Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 3)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Roll of Honor Snaga
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2945

posted      Profile for Snaga   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What? They made it into a movie? I must check it out!
Hilarious! Olorin3 , where have you been all my posting life? We could have used you in a post a few weeks ago (definding the changes I think).

Any way, I am a book person. A little older than some of you folks I'm sure, but I never tire of these books. Some times I go a few years before picking them up, but it always fun.

My only problem now - I can't read the books without seeing the movie actors in my mind!!!

From: Mordor - upper east side | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gimilkhad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2746

posted      Profile for Gimilkhad   Author's Homepage   Email Gimilkhad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem Snaga. I can't read the books without seeing things from the movie either! []

I am a book person and I have read all of the books many times. I absolutely love them!

I also like the films, but it would have been nice if PJ could have stuck with the Professor's work a bit more. Oh well, I still have my books!

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reign Holder
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 831
posted      Profile for Reign Holder   Email Reign Holder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*comes back after about a year's worth of an absence*

i am of the book generation and quite proud of it. The reading of these books has been passed down through generations on my mom's side of that family. So about 5 years ago it came my turn to inherit the very much worn out set of the 4 books (LoTR & The Hobbit) and immedately was sucked in. Unfortunately that set of books was so old (i believe they have the original covers too), pages had turned yellow and the covers had been taped back on [] . But i got a new boxed set of the 4 just in time for me to read the RoTK (about a year after i started reading). I began reading LoTR about 6 months before word of the movies began to seep out, and now i have read the books twice and seen both movies 4 or 5 times. []

I personally don't think a bad job was done on the movies at all. I like them, just see the only thing "wrong" was that stuff was left out. But for a movie based on a book(s), not a bad job at all. []

[ 02-13-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Reign Holder ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
*He slowly stands, raises his arms, and begins to spin. A dense orange cloud appears around him. The room flashes and he is gone.*

From: Retention Pond Waft Plaza | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Reign Holder! Welcome back to MT [] []

Where have you been?? []

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gimli son of Glóin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1863

posted      Profile for Gimli son of Glóin   Email Gimli son of Glóin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually from the Bashki generation. [] A friend of mine had it back in 7th or 8th grade for me. We always watched up to the Balrog, because the rest of it was so boring.

I barely even remembered that The Lord of the Rings even existed until almost 10 years later when I saw it at Waldenbooks. I knew how "cool" (at least to an 8th grader) LOTR was, so I thought that the book would rule. I was right.

Only when I picked up the book did I realize that a movie was being done for it. Now I love Fellowship (movie) and TT ( movie also). I have read LOTR 4.3 times, Hobbit twice, and Sil once.

Sorry it's so long. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If life would be fair, then all of us would go to hell. But life is not fair, for we all have the chance to go to heaven through Jesus.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRAM it
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3224

posted      Profile for CRAM it   Email CRAM it   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am also from the Bashki generation. But I have to admit, the animation in "The Hobbit" scared the crap out of me and really turned me off Tolkien when I was younger. I didn't start reading Tolkien's books until I find out that LotR books were going to be made into movies. Now I just can't get enough. What's really weird is that I don't see Ian Holm when I think about Bilbo Baggins, I see that Bashki animated character.
From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bregalad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3234

posted      Profile for Bregalad   Email Bregalad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Movie, but after seeing LotR & TTT I read the books and I like the books much better.
From: South Orange, NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am, thank the good Lord, from the book generation and am very glad that I am. If I had just seen the movies then I would never have read any books to begin with and never have come to Minas Tirith, and what a unfortunate thing that would have been? []

I think that the book generation is better off for more reasons than one. The movie generation sees the story as Peter Jackson made it with some parts chopped out and a few things changed. If they ever read the books then their perceptions of the book and what it is all about will be clouded slightly because of the movie.
They will always see the characters as Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortesen, Elijah Wood, etc, etc and not be able to create their own ideas on what the characters would look like. The same would be for the landscape of Middle Earth (Though I do believe Peter Jackson did a good job on locations).
Unfortunately the book generation will be diminshed as time goes on and soon enough the book generation will be a small minority, the movie generation will be the larger.

This may not be such a bad thing as the movie generation may prove to give us insights into the book and the different issues contained therein.

Again I beleive I have done a Mandin... []

Adanedhel

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am, thank the good Lord, from the book generation and am very glad that I am. If I had just seen the movies then I would never have read any books to begin with and never have come to Minas Tirith, and what a unfortunate thing that would have been

shall i or sharn't I????

The book generation you can normaly tewll my citizen nuber ie any over 100 is movie generation

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The one and only ZENCHEN™
Citzen #88 according to the oldbies
Oh that reminds me Zen, YOU ROCK man! - Whyte Chyld Wyelder
...shooting newbies is like smoking pot, its technically illegal, but everyone does it anyway-OSSY *Drools at Avatar*
And I figure if Zen doesn't know it, it's probably not WORTH knowing... - Cloudstrife
Zillionaire Exchanging Naughty, Intense, Thrilling Hugs
The Most Crazy CitiZEN

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ZENITH! What kind of an uninformed random statement is that!

Ok. Admittedly I only read the Sil after I'd seen FOTR. But I'd read LOTR and the Hobbit several times before!

Honestly. You really shouldn't make such huge generalisations!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ZENITH: Should you or shouldn't you what? And unfortunately for you I had read The Hobbit, The Lord Of The Rings and The Silmarillion all before the movies even came out, even before there was a whisper of their creation......I am so sorry I had to dissapoint you, but I forgive you when you are illiterate and can't really spell or use punctuation properly. []

Maybe not finishing high school was a bad idea?

I'm going to be in for it now, but you really deserved that one ZENITH......

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Adanedhel - why get so wound up by Zenith? You should know by most of his posts that he is only joking!

Also, Zenith is currently at university. He often posts at night and therefore – if his university days were anything like mine – posts when he’s extremely inebriated. []

Personally I don't care what 'generation' people are from. I know many people who have never or will never read the books but love the film and are passionate about the story. Whenever those people come to my house and see my ‘Tolkien Room’ they start to ask me questions about characters, plot, and history. Some I manage to turn to the books and are reading them now or have now read them, but as I said, many don’t have the time or can’t be bothered. I don’t judge them because of it, but then they don’t claim to be fans, they are just interested.

In fact I am often jealous of those people that see the film without having read the books. To be immersed in middle earth for the first time in such a beautiful medium without any preconceptions or without judging the characters or story against your own personal imaginations must be a wonderful experience, and something I will never get the chance of experiencing.

But for exactly the same reasons I feel sorry for those that go on to read the books after seeing the film.

I don’t think people should feel that they are any more of a fan because they read the books before seeing the film, or that they have been studying Tolkien for longer. We are all here because we love the story, themes, and messages contained within Tolkien’s literature. It matters little how, or when, that was brought to us.

~tg

[ 02-15-2003, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers for TG*

Well said, Grandpa! []

As an inbetweener who has only read the books once, I'm beginning to take on a whole new Lord of the Rings story thanks to both book and film. A combination of the two. So instead of two interpretations of what happened in the War of the Ring, I have three.

I am a visual person, so I usually prefer films to books. But as a writer, I can see the absolute brilliance of Tolkien's work.

I didn't enjoy "Fellowship" when I read it, but seeing the film made me understand it and appreciate it more, and I took that into both The Two Towers and The Return of the King when I read them for the first time.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nárindo: Platypus of the Night... Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë
"Platypus - I'm amazed at how your mind works." Snow Wizard
"That's far too smart, Brae. You take that intelligence elsewhere, it doesn't belong in this thread!" Éomer
"Platypus- you were always a monotreme with exquisite tastes!" Thingol

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

quote:
Also, Zenith is currently at university. He often posts at night and therefore – if his university days were anything like mine – posts when he’s extremely inebriated.

IS still hung over last night posting after alot of wine and vodka! #

AD then I would never have read any books to begin with and never have come to Minas Tirith, and what a unfortunate thing that would have been

think i meant to say that it would have been SUCH a shame for you never to join MT!

quote:
ZENITH! What kind of an uninformed random statement is that!

Notice i used the word NORMALY in my statement and if i remember correctly we were at around 1000 citizens when the 1st movie came out!
Of course there are some people who joined later than that who did read the book first!
so don't get your knickers in a twist!

The gentleman you know me too well all those extra curicular activities are taking there toll []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The one and only ZENCHEN™
Citzen #88 according to the oldbies
Oh that reminds me Zen, YOU ROCK man! - Whyte Chyld Wyelder
...shooting newbies is like smoking pot, its technically illegal, but everyone does it anyway-OSSY *Drools at Avatar*
And I figure if Zen doesn't know it, it's probably not WORTH knowing... - Cloudstrife
Zillionaire Exchanging Naughty, Intense, Thrilling Hugs
The Most Crazy CitiZEN

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BalrogsGuardTheSilmarils
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2988
posted      Profile for BalrogsGuardTheSilmarils   Email BalrogsGuardTheSilmarils   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Books......
Although to be honest I have only started reading HoME fairly recently.
The Sil is probably my favourite. I dont pick The Hobbit up that often.
Even with Jacksons variations I still applaud his vision.

Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

The Gentleman: Do you really think I take anything of ZENITH's seriously? [] Who could take ZENITH seriously?
I really need to add more smilies to my posts so people cane tell that I am about as serious as the highlander ZENITH....

I know what he posts like I have been here for a year and half so I have learnt first hand, maybe I should start toting that pistol that ZENITH game me for my birthday last year [] ...

And your at University ZENITH? How interesting, though I don't undersand the stress you would be under, that explains your obvious spelling and grammar mistakes....Maybe they have a drug to fix that problem? Like caffeine! []

Is that better? More smilies so now you know I'm mucking around too!

Adanedhel

Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Books then movies.
From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cimmerian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2817

posted      Profile for Cimmerian   Author's Homepage   Email Cimmerian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The movie. Then the book and it's such a tedious, boring read... and I read a lot of Asimov, Haggard, Michener, Crichton and Howard.

From: Grim Grey Mountains, The Frozen North | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

quote:
the stress you would be under, that explains your obvious spelling and grammar mistakes....Maybe they have a drug to fix that problem? Like caffeine!

Beer is much better ol' chap
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alright ZENITH. Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully. Also you did say first 100 citizens, not 1000. You really should edit that to include yourself! (I think)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2884

posted      Profile for Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   Email Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.....I saw the movie trailers before reading the book, but I read the book before seeing the movie. I'm going with Book Generation.

Just due to the fact I was horrified by the movie the first time I saw it makes me think I'm book generation.

From: NY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beleg Cúthalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3309

posted      Profile for Beleg Cúthalion   Email Beleg Cúthalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation!! But inmensely proud to be a movie lover as well. []
I read the LOTR books before even hearing about a movie. Although I must say I heard about the movie in Feb of 2001...

Anyway, I also read the Sil and UT, before seeing any of the movies.

I must say that I loved FOTR and TTT as they are wonderful movies. But as I was watching TTT I realised that even though it wasn't LOTR anymore, it still was a darn cool movie! []

[ 02-26-2003, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Elf of Ithilien ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end.
-Legolas-

From: Here, There and Everywhere | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anorfildur Isilme
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3324

posted      Profile for Anorfildur Isilme   Email Anorfildur Isilme   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm somewhere between ...
But I'm closer to book generation .
The book is much better than movie -well it's always like that!

From: Sometimes Hell , sometimes Heaven | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 238

posted      Profile for Nenya   Email Nenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am out of the book generation and honestly I have had a lot of trouble to fit in Peter Jackssons pictures into my fantasy... It won't work []
So in my mind the films and the books are differnt stories.Then the movies are really good []
Anyway, I think it is good that there is a film generation too, othervise we Tolkien lovers would be to few... Hurray for the film generation! []

From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Saleci
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3228

posted      Profile for Saleci   Email Saleci   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that i am out of the movie generation though i did know of the existence of the books and had read the hobbit. Watching FotR encouraged me to read the books, and liked them much better then the movie. But looking at the movies as a independent visulization of the story i must say that the movies are stunning.
From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help