints, but I must say that his visuals were right on. I tend to point out Imladris as an example. I thought the attention to detail was right on, and the Celtic influences perfect.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rather regretably I'ma a Pre-Movie fan. My dad made me read tham, but I loved them. I hate the stairs though. I just cannot get throuhg that part. Ever. But let it be known that I am I bit of a purist. I get that way after I read a great book that insipered a movie. So, I'd love to be an Old Book, but I'm not. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.'
- Edmund Burke

From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well Katrina, there is nothing wrong with your tale so why the tears? It's where the heart is, eh? []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a First-born [] . Cool title []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] As a reader and lover of Tolkien's works since 1975, I've read everything before it came out in any other format.
So, I'm a one-year newbie of sorts to this web site, but an oldie to the professor (32 years and counting).

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nazgûl
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5516
posted      Profile for Nazgûl   Author's Homepage   Email Nazgûl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The “Pre-Movie” Book Fan. Thats what I am. After reading The Hobbit in 6th grade I was sold. I went out and got The Fellowship soon after so on and so forth.
From: Boston | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely an Old School Book Fan. I first read the Hobbit and LOTR my freshman year in college, then read all the appendices and started all over again. I read LOTR six times my freshman year (and have read it many times since). Started out with the Ballantine paperbacks with the infamous bulbous covers, then my parents gave me the 2nd edition hardcovers with the oh-so-cool foldout maps for Christmas.

I worried that the movies would spoil my mental pictures of the characters, but oddly when I read the books they are still as I imagined them.

Still have Tolkien's death notice I cut out of the paper in 1973. At that time I feared we would never see Silmarillion alluded to so often in the appendices to LOTR, so I was one of the ones eagerly awaiting its publication. You young people would be surprised at how many people my age have 1st edition copies of the Silm - we all got it for Christmas the year it was published. Mine is worn and tea-stained, but I have to admit many of my friends have pristine copies [] . I have read Unfinished Tales and all the HOME volumes as well, although I have yet to buy The Children of Hurin.

[ 04-30-2007, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-movie. My sister read me the first chapter of the Hobbit when I was 10. I didn't like it, because I was into blood and guts and sword fighting, but when I gotout of it in 6th Grade, my class read it, and I liked it, so I borrowed the first LOTR book that was avalible, TTT I sadly note. I wasn't able to lay my hands on FOTR until after I had read TTT and ROTK.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm somewhere between First-born and Edain. I read LotR, Unfinished Tales and the Sil before I even knew about the movies, and might have been an Old Schooler were I born before the Sil came out. But, I was not motivated to read any of HoME until after seeing the Fellowship, and I have still not been able to stomach the Hobbit. Maybe I just started too late.

I would probably not hesitate to classify myself as First-born if it were not for a super-hardcore friend of mine who reads the books every five years eating and sleeping only when the characters do. [] I have never personally witnessed it, so I don't know whether she gets completely haggard or just reads all day long. []

I feel so inadequate as a fan! []

[ 05-03-2007, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had the Hobbit first read to me by my primary school teacher way back in the mid-70s around the time the first Star Wars film came out. Although for the life of me I can't remember which one I saw/read first. The only problem was that my teacher mis-prounced Smaug so when I first read Lotr I had the wrong prouncing of Sauron in my head all the way through []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm between Bakshi and Pre-Movie, much like Silmahtar. I think I read the books for the first time in the mid-late 90s.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5094
posted      Profile for Morgil   Email Morgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an old school book fan having first read the Hobbit at age six.
I didn't read LoTR because my library did not allow children under 14 to draw books from the adult section. Then one day, when I was 11, my geography teacher came into class and put The Fellowship on his desk, I stared at it throughout the lesson and chatted to him about it afterwards. He let me borrow it. I returned it next lesson with an apology for not doing my homework (which he excused on the grounds that LoTR was more important) and borrowed TT, next lesson RoTK. I then saved up my meagre pocket money for the paperback (Now a collector's item.)
I pre-ordered The Silm and collected it on it's release date and have first editions of UT and BoLT 1/2, the rest I have in paperback due to expensive children.

From: The Grey Havens / Wessex | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am, sneaking into an inn for the third time ...

I quote the following of Snöwdog's definitions adding some emphasis myself:
quote:
  • Old-School Book Fan:
    They read Tolkien’s books sometime between the release of the Hobbit (1937) & the Silmarillion (1977). They came to know the world of Middle Earth through the released writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and awaited the release of The Silmarillion to relieve their hunger to know more of Middle Earth. Yet were apprehensive as to whether Christopher Tolkien would do justice to the beloved realm of Middle Earth in print, and were even more reluctant with the Bakshi, Rankin/Bass, & Peter Jackson films.
  • The New-School Book Fan
  • ~The First-Born ~ This group originally discovered the world of Middle Earth after the books Christopher Tolkien released beginning with The Silmarillion in 1977. They include also Unfinished Tales and any of the HoME series. These are the book readers and would have been Old-School Book fans had they been old enough, or had discovered the Hobbit and/or the Trilogy of Lord of the Rings before the Silmarillion came out.
as I find myself in some difficulty to decide in which group I belong. According to the definition of First-Born I would be Old-School, but the definition of Old-School Book Fan seems to suggest I would rather be New-School (First-Born, then).

For this is what actually happened: I first read The Hobbit, in the Dutch translation, in 1975. I followed up with FotR, again in Dutch, later that year or early the next. I didn't read on, not because I didn't like what I read, but because the classmate friend that lent me the Fellowship didn't have the other two volumes. I didn't get them from the public library either, although I was an avid library reader at that time. Possibly I had the same problem as Morgil (I was 12 at the time), I don't recall.

Therefor, I did not "await the release of the Silmarillion" "to relieve [my] hunger", "apprehensive as to" what CRT would have done with it. I was still awaiting the resolution of LotR, though not acute aware of any sense of 'being in suspension'. Certainly, when I returned to the Dutch translations twenty years later, I didn't remember any of the Dutch names. I had even adopted a different translation of the title of Steward than the official one.

For then in 1979, on holiday in England, I bought and read LotR (Unwin Paperbacks 'third edition') in English, was hooked, and bought the other works then published in the same format: Hobbit, Sil, and the 'small tales' in two volumes. I don't recall exactly in which order I bought them, and how many at a time, but I definitely know that I finished LotR with all the appendices, still in England, before I started on Sil, and my recollection is that I finished that when back in the Netherlands.

The next year, in a backstreet bookshop in Southampton, I discovered Foster, and then I bought and read more or less everything as it was published (though in paperback, mainly): UT, Letters, HoMe, Mr Bliss, Roverandom, Finn and Hengest. Only The Monsters and the Critics etc. I didn't discover till ten years after its publication. I also found Strachey and Fonstad (revised edition) sometime during the eighties, as well as Tyler in the Dutch translation (of the New Tolkien Companion, the old one wasn't translated, the new one is rather easy to find in Dutch, unlike its English original).

As to movies, I first saw Bakshi at my students club, that must have been 1982. It was a memorable occasion: at irregular intervals a bass rumbling would sound in my right ear: "clanger!"; in my left ear the counterpoint was an indignant soprano: "that is so not as I imagined it!" (both exclamations translated from the Dutch, of course). I agreed with both. I didn't see Rankin & Bass till the nineties, courtesy of the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor, I don't think they were ever officially distributed in Europe.

Jackson's I saw at release (or rather pre-, having become very active in Unquendor in the meantime). I found them spectacular, rather than superb, gorgeous rather than beautiful. I don't dislike them, although I can understand why some people do. Neither do I adore them, though again I can understand why many people do - with some difficulty. To me, Jackson's movies present a Middle-earth that is different from the one that Tolkien introduced us to, not so much in visualisation, but in 'tone', philosophy and laws (both popular, divine and scientific) that it feels somehow counterfeit.

So, that's me as a Middle-earth fan; or rather M-e enthousiast or ~ appreciator - 'fan' still feels somewhat awkward to me with its association with blind adoration. In fact, the word was officially disapproved of for a long time in the Dutch TS. But as to classification, I feel teetering on the edge between Old-School Book Fan and New-School First-Born.

What's your opinion, Snöwdog?

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Still no opinion, Snöwdog?
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I guess I missed this.. sorry about the delay Mithrennaith.
Yeah, I see what you're saying & I agree about the 'fan' part ... maybe some tweaking of this needs to be done. []

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Thank you for noticing!

And there is no hurry. Though I found this thread interesting, when it was 'live'; and the categorisation of 'fans' thought out well enough to be worth tweaking.

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for bumping this, I'd forgotten about it. Quite an interesting list there!

I suppose I would be:

quote:
The Movie Recruit: They went to the theatre and saw Fellowship of the Ring, and loved it so much they were inspired to go and read the books, finishing the Two Towers and Return of the King before the release of the movie of the same name. Many go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans.
I should hope that I'm now Edain New-School Book Fan...

But it might be interesting to have a category for those of us (like me) who saw Fellowship of the Ring, read the books, the Sil, the UT, the Hobbit, the HoMe, and various other essays, and decided that the movies were horrible abominations... []

[ 03-09-2008, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Nice sub-fora Amárië! []

I'll keep it in mind for the coming revision . []

Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They read Tolkien’s books sometime between the release of the Hobbit (1937) & the Silmarillion (1977). They came to know the world of Middle Earth through the released writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and awaited the release of The Silmarillion to relieve their hunger to know more of Middle Earth.
This, with the correction/omission of the rest of the description.

[ 05-16-2008, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Nimruzir ]

From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scientia Excelsa
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 7316
posted      Profile for Scientia Excelsa   Email Scientia Excelsa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a First-Born. And proud of it!
From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered the books in the eighties, that is, after the Sil was published, but well before there was any talk about live action LOTR movies. I had heard about the Bakshi and Rankin-Bass movies, but dismissed them as "kids' stuff" (and still haven't seen them), so they had no effect on me. So, I guess I'm a New-School Book Fan ~The First-Born.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Middle Earth Fans (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help