Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 5)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Hardraada
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1185
posted      Profile for Hardraada   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am 14 so you may think film.

I finished the Return of the king February 2001 so I just grasp the book generation. Never seen the Bakshi film, were they the cartoon ones?

[ 08-29-2003, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Hardraada ]

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Definately the book generation!! []
From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say book generation, though I actually didn't read the books til '97! (I've made up for lost time by reading the series 3 or 4 times a year since then.) A boyfriend, now defunct, got me to read them in exchange for him reading another book. The boyfriend is gone but the books remain:)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
... and while Angband was beseiged and its doors shut there were green things even among the pits and broken rocks before the doors of hell.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Both actually. I heard part of LOTR at a friend's house at a sleepover a year or two before the movies were ever announced, and was intrigued. I saw the first one, LOVED it, bought and read all three of the books before FotR was ever out of theaters, and have moved on to read the Silm and part of UT.
From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyElessarwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3843

posted      Profile for LadyElessarwen   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read The Hobbit and LOTR in 1975 at the age of 23!!! Up till then I had been fascinated by SciFi books for several years. The transition to Tolkien was very comfortable for me. I loved JRRT's stories then and moreso now. The settings and characters are so rich in details. Not to mention the complex histories of the peoples of ME are thoughtfully crafted. In the years following my first readings animated cartoons were rendered and I ignored them because I figured it would be a travesty of JRRT's works. When I heard about Pj's movies I was mildly interested. When I saw FOTR I was amazed at how well he captured what I remembered to be the books' storyline. However, it was not till after seeing FOTR-EE and TTT that I picked up and reread the books again (28 years later!). Upon rereading I discovered how much I had forgotten and how much PJ had modified. Disappointed? Annoyed? Not at all. I accepted PJ's license to change and I enjoy these movies immensely. Among many benefits to me after seeing the movies is that I now have "faces" to go with the book characters.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undomiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfilment. ROTK,Bk 6, Ch 5.

From: Commonwealth of Virginia, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dondur
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3928
posted      Profile for Dondur   Email Dondur   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Defianlty the book genaration its so mush better than in the movies. There is a lot more in hte books for a start and more emotional as well.
From: Gondor | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherl
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3828

posted      Profile for Sherl   Email Sherl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of the movie generation and proud of it, although I read LoTR before watching the movies.
From: 221b Baker Street | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nessime Lisen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3903

posted      Profile for Nessime Lisen   Author's Homepage   Email Nessime Lisen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Hobbit long before I saw the movies, but that's a little different. So I guess technically I'm from the movie generation. I guess I would say that the movies were my first love. Nomatter how much in love you are with the person you are with, maybe that person is even "the one," you'll always look back fondly on your first love. I'll always love the movies, but the books mean so much more to me now.

Edit: sentence structure

[ 09-29-2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Nessime ]

From: North of the 45th Paralell | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Hobbit and the first few chapters of the Silmarillion long befor the LotR movies came out. The Hobbit was (and still is) my second favorite book and I read it many times. I also knew about the LotR trilogy but never read them. I even thought the order went as follows: 1) LotR; 2) FotR; 3)RotK. Then I watched the movie, and I barely even saw it. I told my dad that I didn't want to go see it with him and my uncle, but I made the last minute decision to go. If I hadn't I don't think I'd be here today on MT.

[ 09-29-2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Rochwen en'tinu Eilonwy ]

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnkell
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3864

posted      Profile for Arnkell   Email Arnkell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Read "The Hobbit" when I was eleven, in 1990, liked it a lot.
Then, when I heard that the movie was going to come out, I regretted not having read LOTR before, I knew so many others that had.
I bought the illustrated mega-edition and paved through it just one month before the premiere of "Fellowship".

Some of you book-gens might feel it was a loss for me to see Alan Lee's illustrations and get a subjective view of things, but I'll tell you, finishing off the book a week before the premiere, then going to the movies and seeing Alan Lee's creations implanted directly in the movie, from Orthanc to Moria to even Galadriel's silver ewer...that was bliss for me. It was so faithful.

Then I bought and reread "The Hobbit" in english, followed by the new Silmarillion. Simply wonderful.

Currently I've bought volume two and three of the Complete History of Middle Earth.
Volume one was out so I haven't started on them yet, I like to read them in order.

Maybe I should read Unfiníshed Tales while waiting for CHoME I to arrive?
Or is that perhaps unwise, chronologically speaking?

[ 09-30-2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Arnkell ]

From: Sueonia, Land of strife | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, go ahead and read Unfinished Tales. [] It mostly deepens the stories and characters in the Silmarillion and the LOTR.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Books. I first read The Hobbit as a small child and LotR at about the age of ten. I read The Silmarillion, Letters and UT as soon as they were published and at various stages the 'smaller' stories (Leaf by Niggle, Farmer Giles of Ham, etc). I have read the first three parts of HoME, plus WJ and MR and found them interesting, but less enjoyable - the Lays is probably my favourite of those, though sadly all the HoME volumes plus Letters disappeared in one of many house moves. [] The one I enjoy most varies with my mood, but it is usually The Hobbit.

I enjoyed the movie of FotR, TT less, though it was ok - I don't have particularily strong feelings about them, except that it is a good thing that they have introduced many more people to the books. By the way, you can keep Legolas (cute though he is) - I'll stick with Aragorn ... or maybe Eowyn ... no, Aragorn ... no, ... []

From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erúvë The 3/4 Wit
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3751
posted      Profile for Erúvë The 3/4 Wit   Author's Homepage   Email Erúvë The 3/4 Wit   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading The Hobbit before I even heard of the movies, then, the school year ended and I completely forgot about the trilogy. Then I saw a bit of The Fellowship, but not with much interest. It was the fact that everyone in my 'especially talented class' had read or was reading Lord of the Rings, so I didn't want to look stupid. I read the trilogy, and every now and then watched the movie while reading it... so I don't know if I'm in the 'movie generation' or 'book generation'.
From: The land of no sales tax... I wish. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erúvë The 3/4 Wit
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3751
posted      Profile for Erúvë The 3/4 Wit   Author's Homepage   Email Erúvë The 3/4 Wit   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading The Hobbit before I even heard of the movies, then, the school year ended and I completely forgot about the trilogy. Then I saw a bit of The Fellowship, but not with much interest. It was the fact that everyone in my 'especially talented class' had read or was reading Lord of the Rings, so I didn't want to look stupid. I read the trilogy, and every now and then watched the movie while reading it... so I don't know if I'm in the 'movie generation' or 'book generation'.
From: The land of no sales tax... I wish. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1168

posted      Profile for Turambar   Author's Homepage   Email Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading the books since 1998.
I loathe the movies.
I despise them.
I cannot believe a true fan of Tolkien's works could've made them.

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3861
posted      Profile for Phoenix   Email Phoenix   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I'm definently the book generation, though my citizen number suggests otherwise. It went like this. I read the books in middle school a few years back and liked them. I then read them over, read the Hobbit, and the Sil. I tried to read HoME but I thought it was boring. About maybe three months after I finished my readings on Tolkien, I learned that PJ was making movies. It was quite a surprise for me.

Bahksi? Bakshi? Some spelling, I don't know it, I watched the cartoon movie by him when I learned the FotR was coming out later in that year and hated that toonie film. That balrog scarred me for life...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...the great fiery bird fell from the sky. It crashed into the ground, and turned to ashes. From the ashes, a fierce cry was heard, and the phoenix rose up again in an inferno of wrath and fury.

From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serafina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4018

posted      Profile for Serafina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm book generation too, although I was about 17 before I came across LOTR - I've read it many times since then, plus The Hobbit, The Silm, UT, Farmer Giles, Tom Bombadil and others.

I have mixed feelings about the movies; I did enjoy them, but some of the changes made me very annoyed.

Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firien Inuyasha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4014
posted      Profile for Firien Inuyasha   Email Firien Inuyasha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Elf Queen of Mirkwood!!! It's me, Firien...remember??? Hehe. [] Better have not have forgotten my new screen name. Ahem. Back to business. Well, i learned it from Elf Queen of Mirkwood and Astar..l the Sorrowful. Hmmm, i forgot her screen name. []
I consider myself both. I love the movies, and the books are awesome. In my opinion, you can't compare the two, 'cause they're two different categories: the movie is the visual, the book is the origional.
Oh yea, i love the Sim., and the Histories.

[ 11-14-2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Firien Inuyasha ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows- only time.
And who can say if your love grows, as you heart chose- only time.
-Enya, Only Time
Who knows?- Only time.

From: Its raining again in WA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have been from the movie generation, but sadly enough my dad showed me enough stupid movies I didnt want to watch them!

Like Pip said, people started reading the books AFTER the movies. But personally, I dont think that should be. I mean, ya the movies are great. But when you read a book, you have your own way of imagining everything. If you see the movie first, well there goes that. Which is why I made sure to read LoTR a million times before seing the movies. []

[ 11-14-2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Beauty Gives Me Voice

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're a good and wise woman Guinevere! It is a point truely reflected in much of the fan-art I've seen since the Fellowship came out in 2001. Used to be many an artist would draw pics of Aragorn, Legolas, Arwen, Eowyn, etc that looked different from each other because the characters were pictured as the artist's minds saw them from their reading. Now, So much looks like Viggo, Orlando, Liv, and Miranda.

One thing is there are alot of Tolkiens world that is never touched on in PJs fanfic, and that is what defines a 'bookie' from a 'filmie' []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel II
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3936
posted      Profile for Estel II   Email Estel II   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hardraada, I'm in the same boat as you, only forteen. Though I had read the books by late 2000. Re-read them many times by now, however.
From: New Zealand | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing is there are alot of Tolkiens world that is never touched on in PJs fanfic, and that is what defines a 'bookie' from a 'filmie'
Does watching the films over and over to see all the hot guys make me a filmie? []
I sure hope not.

Hehe only fourteen. Im such a youngin. Of course Ive read the books a million times over, but I dont think that just reading them once is wrong. Its if someone enjoys them and understand the meaning of them. And yes, the characters in the movie look different from in the books, but hey, I dont see any real elves out there. Do you?!?!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Beauty Gives Me Voice

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beleg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3671
posted      Profile for Beleg   Email Beleg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, erm, I can be called, moreorless the Internet generation. I heard about The Hobbit from a website. Found it intresting and read it. From there I gained familiarance with Lord of the Rings and since the movie had re-established it's fame, it was easily avalable in the market and spurred by all the publicity I read it although I never watched the movies until after I was well into Tolkien's world.

I have read Lord of the Rings twice and The Silmarillion twice too and am currently on my third re-reading of Unfinished Tales.

From: Pakistan | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Squib
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3200

posted      Profile for Radagast the Squib   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the book generation shall prevail as where else can you see the satisfaction in picking out PJ's mistakes.... []

[ 01-05-2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Radagast the Bird Tamer ]

From: Somewhere in Mirkwood | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsutsi and Tisza
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4190
posted      Profile for Tsutsi and Tisza   Email Tsutsi and Tisza   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am from the book generation for sure. My mom imported the UK LOTR to the US before it was widely available - late 50's, and read it to her kids aloud cover-to-cover maybe 5 times before we left home. One of my first homesick requests from college was my own hard cover copy, which is now all taped together and read to my kids (middle of the third time read-aloud, not counting when they sneak it off to read to themselves). I can do purist rage pretty well, but have in the end enjoyed the movies and resulting discussion - brings fresh appreciation, in the form of both insight reflected from the movie (many insights, now that I think about it) and relief/ renewed pleasure in the beauty and vividness of Tolkien’s own words.
From: middle Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help