Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Middle Earth Fans (Page 1)
Author Topic: Middle Earth Fans
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So what kind of fan are you? Before Dec 2001, there were only 'book fans' and the ones drawn to Tolkien by the P.J. movies were starting to increase with the showings of trailers therough the year.

Now, there seems to be so many uber-experts who have never let their imagination go anywhere who think they know all that everyone is thinking when it comes to Middle Earth.

I break down Middle Earth fans thus:
  • Old-School Book Fan:
    They read Tolkien’s books sometime between the release of the Hobbit (1937) & the Silmarillion (1977). They came to know the world of Middle Earth through the released writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and awaited the release of The Silmarillion to relieve their hunger to know more of Middle Earth. Yet were apprehensive as to whether Christopher Tolkien would do justice to the beloved realm of Middle Earth in print, and were even more reluctant with the Bakshi, Rankin/Bass, & Peter Jackson films.
  • The New-School Book Fan
Of the New-School Book Fans, there are two sub-groups which I call:
  • ~The First-Born ~ This group originally discovered the world of Middle Earth after the books Christopher Tolkien released beginning with The Silmarillion in 1977. They include also Unfinished Tales and any of the HoME series. These are the book readers and would have been Old-School Book fans had they been old enough, or had discovered the Hobbit and/or the Trilogy of Lord of the Rings before the Silmarillion came out.
  • ~The Edain~ Also known as The Adopted. They are the ones from the groups below who were motivated to seek out and delve deep into the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien & Christopher Tolkien and learn and love the true history of Middle Earth.
The Edain are the cream from many of the groups below.

• The Bakshi Recruit: They first discovered Middle Earth by seeing the Bakshi and/or the Rankin/Bass cartoons. Many went on to read the books and delve ever deeper into Tolkiens writings, and essentially become one of the Edain.
  • The “Pre-Movie” Book Fan: They heard there was a Lord of the Rings movie in the making, and after looking into it, decided they wanted to read the books before the first movie came out in Dec 2001. Many go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans.
  • The Movie Recruit: They went to the theatre and saw Fellowship of the Ring, and loved it so much they were inspired to go and read the books, finishing the Two Towers and Return of the King before the release of the movie of the same name. Many go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans.
  • The Peter Jackson Recruit: Different from the Movie Recruit in that they did not start to read the books until after they saw all three movies. Their viewpoint of Middle Earth is seen through the eyes of Peter Jackson, and they note the differences in the books. Some may go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans, but to most their reading of the books are more an afterthought and of a desire to fill in some of the gaps in the movie, leaving the movie as the cannonized definitive word on their concept of Middle Earth.
  • The Hardcore Movie Fan: They went to the movies and loved them! They have no desire to read the books or inclined not to do so anytime soon. The movie is Middle Earth, and they like it as presented. Books are boring. They take too much imagination. Who needs to imagine what Middle Earth is like when Peter Jackson already did it for me? Who reads books anyway?

I'm an Old-School Book Fan myself, though just barely. I read through The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and all the appendices in 1975-76. They were quite magical these books and the world they created in my mind. This caused me to re-read them semi-regularily. Then early in 2000 I heard of the making of the movies, and I approached them with curiosity. I have mixed feelings about them in their aftermath, but I wont get into that here.

So where do you fit in?

[ 04-01-2006, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread idea. []

I fall somewhere in between:
quote:
  • The Bakshi Recruit: They first discovered Middle Earth by seeing the Bakshi and/or the Rankin/Bass cartoons. Many went on to read the books and delve ever deeper into Tolkiens writings, and essentially become one of the Edain.
  • The “Pre-Movie” Book Fan: They heard there was a Lord of the Rings movie in the making, and after looking into it, decided they wanted to read the books before the first movie came out in Dec 2001. Many go on to become Edain New-School Book Fans.

I had seen the Bakshi movie when I was a kid (and even had the coloring book) and the Hobbit TV cartoon. Enjoyed both, but that was about it. It was some dozen years later that I finally got around to reading The Hobbit in the early 90s. Then I heard about the upcoming films and read LOTR in Winter 2001. The Silmarillion then Unfinished Tales followed in Autumn 2001.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that makes me an Old-School Book Fan. []

My grandmother, who worked in a book store, got me The Hobbit when I was a wee child... then I badgered her until she gave me The Lord of the Rings and, later, The Silmarillion.

The movies did, however, bring me back to the books. When it was announced that they would be filming the trilogy, I went out and bought the books and reread them.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am a New-Schooler fan... but only by age. I was 12 by the time I had finished the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and polished off the Silm in my hunger, in 1983...

So that makes me a First Born.

I never really could be bothered with the HoME series though. Seemed a bit redundant to me. To my young mind, Tolkien wrote what he wrote and that was that. I have a little more tolerance for them now, but not much. I did read Tolkiens letters a year later, just curious to learn more about this man and author I revered so well. The rest of it I chalked up to Tolkien's son making a buck from his father's work. []

I recall watching some years later the Bakshi cartoon and was quite simply, in my early teenage wisdom, appalled and horrified!

So, definately, a First Born. []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Old-School Book Fan to First-Born here []
Saw The Hobbit being read on Jackanory by Bernard Cribbins on tv and then read it myself []
Then read LotR and brought The Silm in 1979 []
I didn't even know of The Silm until I stumbled across it on the shelf of a newsagents []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First Born for me.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Old-School Book Fan, with an emphasis on Old. One of my cousins (a year younger) and I avidly read the trilogy during the school year, and then developed games and trivia questions for each other when we visited on brief summer vacations.

I remember asking for The Silmarillion as a birthday present when it first came out in the US. This was a "big deal" for me, because hardcover books were relatively expensive (in my perception and that of my parents), and almost all the other books I had were paperbacks. I did receive a copy, it was the big present, and I still have it many, many years later. It was one of the few books I took with me when I went to work in the UK for several years.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I fit into "Pre-Movie" Book Fan,but I;m not sure if I quite qualify for First-Born status. I read The Hobbit when I was 8, recommended by my Mum, who reads the trilogy every year, and then attempted to start LOTR straight away. Needless to say, I failed. I had a tendancy to being the books and then stop at around Tom Bombadil for the next few years, but finally got my butt in gear to read them before FOTR movie came out when I was 14. I've yet to finish The Silmarillion, and intend to read HoME, UT, Letters, etc when I have time and can afford to buy them (ie after I've finished uni [] ). I've also read Mr. Bliss [] . I borrowed the Bakshi cartoon from a teacher at school when I was 15, and as Elora said,
quote:
was quite simply, in my early teenage wisdom, appalled and horrified!
I think I resigned myself to the fact that the movies would never realistically be able to attain the high standards of the books, but I love them anyway (waits for stones to be thrown). And not just for Orlando [] .
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of the First-born, according to Snowdog's classification.

I dislike the movies, probably because I hoped for them to be good, but was cheated.

But I won't throw stones at the film-fans: they are tolerant people and much happier than us, haters. []

[ 04-03-2006, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: Ulairë Gordis ]

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Another First born. I love the books far more than I ever liked the movies.
I have no dislike for the movies at all, I saw them, I got upset or I gor rewarded depending on the scene but they really made no difference to my Tolkien cosmos, which remains pretty much as it has the entire Second age, uninterested at to goes on outside the borders of my very own imagination.

My only Tolkien related source of anxiety is how to gather enough money to start buying the HoME editions.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To be frank, if it weren't for the movies coming out, I probably wouldn't even have read Tolkien anytime soon -- beyond reading The Hobbit years earlier. I'm more into sci-fi than anachronistic fantasy.

Oh, I may have "gotten to it", meaning The Lord of the Rings at some point. But it certainly wasn't on my "must read" list.

Of course, I'm glad I did. How else would I have come to know The Silmarillion? []

[ 04-03-2006, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Same for me Silm. - I would never had taken a gander at The Silmarillion if it weren't for the impetus the movies provided.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

What's cool is that I didn't really have any expectations about LOTR when I started reading it. I knew it was a 'classic', but that was about it. It was astonishingly wonderful how much of an impression it made on me -- and I was nearly 31 at the time I read it.

And I was totally unprepared for The Silmarillion; when I began reading that, I was completely blown away. That book remains my favorite.

Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and I was nearly 31 at the time I read it.

*Had always assumed Silm to be much youger* []
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Thank you! []

I'm definitely young at heart -- and hope to remain so now that I'm on the "other side" of my 30s. []

Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

Oh no, you're over the hill now! []

- []

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

So true -- just ask my knees after a run. []
Nelyafinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5247

posted      Profile for Nelyafinwë   Email Nelyafinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that makes me Edain. I saw Fellowship, then immediately went out to buy the books because I had to know what happened next.

I prefer the books, and was greatly dissapointed by the second and third movie (especially the treatment of Faramir and the Battle of Pelennor). I've read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and most of the Histories of Middle Earth.

So, that's me.

From: The Green Dragon - forever and always | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good thread, Snowdog!

I am definitely an Old-School Book Fan. I read the Hobbit and LOTR in my freshman year at college and had read them many many times before the Silmarillion came out. Like many Mt'ers, I eagarly awaited the Sil as my Christmas present that year. I have since read HOME and Unfinished Tales and many books about Tolkien.

Last month, inspired by The Notion Club Papers, I bought a book on learning Old English. That is a serious Tolkien addiction!

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of the Edain, I read each book before each movie (FOTR before FOTR, TTT before TTT, ROTK before ROTK), then I read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and some of HoME after ROTK.

Not sure why I didn't read all three in one go before or after FOTR, I'm just weird. []

[ 04-04-2006, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nelyafinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5247

posted      Profile for Nelyafinwë   Email Nelyafinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*remembers when Éomer hadn't finished ROTK, but did an awesome job in a 4th Age RP*

Those were the days.

*misses those RP's* []

From: The Green Dragon - forever and always | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another Old-School Book Fan - although it took me a while to become a really great fan.

A girl in my class was reading LotR when we were about 18 - I remember her talking about 'Strider' and 'Gandalf'. I felt I couldn't really face that great a chunk of English at that point, so I left it until I could find a translation (the first I found, was in Danish, incidentally). I read it and liked it, but it didn't totally thrill me the way that The Chronicles of Narnia had. So I wasn't all that hungry to know more about Middle-earth. []

In 1977 I went to England to study English for a year (yes, I'm an old book fan [] ). I read LotR again in original then, finally buying my own copy. Then one day the University campus book shop was absolutely covered in one new title - The Silmarillion. They had a display of a few square yards just packed with the books. Surely expecting the students to soak it all up.

I picked up a copy, flicked through it, decided it didn't catch my fancy, and didn't look at it again for years. []

I reread LotR though, and also got The Hobbit, and enjoyed it. LotR grew on me. And when I realised in the Appendices how much Tolkien built his alphabets on the phonetics system, it caught my attention, and kindled my interest for his whole world.

Then finally Silmarillion was translated into Norwegian. I tried it again, and read it - I liked the first parts the most, but got a bit lost in the tales about the tragic heroes (and totally lost in the family trees!). I read Unfinished Tales as well, actually less confusing than Silmarillion, especially if you read it afterwards.

Then there were the movies, which I enjoyed - they haven't changed my own pictures of the stories much, though. The most important effect the movies had on me, though, was that they brought me to other Tolkien fans to discuss Tolkien's world. Mainly here on MT. Here I've got more familiar with the Elvish families of the First Age, and those family trees aren't so much of a tangle any more. And ever so often there were new articles I needed to check out, so I've bought half of HoME as a direct result of discussions with MTers (either in the Lit fora or in PMs) or as research materials for RPs in the Green Dragon. I'm most interested in those articles that don't occur elsewhere, though, not so much in the development of the Legendarium.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, a bit of a tricky one this one. I think that I would be New School Book Fan but whether I'm a First Born or one of The Edain is more tricky.

I'd read the Hobbit when I was about seven, but never really enjoyed it (I found it too scary if you can believe that), and for years that meant that I couldn't bring myself to try the LOTR. As I got older I found myself being drawn to LOTR, and must have picked it up and started it, only to get a few chapters in and put it aside, more times than I can count.

Finally in 2001 I did read it, but not as most people think because of the films coming out, but because that was the year I started University, and I met a girl, who is now one of my closest friends, who told me straight out that I'd better read LOTR and even went out and bought the books for me. She was a member of this fair city, but it's been many a year since she last posted.

So I really don't know where I fall. The films certainly weren't the reason I picked up the books, but I also only finally got round to finishing LOTR in 2001 - so I don't think I classify as First Born.

Can I just hang somewhere in the middle? []

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't this topic already been covered to a certain extent?
Although certainly not with the fine and intricate detail crafted here by Snowy.
By this reckoning, I would have to admit that I was a Bakshi recruit who has become one of the Edain.
Give me a little grace, though; I was only 8 or 9 when my mum bought the R/B Hobbit, I didn't know any better.
Being more bookish than movie-ish, I begged for and quickly devoured the Tolkien literature as soon as my parents decided I was old enough to read it.
They didn't think it qualified as 4th grade reading material.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A New-School Book Fan ~ First-Born: I read the H, the LotR, the Sil and UT before the movies, and also BoLT I&II (my nick is from BoLT II).

[ 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Middle Earth Fans (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help