Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Manveri
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1806

posted      Profile for Manveri   Author's Homepage   Email Manveri   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read at on January of 2001, but only later on I found out about the movie.
Until now I only read LotR, The hoobit and now I`m reading The adventures of Tom Bombadil.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Yet my heart loves December`s smile /As much as July`s golden beam;/ Then let us sit and watch the while/ The blue ice curdling on the stream"
(Emily Jane Brontë)
~Newt chicks kick ass~

From: Brazil, São Paulo City | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luin Eriol
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1886
posted      Profile for Luin Eriol   Author's Homepage   Email Luin Eriol   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am, luckily I suppose, from both,

When I was 10 I read the War of the Ring in its entirety in a week, and reread it many times over the next few years. I am 16 now. I was a LotR fanatic before they even began to plan the films.

From: Tol Eressea | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Tenth Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2930

posted      Profile for The Tenth Nazgul   Email The Tenth Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmm... Interesting results
-NN10

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nine he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them. Long ago they fell under the dominion of the One, and they became Ringwraiths, shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants. And one innocent bystander bought an exact replica of one of the rings on E-BAY, and he became the Tenth Nazgul. He then took over the Dark Diocese to honor his nine "colleagues."

From: My Beloved Dark Diocese | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dunadan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1617
posted      Profile for Dunadan   Author's Homepage   Email Dunadan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was in 4th grade when I first read LotR... that would have been... 1997? 1998? Whatever, definately book generation. I had read it three times before PJs FotR came out. I think I had the hobbit read to me before I could read...
From: near Bree, recently set off to the East | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny how things happen. When I was in the eighth grade, we read the Hobbit. My teacher, bless em', was a huge fan of the books, HoME and all, and encouraged us to go on and read the Lord of the Rings. I thought the Hobbit was amazing enough and that nothing could top it, but when I sat down and read it that summer I was proven wrong. The rest is history.

It's amazing that if I hadn't taken that class, I wouldn't be here right now...

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesBrennan331
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3033
posted      Profile for JamesBrennan331   Email JamesBrennan331   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the hobbit in 3rd grade. I must say that a lot of the story was forgotten. But I reread it in 4th grade. It got me into playing magic cards (that brings back some memorys). Then the LOTR trilogy also got finished by 6th grade. Then I heard about the movies, reread them all. And I finished the Silmarillion a week before the first movie release. So, I am a book generation. And I am proud of all my friends cause they have read them all to due to my prodding
From: Midland Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation definitely. A student friend said "You must read this" and bought me the books for my birthday. I've read them loads of times since. I adore the BBC radio adaptation, enjoyed the film in a different way, and even feel the old animated version had its good moments! But like with ANY story, I tend to regard the book as definitive, and the film/radio production as another way of enjoying it
From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation.

My grandmother worked at a bookstore, may she rest in peace. At every holiday, birthday, and special event my cousins and I recieved books as presents. We were definantly well-read little kiddies! It started with the Hobbit when I was in the fourth grade followed shortly by the LotR. I actually won a poetry reciting contest in the sixth grade when I recited Gimli's poem of Khazad-dûm! This was waaaaay back in the late 1970's!!

I, myself, bought the Silmarillion, UT and HoMe series... I love them.

What a great grandmother I had, don't you think!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I inhaled. That was the point." -Barack Obama

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1077
posted      Profile for Azaelia of Willowbottom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really somewhere in between the two. I had been seeing our old copies of the books on our shelves for as long as I can remember. I had been meaning to read them for a while, I think, when I tried them at 12 years old in Nov. 2000. I was, at that time, really into action a la Star Wars. I was *Gasp* bored by the beginning so I started skimming, and very quickly got lost. I stuck with it until the end of the Fellowship of the Ring. Then I put them down, too mixed-up to go on. *Ducks* That's not the end, I swear! In Nov. of 2001, I picked them up again, wondering if they might be good for me now that I was a year older. By that time, I, along with everyone else, had seen the trailer for the FOTR movie, which was my "little nudge out of the door", to say it as Gandalf did, into the wide and beautiful world of Middle Earth. I fell in love right from the start, especially with Hobbits.
I got majorly into the book. I was lucky that it was a long weekend, and therefore I could read almost constantly. I cried so many times, all through the books, especially when, in 'The Black Gate Opens' chapter of ROTK, I thought my absoloute favorite character of Pippin had died. I seriously was histerical, and inconsolable. I nearly walked out on the book that night. But it called to me all through the dark as I lay in bed. I was up at 4:30 AM the next morning, reading frantically, hoping I hadn't missed much while sleeping fitfully. I finished the book the next afternoon and was again in tears by the end of ROTK. No book had made me cry before Lord of the Rings. No book has made me cry since. No book has made me leap up and down, dance in joy the way it has.
FOTR drew closer. I found Minas Tirith and immediately joined, thrilled that there was a community of LOTR fans out there. I sniffed around the web, looking for rumors. I was indignant about all the changes form the book, worried that Peter Jackson wouldn't do Tolkien justice. I was especially concerned about the leaving-out of Tom Bombadil, I remember.
I saw FOTR. The differences from the book never bothered me. The movie was te best movie I had ever seen.
Now you decide: Was I from the book generation or the movie generation? I, personally, would like to call myself of the book generation, but is that fair because it was, after all, the FOTR trailer that was my "nudge" to try Tolkien again?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
*Zali: Foolish Hobbit-lass*
"A new day will come!"
~Samwise the Brave

From: Willowbottom :) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alakturien
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3235
posted      Profile for Alakturien   Edit/Delete Post 
BOOKS!!!!! My Dad and sister made me read the hobbit when I was really little, and I read LOTR later on. My sister in effect made me read it, because she kept on talking about stuff LOTR related I didn't know about. So I read the books and recently reread them after seeing TTT. All three in, effectively, about four or five days (1 day or so for FOTR, 2 for ROTK, 2-3 on TTT)
From: Lothlorien(I wish) | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alakturien
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3235
posted      Profile for Alakturien   Edit/Delete Post 
BOOKS!!!!! My Dad and sister made me read the hobbit when I was really little, and I read LOTR later on. My sister in effect made me read it, because she kept on talking about stuff LOTR related I didn't know about. So I read the books and recently reread them after seeing TTT. All three in, effectively, about four or five days (1 day or so for FOTR, 2 for ROTK, 2-3 on TTT)
From: Lothlorien(I wish) | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fëanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1393

posted      Profile for Fëanáro   Email Fëanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation! I first read the Hobbit when I was 5, and then read TLOTR when I was 6 or 7 and have been obsessed ever since. I'd read them both about 8 times as well a the Silm. and LT1 and others before seeing the film(s).

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, you step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.

From: ENGLAND | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Movie generation, and not ashamed of it.
What she said.

Although I began reading LOTR before the first movie was released, I did not read them until I knew about the movies. And admittedly, when I first heard about the movies (back in late 1998, I think), I thought it was a really dumb idea. Not because I thought PJ would ruin it, but because I thought LOTR was dumb ( [] !).

But after seeing the internet teaser and the very first preview (with the Fellowship walking over the hill), I suddenly became very interested, and bought The Hobbit and FOTR, but I didn't read TTT until after; and I have to be honest, I actually haven't read ROTK yet--though I plan to, now that I've seen TTT. Don't ask, I have a very weird logic for this...

It's because of the movies that I became a fan. So yes, I'd have to say I'm part of the movie generation. []

[ 02-03-2003, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Éomer Éadig ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynnia
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2637
posted      Profile for Lynnia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could say I was from the book generation, but I saw the movie first. I saw the movie in January and didn't want to wait to see the other two movies to find out what happened, so I read the book. Since the movie has came out I've read The Silmarillion and am trying to read Unfinished Tales when I can find the time.
From: Middle of nowhere CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lúthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2934

posted      Profile for Lúthien   Author's Homepage   Email Lúthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely book generation. I don't even remember for sure when I first read the Hobbit ... It may have been my dad reading it to me ... or perhaps one of my earlier reading endeavours ...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Even a thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

From: Raleigh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalluin Peredhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2168

posted      Profile for Kalluin Peredhel   Email Kalluin Peredhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My parents read to all five of their children (some from before they were even born!) and most of my family are avid readers. Like Singollo, we always used to get books as presents on every special occasion. The Hobbit came out when I was still in school, and I read it over and over and over. Needless to say, I fully immersed myself in The Lord of the Rings; then, The Silmarillion; then ... etc., etc., etc., including biographies of Tolkien, literary criticism, and anything else that interested me.

I saw all the animated versions ... trembled in fear that the Beatles might actually succeed in buying the rights ... despaired that no one seemed capable of bringing it to the screen (I'd thought George Lucas and Steven Spielberg might have taken a crack at it!) ... and feel absolutely indebted to Peter Jackson for finally having done so! PJ, hennaid evyr!

From: The Last Homely House | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erufailë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2038
posted      Profile for Erufailë   Email Erufailë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation.

I read Lord of the Rings in my teens, but was very aware of its existence a long time before that. Actually my attitude to the book was somewhat strange at first, because I knew this was supposed to be THE BOOK and everybody was supposed to LIKE it or at least have an OPINION about it, if you know what I mean. Heh, that definitely sounds like a rebellious teenager, doesn't it. :-) Anyway, as suspicious as I may have been when opening the book, by the time I finished it I had to admit the tale was absolutely fascinating.

Later on I read also the Hobbit and the Silmarillion which is probably one of the most beautiful compilation of stories ever written. And now I have proceeded to the other books published by Christopher Tolkien. And the movies then... yes, I would say that they have only increased my interest in Tolkien's world.

From: Formenórë | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kaladir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2695

posted      Profile for Kaladir   Email Kaladir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation...but have to say it was the Radio 4 production which really fired my imagination with the LOTR....it is awesome, I still love listening to it.
From: Glasgow | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
BOOKGEN here, i read the Hobbit, LOTR before the films began, but the Silmarillion after.
the films are great as it shows how people think of the characters, i mean did any of us see frodo as Elijah when they first read the book?

oh and Alakturien you doubleposted.

[ 02-11-2003, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Vartalion of the Vanyar ]

From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merry Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1750

posted      Profile for Merry Brandybuck   Email Merry Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Technically book generation but the movie forced me to on here. Say, Eruatur, Im from Ri too! Ak! do you know of the other people on MT from RI, ZoSo mayhap? or did you just stumble upon this too?
From: boonieland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They made it into a movie? What were they thinking? Could they really do the books justice?

I've read the books more times then I kept track of. I have at least two copies of all of them (except HoME). One set by computer for the trivia boards here at MT and one in the bedroom. There are some spare copies in my kids' rooms and in the basement. There must be at least six copies of The Hobbit in the house.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The smiley says it all!!!! []

Definitely the book generation...

I read the Hobbit when I was a child (around 9), then read LoTR when in high school... Became addicted...

I had read (almost) everything when the movie went on screen...

The only thing that annoys me with the movie is that some people think they know everything about Middle-Earth after only seeing the movie... [] And tend to say 'Of course there were Elves at Elm's Deep, watch the movie, you dumb!'

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lembas Baker, Inc
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2949
posted      Profile for Lembas Baker, Inc   Edit/Delete Post 
They come in books?
Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olorin3
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3135
posted      Profile for Olorin3   Email Olorin3   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What? They made it into a movie? I must check it out!

On second thought, maybe I won't go see it. Whoever directed it probably butchered it. You know, changed things all around because he thought he could rewrite the story better in a matter of months than Tolkien could do over the course of many years. I mean, here we are, finally in the age where technology can create Middle-Earth on the screen and the director probably did something stupid like having Frodo show the ring to a Nazgul when he's in Osgiliath. Oh, wait a minute. Frodo was never in Osgiliath, was he. How silly of me. And if he showed the ring to the enemy, that would screw up the whole story. Guess I should leave the directing to the "pros." Obviously, the guy directing the movie isn't exactly some B-movie blood-and-guts horror film guy now is he? Sure glad I don't have to worry about my favorite books being mutilated because some director wants to get gratuitous action scenes worked in while neglecting the story.

Here's to you Mr. Jackson. You squandered a wonderful opportunity to create a magnificent piece of work. [] []

From: Ithilien | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Last of the Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2909
posted      Profile for The Last of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The book generation although I am only 18. I have only read the Hobbit once. I should probally re-read it since i was in the 7th or 8th grade then. I am read the LoTR trilogy 6 time continous and my favorite parts times uncountable. I have read the Sim 4 time and am currently at book 6 of the HoMe series. While the movies were great the books are so much better. They never dull and are always entertaining.
Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help