Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » 3 January - Time to Toast the Professor! (Page 1)
Author Topic: 3 January - Time to Toast the Professor!
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time again!

Happy Birthday, sir, wherever you are.
 -

[ 12-29-2005, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éowyn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5311
posted      Profile for Éowyn   Email Éowyn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know when Professor Tolkien had birthday ...

Thanks, Thorin!
[]

From: Austria | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I've signed up. Look under the T's for "Thorin." []
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wouln't it even have been nicer if all Tolkien fanatics toasted at the same time of the day, say at 9.00 PM GMT?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I thought the same thing, but I guess the Society didn't want people chugging beer at 4am in Australia or whatever. I think I have an appointment that night, so I might need to do it earlier or later.

PS. Why did SSA delete her post here about the Professor's birthday being listed in the birthday thread? []

Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Australian bosses would be appreciative of their workers chugging beer at that time of Wednesday, either. []

I could do a toast at 11am Tuesday. [] [that being the time when the UK says hello to JRRT's birthday [] ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*will have no problem toasting at noon* []
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In true Rocky Horror Picture Show fashion...

-

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, I'll probably have one of those at 11am too. []
From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess the Society didn't want people chugging beer at 4am in Australia or whatever.
My impression was that the Ozzies drink beer like normal people drink water or milk. Or is this impression wrong?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Today's the day! Happy Birthday, Mr. Tolkien!

I see some other MT members have signed up for the toast.

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Professor!

... I don't think I ever had to read a 17 lines legal disclaimer before toasting before though []

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
What's "Vodka-O'saft"? And how are you in Denmark and Germany at the same time?

quote:
In this house we obey the laws of physics!
Homer Simpson
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Stands and lifts her glass
The Professor

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

I decided to participate; look for my name under the M of my 'surname' Mithrandir to see what I'll be drinkin'.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

The Professor!

[It's heady stuff [] ; I thought a drink should lessen your thirst, but I've a dry throat now [] ]

[ 01-03-2006, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*clinks glasses with other toasters/posters
From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Valin nostarë Istyar Tolkien!! [] [] []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Professor!

quote:
http://eq5.net/img/tolkimg/jrrtsmoke.gif
Reminds me that as I'm still hosting that picture, I shouldn't move it to a different folder - it could cause trouble for other users []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Oh, do anything you want with it. If you are hosting it, you can decide what to do with it, I think. I was surprised to see you were still doing that - it was several years ago when that first came up, wasn't it?

Back to the topic at hand: 114 years ago was the Professor's birthday. It's rather mind-boggling to think of all the changes since then - as well as all the changes in the collective Western psyche that the Professor was himself responsible for.

Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's "Vodka-O'saft"? And how are you in Denmark and Germany at the same time?
Vodka-O is just wodka+orangejuice. And since DK and DE are in the same timezone i figured it wouldn't matter... []
From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
The Professor!
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, John!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Ronald.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » 3 January - Time to Toast the Professor! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help