Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 6)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Queen Varda
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4323
posted      Profile for Queen Varda   Email Queen Varda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Books, books, companion books, Tolkiens other non-LOTR writings ... did I say books?

I am so torn about the movies. on one hand, I'm glad PJ did a good job with the scenery, so I have a better idea in my head while reading. and I liked the way the cast looked (not necessarily all their lines).

on the other hand, I'm a little selfish - Middle Earth seemed like my own little get-a-way, and now soooo many people are familiar with it but in the WRONG WAY. not the true Tolkien way.

I could go on, better save it for another thread in the right place.

From: Taniquetil | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harlow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4068
posted      Profile for Harlow   Email Harlow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Movie then book... i saw the fellowship and was absolutly blown away so i had know what happened next so i read the books and have been obsessed ever since
From: Everywhere you want to be | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I came to posses the hole collection of Tolkien's books in 1994, when I was 14. I started reading them a year later,slowly is the truth, but I finished them after two years, without practicaly ever, reading anything else for that period. It was a life altering experience in many ways, it was a travel to lands I have dreamt as a child but I may never have imagined them as an adult. I belong to the oldest generation, the one who met Tolkien by the books he wrote but I am very pleased with the making of a moovie based on his works, for made his meanings spread to new ears and the begging of a new Tolkien generation that started with the moovies is, to me, the beggining of a hope. Besides what matters isn't where you start from, it's where you end up.

[ 02-06-2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Anorien ]

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queen Varda
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4323
posted      Profile for Queen Varda   Email Queen Varda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
nice words, Anorien. wish I could have said it so perfectly.
From: Taniquetil | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anorien said:
quote:
I came to posses the hole collection of Tolkien's books in 1994
Are you sure? Please check out this web-page: A Chronological Bibliography of the Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien compiled by Åke Bertenstam
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wowza! Well, that page just went into MY favorites! Thanks, Maerbenn
From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellanor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1515
posted      Profile for Ellanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation. I love both the written word . . and the filmed version . . there is room for both. []
From: The Shire | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say movie... but after i saw the films, I read the books!!! []
From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caro
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4509
posted      Profile for Caro   Email Caro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the movie generation.

I've seen and loved the Lord of the Rings movies. The LOTR movies are the reason why I recently started to read FOTR. I had a hard time to get into FOTR but I like it now. I'm currently reading the chapter ''A Journey in the Dark''. I'll begin The Two Towers as soon as I'm done with Fellowship of the Ring. I'm looking forward to reading more Tolkien books.

From: Province of Quebec (Canada) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4497

posted      Profile for Hoom   Email Hoom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books just before FotR came out, and do prefer them to the movies. I would consider my self of the movie generation though, as I only read the books because of the hype caused by the movies.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
a.k.a - Satori, Satorissima Australis

It's a dangerous business going out your front door.

From: Sydney | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

posted      Profile for White Maiden   Email White Maiden   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First and Formost book generation, []
Though I thoughroghly enjoy the films, they never transport me the way the books do.
And although I only read the books 3 years before the films we made, when I was ten, I still retain all my interpretations of characters and events that captured me six years ago []

[] I love the books []
I know I'm in the wrong place, I apologize Hidalgo

[ 04-16-2004, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: White Maiden ]

From: New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hidalgo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1083
posted      Profile for Hidalgo   Edit/Delete Post 
Has any of you bothered to see where are you posting?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am unworthy to remain a citizen of MT, so pay no heed to my words.

In Deo Spes Mea.

From: Madrid - Spain | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the Fellowship just before I saw the movie and I really reget it, I wish I read it earlier. I lost my own Frodo, Sam and the other characters in the first book... But luckily I still have Eowyn and Eomer and the others []
From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
posted      Profile for Leto Atreides   Author's Homepage   Email Leto Atreides   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with Queen Varda. After having read the books before watching the movie I must say, althought the movies are not bad, they do not to the books any justice whatsoever.

You are right, people who watch the movie get the wrong image of Middle-Earth and it's inhabitants.

For example alot of people see Frodo as a sissy. And Denethor in the Return of the King is portrayed as some greedy, selfish, cruel idiot, when he is in fact noble and honourable, but is driven in sane by Sauron.

There are many more things that I can say in relation to this but instead I wall conlcude by saying that I am not from the movie generation, but from the book generation.

[ 04-16-2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Leto Atreides ]

From: Caladan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erufailar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3417

posted      Profile for Erufailar   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books about a year before the movie came out. Then, I started the Silmarillion, but I read it on and off. I finished it a bit before the ROTK movie came out (yeah, I'm lazy sometimes). At least I can imagine what the Silm and unmentioned characters from the LOTR looked like without PJ's interpretation...
From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippin the fierce
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4487
posted      Profile for Pippin the fierce   Author's Homepage   Email Pippin the fierce   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard and somewhat read some of LotR before the movie came out, but, after seeing the first movie, I went back and read them. []
From: The greatest place on earth-VIRGINIA!!! | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pallando
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2287
posted      Profile for Pallando   Email Pallando   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I found the LotR trilogy while looking through a library at least a year before any mention of a movie. Lost count of the amount of re-readings of the Trilogy after the tenth time... I've been collecting on the books ever since. The Simarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The Tolkien Reader to name a few.

I think there are things Jackson should've left alone, and others he should have kept, and the amount of LotR fanfics have gone up because of girls' facinations of the characters. In fact, I prefer the cartoon movies then his, in some ways. But what's done is done, and none of us has a time machine. Maybe someday in days to come someone will makee a version that pleases both the hard-core Tolkien fans and the casual movie goers.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading the books right before I saw the movie 'cause my dad said I had to read them, so, I dunno if I'm from the movie or the book generation.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.'
- Edmund Burke

From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I just saw Maebern's post. It was my mistake, when I talk of "my book collection" I talk about The Silm, The Hobbit, Lotr and Unfinished Tales. The rest of the pieces are dramaticaly difficult to come by in my country and I am still trying to.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Her Majesty the High Duchess of Torture and Pain.
Server of the Sun
~
Athene and Arien the Maia:
Overtaking posters since 2003

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
posted      Profile for Incanus   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books first. My brother told me that I should read the Fellowship at least (he had been nagging me about the books for ages).
Once I read that, I sped right through the TT and RotK in a week. After that I read the hobbit( I pulled a George Lucas. Started in the middle.) Then I saw the movies. One thing, what is HoME and where can I get it?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
HoMe = The History of Middle-earth, a twelve volume series of earlier writings on Middle-earth. Gives much info on the earlier stages of the tales which have been published in the Silm (= The Silmarillion) and UT (= Unifinished Tales).

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor -Laurelin-
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3717

posted      Profile for -Laurelin-   Email -Laurelin-   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can find Vol I & III pretty easily on Amazon - but for Vol II, Good luck, I still look-for.

That is, if you don't buy them individually.

[ 01-08-2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: -Laurelin- ]

From: Québec | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I come from the book generation of Tolkien enthusiasts. I am glad to say that I read the books twice before the movies came out. I will never forget my interpretation of the books due to PJs interpretation.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's here it for the BOOOOOOOKKKKKKKSSSSSSS! []

I found Lord of the Rings quite by accident when I was twelve. I was stalking through the local library in my very small town, having read most of it already, and I was on a hunt for anything large enough to keep me going for more than a day. Being a fast reader, and a very long way from a source of new books, I knew I had to check my rate of consumption of books in the library or spend my adolescence utterly bored.

Let's just say that this was before the days of modern, new fangled, home entertainment systems and the cows were sick of playing with me by the time I was 12.

To my enduring delight, I was swept away. Not only did it take me a week to read it (school and the farm kept getting in my way), but I was entranced. Captivated, I raced back to the library to find whatever Tolkien books I could. At the time, they had The Hobbit and The Silmarilion in their collection. The History of Middle Earth didn't find its way to me until I was mid teens and able to access other towns and their libraries.

Since the age of 12, I have read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and The Silmarilion every year, at least once a year. Of course, I am NOT going to say how many years I have spent in such a fashion since the age of 12. []

It was the news that a movie was to be made that brought me onto the net in search of information about it. So, the movies introduced me to the international web communities of fans. I still vastly prefer my books to the movies, but I do take my hat off to PJ. It was no small task and he did alright, even if I do have a catalogue of things I would do differently that is longer than my arm. []

So, let's hear it for the books. My life is so much the richer for them. []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5019
posted      Profile for Mirë   Email Mirë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oi...book generation. []

My brother, good little flower-child that he was, turned me on to them.

Spawning a so-far life-long love of all the mythology that the professor gave us.

Am nearly convinced that I am a changeling, and my true personna is Goldberry. Bright River-daughter. []

But...I love the movies, too. Though I'm not in then...(grrr!!) Bit the visuals make up for any short-comings, in my mind.

The first sight of Imladris, for example...breathtaking. More perfect than I could have imagined. So though PJ omitted and tweaked things to suit time constraints, I do believe he did so with the best of intentions, and a true love of ME in his heart.

Love 'em both. Books and movies. []

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help