Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Postcards from Middle-earth (Page 1)
Author Topic: Postcards from Middle-earth
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This idea came to me as I was looking at a booklet, compiled by my dad, containing photos of and information about a great-uncle who was killed as a fighter pilot in WWII. In my packrat family, it is not unusual for someone to save postcards dated November 1942, and my dad has one from his uncle, sent from pilot training in Arizona. On the front of the postcard is a photo of the airfield, and on the back my uncle writes to my (then 7-year-old) father about how much fun the planes are to fly.

So, the idea of this thread is that you imagine a postcard, sent from one character in Middle-earth to another. Tell us "To whom" and "From whom" (of course), describe the scene depicted on the front of the postcard, and then write a brief message for the back. It can be funny, sad, romantic, homesick, boastful, whatever you like. This may be totally lame and not work at all, but hey, at least it's a Tolkien topic in the Ivy Bush. [] I'll start:

Front of card: A view of Menegroth, with the pillars, fountains of marble, many-colored stone floors, carved beasts and birds, nightengales flitting about.

TO: Círdan Shipwright

Thanks so much for the pearls you sent from the Isle of Balar. The little stunted guys went wild for the things, especially that huge one--Nimphelos (sp.)? Look at the mansions they devised from stone! I call it Menegroth, the Thousand Caves. Come visit, we have plenty of guest rooms.

P.S. Could you send a few more pearls? I don't like the way some of those Dwarves look at my neck...

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: A picture of the Firth of Drengist.

To: The Valar.

Message: Well.. we just arrived in Middle-earth. Ha! Told you I could do it. We are on our way to Morgoth, gonna whoop his butt and take back the Silmarils. Won't you guys be sorry then! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] []
From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Dragon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4422

posted      Profile for Black Dragon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" - The Life of Brian

From: U.K | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: An artistic shot of a young and nubile wild mortal woman, clad in only her hair, frolicking in the forests of Hithlum as deer watch on in fascination.

To: Saeros

Message: When was the last time you got to chase a naked woman through the forests, Saeros? Or any woman for that matter. I'm sure I saw your wife gambolling here only three days ago. She looks fantastic in her hair! A most hospitable lady indeed...

[ 03-08-2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Elora Starsong ]

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aranel Charis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

posted      Profile for Aranel Charis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: Sepia photograph of menacing looking trees packed tightly together. One can just make out a small path intersecting the picture, and a hint of cobwebs in the corner. Greetings from Mirkwood! is displayed in a happy font over the top.

To: Gandalf

Confusticate you Wizards! You just knew something would go wrong as soon as you left me alone with those confounded Dwarves. I feel like some slimey disgusting creature who lurks about in caves under mountains. Don't bother writing back, we'll have all rotten in barrels by then.
Barrels, now there's a thought...

[ 03-08-2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Aranel Charis ]

From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Findaráto Felagund
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5043
posted      Profile for Findaráto Felagund   Email Findaráto Felagund   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To: Saeron
I believe it is Saeros.
From: Nargothrond, Middle-earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip. Have you a postcard to contribute?
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elendil the Faithful
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5033
posted      Profile for Elendil the Faithful   Email Elendil the Faithful   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: The beautiful city of Valmar, with hundreds of white towers and bells, and many silver-paved streets.....

To: Finwe, High King of the Noldor

Message: Hey dad, you might wanna watch out. Melkor is on the loose and I just overheard that he may be after my preciousss.....I MEAN....my silmarils! So be very careful!

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: A vast expanse of sea

To: Elrond and Elros, c/o Gil-galad & Co., Refugee Haven, Mouths of Sirion, So. Beleriand

Dear Boys,

Mom and I are well. It's quite peaceful here on the open sea. Her arm's on the mend after the long swim, and I think the salt air has been really good for my skin. Now that the Silmaril is up and running, we should have a better course charted for the West. Will write again when we get to Uncle Finarfin's. Keep to your studies, listen to what Master Cirdan tells you, and don't wander too far from home.

Love, Dad

ps: If your cousins Maedhros and Maglor drop by, tell them we left on a family visit and should be back by the end of the month.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: A picture of the Second Party Tree, the mallorn, at sunset.

To: Wilcome Cotton.

Message: Dearest Uncle Will, We have a little change of plans. I know I said that we would be coming for a visit this Spring, but it seems that I am pregnant... again. I know, I know! This is number 12. Sam says that he wants a big family... but enough is enough. Do you know any doctors in your area that can perform a vasectomy?

P.S. Sam, Frodo Jr, Rose Jr, Merry Jr, Pippin Jr, Goldilocks, Hamfast Jr, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo Jr and Ruby send their love.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: A view of the newly-refurbished Chamber of Mazarbul, with Balin's seat, mining tools, and mithril ore.

To: Dáin

Message: We've really fixed up the old place, have tons of stuff to sell on Dwarven Antiques Roadshow. Found a vein of mithril, too, so we shall be as rich as that old scalebag Smaug.
Sometimes the neighbors turn up their music too loud though. Lots of drums...

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Singo! I should think that Rosie would never write such personal, private information on a postcard!! [] You know how nosey those dang Hobbits are! [] [] []

Gna: [] []

Front of Card: Halls of Mandos

To: The (surviving) Sons of Fëanor

Boys,

News has reached me that some redneck and his Elven groupie managed to take one of the you-know-what's from you-know-who. You can't begin to imagine my disappointment in you. As my sons, my heirs, I expected more from you. But to allow a man to accomplish what you have sworn to do is an utter disgrace to the family.

Clearly you are too busy galavanting around Beleriand, trucking with loose Sindarin women to fulfill your Oath. Remember what happens to Oathbreakers? Meanwhile, I'm stuck in these lonely halls with no one to converse with, poor accommodations, few exercise and recreational privileges. Even your mother won't come and visit. That I can understand, but your failure -- PARTICULARLY yours, Maedhros, in whom I had so much high regard -- is simpl
[no more room on postcard]

[scribbled -- in fine Fëanorian characters -- on a little corner]
ps: Send magazines -- Popular Mechanics, Economist.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Findaráto Felagund
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5043
posted      Profile for Findaráto Felagund   Email Findaráto Felagund   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks for the tip. Have you a postcard to contribute?
I do indeed.

Front of Card : A map with no markings.

To : Eol

Message : Hey pop, me and mom are heading back to her home in the hidden city of Gondolin. Good luck finding us. Hope the map helps.

P.S. I always did like mom better.

[ 03-09-2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Findaráto Felagund ]

From: Nargothrond, Middle-earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card:
 -

To: Maeglin

Message: Yeah, you're seeing that correctly. I found it. First! I win! Last one down is a rotten lembas. That is, if you can ever make it away from your daddy. *snicker*

Yes, I know Tuor didn't know Maeglin at this time, but it was too funny to pass up.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

Front of Card: black with a grey official stamp.

To: Sauron

Message:We are pleased to offer you a place at this University. The details of our offer are:
Programme: M.D.A.*
Period of Study: Indefinite
Tuition Fee: Potential Enslavement Forever
Please respond promptly.

*Master of Dark Arts

[ 03-16-2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Aranel Charis ]

From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

Front of card: A view of Old Man Willow swaying peacefully over an idyllic stream.

TO: Frodo Baggins

When I said that I had not spoken with Tom Bombadil for some time and that I might like to visit, were you too busy eating purloined mushrooms from Farmer Maggot to do as any true friend might? You well know my memory is not what it once used to be. Why did you think we sat for hours in the desperate cold before the gates of Moria because I fancied some fresh air and hoped for a glimpse of the creature in the pool?

I had forgotten Old Father's relentless singing and recall now, far too late mind you, why I had taken such an extended absense from his company. Furthermore, the Old Forest refuses to grant me escape. I think Goldberry is behind that. Not that I can blame the fair lady. Eternity cooped up with a singing village idiot with bright yellow boots can't be an easy fate to bear alone.

I shan't forget this, Frodo Baggins! My long passed threat to Sam was not an idle one. If you wake one morning feeling distinctly toadish, you shall know its source and had best ensure your garden is free of the snakes that Sam was so perturbed about on that sunny morning. If your letter box explodes in a bright cackle of sparks and whistles, as if a fire cracker had been stuffed in it, you shall know that I have managed to escape this madman here and am presently on my way to find you.

P.S. Do you have any Old Toby Leaf? If you sent me some it would certainly help soothe my wizardly wrath. Send it care of Old Father Bombadil. You know the address.

Morgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5094
posted      Profile for Morgil   Email Morgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
front of card completely black
to Manwe
Dear Mannie
How are you all? Hope you're all well. Look I know I went a little over the top but surely even you boring dudes have seen the joke by now. Anyway, any chance I might visit? cause I'm stuck out here with Sauron and he's a load of no fun I can tell you.
Hope to see you soon
your old pal Melkie.
P.S. Have you still got my music collection?

From: The Grey Havens / Wessex | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of card a little wooden house in the middle of forest, very humble

To: Singollo of Doriath

Text: Dad ... I should have listened to you ...

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card: A picturesque view of Parth Galen, with drawn on black-feathered arrows at each of the corners.

To: Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith.

Message: Father, my profound apologies for not getting back to you sooner. After my last postcard from Rivendell, the journey has taken much longer to return, and the people I’ve been with had dilly-dallied much. Our leader died, too, so that was a great loss.

I have laid my eyes on the prize. I was caught up in the power of it for much of the trip, and then upon finally having my chance to take it from the Halfling, something stopped me from claiming it. I write back to you now, sorrowful over my blindness to Isildur’s bane. Please accept my apology now that I will not be returning with it. Instead I
[message breaks off ¾ down the card; in sloppy writing someone else has written…] wil tak mi leev of absenz an stae heer in the forrust a bit. i hav an orful paen in mi chest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E: apologies to literate orcs. []

[ 03-20-2005, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Front of Card: Amon Lanc rising out of southern Mirkwood.

To: Thorin Oakenshield

Message: Dear son, How are you doing? I hope that everything is going well in Ered Luin. After much wandering we have arrived in southern Mirkwood and I have found a hill that looks promising. My companions don't think so, but the ring on my finger tells me that there's mithril in that hill! We've noticed quite an imposing and dark castle on top of the hill. I have finally convinced my companions that the best course of action is just to go up and knock on the gates and ask if we can start digging. I'm sure we will have to agree to give them 20% of the profits or whatever is customary in this part of the world. Oh well, there's always a catch. Ha, ha! Wish me luck!

Love, Dad

[ 03-20-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

Front of Card: Just to Remind You...

To: Saruman

Message: Your dry cleaning is ready for pick up. We hope you are satisfied with our services. Please recommend us to your friends!

Elendil the Faithful
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5033
posted      Profile for Elendil the Faithful   Email Elendil the Faithful   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of Card A wide, green wood with an isle in the middle. It appears to be abandoned......

To The Sons of Fëanor

Message Well well you a-holes! Not only did you NOT kill me, but I even took one of your precious silmarils from the Iron Crown, and my hot-ass wife, who you FAILED to kidnap, is wearing it around her neck!(Scribbled, as if written while busy)i ll s ee y a rou nd, i m prett y b usy ri ght now, i f ya kn o wh at i mean he he.......

From Beren Erchamion

[ 03-21-2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Elendil the Faithful ]

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Findaráto Felagund
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5043
Front of Card: Opened gate of Moria.

To : Thrain

Message : Hey son, I just got back to our old home of Moria. It is so beautiful. Well, I'll send for ya' in a few days. Theres' a bunch of confounded mice making drum noises though. Have a mysterious feeling that I'm being watched...

Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Front of card: An eclipse of the Sun

everything is going just fine up here, you have nothing to worry about. As you can see Tilion is again in that mood,but I am speeding up to avoid it.
PS Morgoth is a very shy guy by the way, nothing like you guys said, each time I drive by him he tries to find a place to hide .... such a sweet guy.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Postcards from Middle-earth (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help