Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 7)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Silvanis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4926
posted      Profile for Silvanis   Email Silvanis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
book generation (i think)
well im too young to have know of the books that long before the moive but i had just finished ROTK when i heared that the movies where comming out so i guess as you you put it in the first post im book generation

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Im not crazy because i take the right pills"

whats the officer, problem

From: i dont know IM LOST!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gimilkhad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2746

posted      Profile for Gimilkhad   Author's Homepage   Email Gimilkhad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation!

I had already read all of the books at least three times before I even heard of a movie being made! By the times the movies actually came out I had read them a couple more times. So I would definately say that I am from the book generation.

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Papyrus Generation. []
From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, nothing quite like papyrus.... the unique texture beneath your fingers... Well put Kalkin! []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the movie generation -- that is, the animated Hobbit and LOTR that I saw long before I read any of Tolkien's books. I even had an LOTR coloring book based on the Bakshi abomination... []

I was a sci-fi head mostly, and although was a D&D player in my youth, I pretty much avoided the entire fantasy genre. Not enough gadgets and gear, mind you. And I had mistakenly lumped the Professor in that group, not realizing that he was the progenitor of them all (and against whom everyone pales in comparison, IMO).

Some 15 years ago I read and enjoyed The Hobbit and left it at that until I learned that the films were being made. So, I finished LOTR about a year before the first film, then devoured Sil and UT, all the time wondering, "Why didn't I read him before??" Better late than never, I suppose. []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Findaráto Felagund
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5043
posted      Profile for Findaráto Felagund   Email Findaráto Felagund   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am probably from the movie generation, but I myself read the books before seeing the animated renditions of them.(which I thought were done fairly well by the books)
From: Nargothrond, Middle-earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am Papyrus as well []
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CALVUS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4983
posted      Profile for CALVUS   Email CALVUS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation.

My mother told me the story of the Hobbit in bits and pieces. I read the book, then the LoTR books. And then the Sil. Saw the Ralph Bakshi animated movie in 1980.

From: BANGLADESH | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the Late Book Period. I read the books in the late 1990s, just a couple years before the movies came along. I don't recall whether I read The Hobbit or LotR first but I definitely read one after the other because I purchased them at the same time.

Since then I've acquired and read Silm, UT, and bits and peices of Letters and HoME.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ancalagon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5093
posted      Profile for Ancalagon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Hobbit before the movies came, I didn't know at first it was related to LOTR, untill I started to remember Bilbo and Gollum. than after seen the Fellowship, I got the Hobbit and re-read it, than I bought The Lord of The Rings,and The Silmarillion, the most recent I have bought are The Letters of JRR Tolkien and Unfinished Tales.

I have read The Hobbit 2x, LOTR 2x, The Silmarillion (my fav. book) 4x, and just finishing Unifinished Tales, sometime I take a look at Letters of JRR.

Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn19
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5124
posted      Profile for Eowyn19   Email Eowyn19   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation
But, belive it or not, I came to know about LOTR first from the cartoon when I was five year old. I was so fascinated with it, and especially with Frodo that I walked without anything on my feet for a month ( which had driven my mum mad ).
Than when I was older ( 14 ) my father gave me the book, and since then I've read it 10-11 times.

Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5094
posted      Profile for Morgil   Email Morgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation.
I discovered the Hobbit in my school library when I was six. I borrowed it so often the school refused to lend it to me any more. LOTR followed a few years later; and the other books as they were released.

From: The Grey Havens / Wessex | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book.

It's the real thing.

Jackson's movie was a good visual interpretation, but I would've done a few things differently.

From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation without a doubt.

I first read The Hobbit seven years, and LotR six years, before The Fellowship was released into theatres and I've reread LotR about 34ish times since then and The Hobbit well into the several hundreds.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leirdalag
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5155
posted      Profile for Leirdalag   Email Leirdalag   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
im not sure what i am..........i read the hobbit in 6th grade(almost 4 years ago) then my mom brought fotr home one day and i watched up to when merry, pippin, sam + frodo are all hiding from the black rider, then i trotted down to the library and got a huge copy of lotr, read it in a week then watched the rest of the movie.

[ 05-27-2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Leirdalag ]

From: Locked in a Hollow Tree in Lothlorien | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merry Bombadillo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5008
posted      Profile for Merry Bombadillo   Author's Homepage   Email Merry Bombadillo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to be from the movie generation, simply because I saw FotR first. That's what got me to read the books, and I have to admit that I prefer them.
From: Cardiff, Wales | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The books or the movie?
From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books first in 1980, though I must admit I had seen Rankin & Bass' cartoon version of The Hobbit before that. I've read the trilogy at least once a year ever since, and The Hobbit and The Silmarillion several times as well.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippin the fierce
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4487
posted      Profile for Pippin the fierce   Author's Homepage   Email Pippin the fierce   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from movie generation, and I blame Bakshi or whatever.

When I was younger, my dad used to read me LotR and Hobbit all the time. I didn't listen, because of the animations. I hated them so much I didn't read the books or anything. Then, when I saw the previews for FotR, I was blown away. I read the Hobbit, loved it, saw FotR, read the books twice. I am trying to read them annually, and it is sort of working...

It's all Bakshi's fault!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other guy die for his." - Gen. George S. Patton

"We can't make you do something, but we can make you wish you had."

From: The greatest place on earth-VIRGINIA!!! | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Yo, Thubeldhia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5070

posted      Profile for Yo, Thubeldhia   Email Yo, Thubeldhia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw LOTR cartoon version twice, and I didn't like it... Some years after I read the books, quite a long time before the movies were announced. In fact Hidalgo and I tried many times to make the proper casting if we were to make a movie on it []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MT Beauty of the Year 2006
Mother of Lentil
In Deo Spes Mea
Valer o Morir

From: Far far away | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Fabio should play Boromir.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I see Bill O'Reilly as Denethor.
From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MUR, you'd make a horrible director! [] []

O'Reilly should absolutely be cast as Aragorn! []

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, however, I'd think that Liam Neeson would be the best Aragorn.

-

"As Frodo drew near he threw back his hood, showing a shaggy head of dark hair flecked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes....
'Little do I resemble the figures of Elendil and Isildur as they stand carven in their majesty in the halls of Denethor. I am but the heir of Isildur, not Isildur himself. I have had a hard life and a long; and the leagues that lie between here and Gondor are a small part in the count of my journeys.'"

"For nearly thirty years he laboured in the cause against Sauron; and he became a friend of Gandalf the Wise, from whom he gained much wisdom. With him he made many perilous journeys, but as the years wore on he went more often alone. His ways were hard and long, and he became somewhat grim to look upon, unless he chanced to smile; and yet he seemed to Men worthy of honour, as a king that is in exile, when he did not hide his true shape."

He's also 6'4".

- <---------Who the heck let THIS "Don-Juanabee" in here?

[ 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hidalgo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1083
posted      Profile for Hidalgo   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that late Peter Cushing would have been a perfect Denethor.
From: Madrid - Spain | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help