Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 4)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the books about 2 months before i heard about the movie. when i heard about the movie i said cool but now i say,"DIE PETER JACSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruantalon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2969

posted      Profile for Eruantalon   Email Eruantalon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Both . I really love the book , but I started reading when the first movie came . I love the movies but I'am a very slowly reader .
From: Germany,Schmallenberg | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keran
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3408

posted      Profile for Keran   Author's Homepage   Email Keran   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually a bookie. The movies are OK, but the boks are my favorite.
From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaron of the Wild
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3133
posted      Profile for Elaron of the Wild   Email Elaron of the Wild   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
started reading the books when i first heard that there was a movie coming out and all of my friends acted like it was the best thing to ever happen.
Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatáriel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2904
posted      Profile for Alatáriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read "there and back again" and LOTR for the first time 10 years ago, and Sil for the first time I think 3 years ago. I have re-read them several times since.

when I first heard there was gonna be a film, I was very happy. but I decided not to read the books again until I had seen the first film (which I later found out was a great idea). so I didn't read LOTR for two years, and then saw FOTR - and really thought it was great! then I re-read the books before i saw TT (bad idea). really didn't think TT is that great a movie!

like the films - but I'm definitely a bookie! I do like to discuss the movies though... that I do with great passion []

From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maikatellumaiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1301

posted      Profile for Maikatellumaiel   Author's Homepage   Email Maikatellumaiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'd have to say I'm from the book generation. I loved LotR and Tolkien before I even knew that there was going to be a movie. But I love the movies too, in their own right as movies. I think Peter Jackson did a good job.
From: Over there looking at a thing in a bag. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien daughter of Melian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2121

posted      Profile for Luthien daughter of Melian   Author's Homepage   Email Luthien daughter of Melian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation! [] I read the books in 8th grade and then 2 years later they brought out the movies, which are good but books win!
From: The Shire | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the book generation. I read LOTR for the first time in the mid-1980s, when the only movies about it were the infamous animations, and later proceeded to The Hobbit, the Sil, and the UT.

Still, I've also liked the movies, despite some changes I wouldn't have made myself. I've been just amazed how many of the actors very much resemble the image of the characters I had made in my mind. Besides, I'm mothering a couple of members of the movie generation - the FOTR movie really turned them on, and made the older one delve into the books as well. []

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Movie man. I didn't even hear about the movie (or the books) until just before it came out, and after I saw it I thought it was pretty good. Then I started reading the books and finished FotR just after the it came to DVD, and loved it!!! Saw the movie and fell in love, and in three more weeks I had read the other two. Since then I have read the Sil and UT.

The TT wasn't in my opinion all that great, I mean I liked the FotR ( liked is an understatement), but I guess since I had read the books and saw it with a lot of preconceived notions, found it very disappointing. []

So, in a way, I am glad that I saw the movie first, cuz I probably wouldn't have liked as much had I not. That said I can't wait for RotK!! I think it will be even better than the Fellowship. (At least I hope so. It is supposed all of my favorite scenes). But we'll see. []

From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation, I read the book and joined Minastirith before I knew there was going to be a film of it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
What do you despise? By this are you truly known.

From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aelish
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3520

posted      Profile for Aelish   Email Aelish   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Book~ish generation. My brother is the type that reads obsessively. He is four years my junior, but has read twice as much fantasy/fiction as I have.

His usual routine is to start a book at 4 o'clock in the afternoon and read it straight through. He did this with the LotR trilogy and then wouldn't stop talking about it for the next month. This was two years ago.

He finally convinced me to read the trilogy...and I was hooked. I've read the Silm and LotR twice through now, though not in marathon fashion like my brother. So, I claim book~ish only because my brother introduced me to them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Live each day to the fullest for fortune favors the bold.

From: It's kinda like playing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego." | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My introduction to the world of Tolkien was when I was working in a library because of a school project, and got bored, and picked up ROTK and started reading. I didn't know what order they were in back then!
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banazîr
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3466

posted      Profile for Banazîr   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I only read the book after the movie was out .. yet I never saw the movie ...

I only knew about the book because of the movie, it was someone telling me they were going to see the movie, and talking to me about how the story itself is good, when I decided to go and get the books.

I had chance once to see FotR before I was done with the reading, it was someone having a DVD, I didn't though as I wanted to finish the books first, and I still hadn't got any chance to see the movie!

In other words, none of the movies did arrive yet here, and we have absolutely NO theaters, I leave imagination for you []

Khalid

From: Bagshot Row | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lily Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2587
posted      Profile for Lily Baggins   Email Lily Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the book generation. When I was in college, a fellow student told me that he had read the LOTR thirty plus times. I was not familiar with the book then, and I thought that reading any book that much was rather odd. A few years later, I purchased a copy and have been reading it ever since. I even got the red copy of the LOTR, and it's the only book that I consistantly read and reread.
From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ermállion Menanwë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 860
posted      Profile for Ermállion Menanwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ermállion Menanwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I learned most of my Tolkien-lore while the movies were still just a rumours, so I could tell that I'm from Book Generation.
It's true that many new LotR fans (note: LotR, not Tolkien fans!) have come to various boards and forums after the films. Many of them have never even read the books and this is the true bad face of the films. In Croatia, where I live, there are quite some problems with these "new fans", they tend to behave like they read books for 10 times and know all the Tolkien-lore on Earth.
Secondly, there are differences between the books and the films, so these new fans draw facts from the films, not from the books.

From: Floating Cities of Grey Elvenkind, Phäen | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elf Scribe
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3749
posted      Profile for Elf Scribe   Email Elf Scribe   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've only seen a little of the first movie, I guess I'm from the book generation. I also had read The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and part of The Return of the King before I even heard about the movies. Granted, I didn't hear about the movies until my friend asked me if I wanted to go and see it the next day, so I have to admit I was a little slow there...
From: Rivendell | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation, where the real story is! [] []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Tidus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3374
posted      Profile for Tidus   Email Tidus   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation []
From: the ruins of Zanarkand | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Tindómerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3721

posted      Profile for Tindómerel   Author's Homepage   Email Tindómerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
read the Hobbit>saw LOTR movies>read the books
From: a small hole in the ground | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Anariel Aureva
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3741

posted      Profile for Anariel Aureva   Author's Homepage   Email Anariel Aureva   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Movie (sadly because I consider myself more of a purist)>Hobbit>LotR>Sil>UT>HoME
From: Laurëanórë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely of the book generation, predating even the Bakshi cartoon, so my poor head is thankfully not warped by the dreadful Bakshi Sam. I'd read LOTR many many times before I saw any of the movies, Bakshi or Jackson.

Must say, though, that I have enjoyed the Jackson movies for what they are. Maybe that is because I've read the books so many times that my pictures of the characters slip right back to the Miz Lobelia mental picture of them when I start reading.

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Anariel Aureva
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3741

posted      Profile for Anariel Aureva   Author's Homepage   Email Anariel Aureva   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
dreadful Bakshi Sam
You can say that again... [] He reminded me of a hill-billy (sp?? [] )

[ 08-24-2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Anariel ]

From: Laurëanórë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book by far - read the books before I thought there's going to be a movie. Actually first found out of the movie(s) when I came here.
From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3303

posted      Profile for GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   Email GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am most definitely from the book generation. I read the Hobbit for the first time in the mid 60s and the LotR probably around 1970 (I was 12 then).

I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I have read the LotR over the years.

From: Cary NC | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Definitely of the book generation, predating even the Bakshi cartoon, so my poor head is thankfully not warped by the dreadful Bakshi Sam. I'd read LOTR many many times before I saw any of the movies, Bakshi or Jackson.

Must say, though, that I have enjoyed the Jackson movies for what they are. Maybe that is because I've read the books so many times that my pictures of the characters slip right back to the Miz Lobelia mental picture of them when I start reading.

Yes, I read the 5 books before I saw the Bakshi cartoon at a theatre or saw the Rankin Bass Hobbit as well. The images I have in my head are well ingrained, and gladly so in these days of PJ LOTR movie pop culture. To PJ's credit I have to say that Ian Holm played a marvelous Bilbo, and Sean Bean added depth to Boromir without changing his basic book character.

So Miz Lobeila, yopu are in Seattle? I'm in the mountains due east.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help