Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Are you from the movie or book generation?
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing that a LOT of our members here that have been signing up as of late have only read LotR after seeing the movie(s).
So I'm wondering what 'generation' everyone is from. Did you read the books first and THEN find out that PJ was going to ruin it in movie form? Or did you see the movie and decide that the books might be good?

I grew up on the book. I read it long before I knew the movie was coming out.

[ 01-21-2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Peregrin Took ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Support cows named Bob, if you don't who will?
Save a Cow, eat a Chicken!

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imby
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2990

posted      Profile for Imby   Email Imby   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When my husband (who had already read the books) found out there was going to be a movie, he informed me that we had to go and that I had to read the book first. []

I waded through Fellowship, saw the movie, and didn't give it another thought till TT was about to come out. Of course, we had to see that, too. So I picked up TT and read it during all of my newborn's nighttime feeding sessions, and totally got into it! I finished TT and ROTK before I saw the movie.

To sum up, I read all of the books first, but only because of the movie. []

Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read LOTR about 5 times, the sil twice and the hobbit twice before i saw the film
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I read LotR something like 3 times, and the Hobbit far too many times to count before I heard of the movie. But I didn't even attempt the Sil until the summer. But I've now read it 2 times, and UT, and I'm working my way through HoME slowly but surely.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the Book Generation! And proud of it!
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baranduin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2673
posted      Profile for Baranduin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation here. I read it first 32 years ago, when I was eleven. I had probably read LOTR 35 times before seeing the movie (and about six times since FOTR came out). Plus the Hobbit, the Sil (not as many times), Tree and Leaf, etc.

Baranduin

Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Movie generation, and not ashamed of it.

Peter Jackson's movies are a work of art in their own respect, completely independent of the novels.

My love for the films stems from the fact that they introduced me to the novels. I was not a fan of fantasy until my brother dragged me kicking and screaming to see FotR on Christmas Eve, 2001. It's a tradition in my family that my brother and I always go to a movie on Christmas Eve, while my parents are wrapping gifts, and it was his turn to choose.

I thought I was going to hate it. A month later, I'd read the trilogy and the Sil, and was hunting up the HoME.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book generation. Read it, ehrrm, I think three or four times, and the Silm twice, before the movie came.
I remember about three years ago when my friends and I first heard of the movie. We were all like, "wow, there's gonna be a movie?" Then I forgott all about it untill it came.

[ 01-21-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Fabian ]

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What movie?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falco Chubb Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2683

posted      Profile for Falco Chubb Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most definately the book. My first encounter with Tolkien was via my headmaster who read the Hobbit to me aged 8 (1981)with a fantastic smeagol voice, and since then Ive loved it. I must say that I enjoyed the animated Film version enourmously, and the latest films too, but there's something very personal about my version of middle earth which makes it unique and forever my own.
From: Suffolk, England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books about 3 years ago for the first time. Before PJ "ruined" the story.

And I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to divide fans by the movie is something different. I know lots of folks who read the books after seeing the movie, and liked the books better. I'm sorry if I sound cynical or like a jackass, but I don't think that the movies deserve bashing of any type. Well, at least not in the respect that people think the story was COMPLETELY destroyed. It wasn't. Just listen to Sam at the end of TTT. That diatrap he goes on about how we remember the important things. That's what PJ did. He kept the important things. So what if everything didn't happen exactly like the book. No movie, EVER is like that when based off of a book. In the Silmarillion, what is discussed about Frodo and the Ring? That he went through many toils and troubles but finally, rid ME of the evil. That's what's important. I can't wait to see RoTK, because I know that PJ's not gonna fumble the ball now. If he didn't do it in TTT, then he's not gonna in RoTK. I've said my piece, sorry about sounding mean, it's not directed at anyone in particular. I'm just in a not too good mood about people bashing the movies. Thanks for reading.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Play 'Wheels On The Bus' and get the hell out of my sight."

On a bumper sticker "Jesus Saves...the rest of you take full damage."

From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simbelmyne
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2530
posted      Profile for simbelmyne   Email simbelmyne   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Book.

The story of my intro to Tolkien can be found in the How and Why thread in LotR forum.

edit: Just for the record I also adore the films. I think the Two Towers is extraordinary. I can live with the changes.

[ 01-21-2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: simbelmyne ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Take risks

From: manchester | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Swift Asfaloth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1435

posted      Profile for Swift Asfaloth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
GimBill : I don't think anyone in this thread has bashed the film. Pip has asked a reasonable question in just about as non-confrontational and innocuous a manner as Hobbit-ly possible, and she is to be commended for that. She's merely asking whether people read the books first (in which case a few might feel that PJ ruined the books, but obviously Pip herself doesn't feel that way) or whether they saw the movies first. Simple. No need for anger, diffuse or directed.

Oh, and to answer Pip's question, I read the books first, many many moons ago, and loved them all on first sight. I re-read the LotR just about every year, and since joining MT, I've re-read The Silmarillion twice (I read it when it was first published, so I'm dating myself), and dived into the HoME series as well. I enjoyed PJ's films too, but I wouldn't say that I'm a devoted fan.

From: Calenardhon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I was just having some stressful conversations while I was writing that and I just channeled it. Sorry to everyone who read that, and especially sorry to Pip. I was a mean, insensitive jerk. [] Sorry to ruin your thread. I hope that you don't think too ill of me.
From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

No offence taken my dear GimBill. I understand completely how you feel. And I'm sorry if you took offence to the ruining the book comment. I love the movies to pieces, and would never bash them. (as a movie, at any rate)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am from the book generation, and though I would never look down upon those who are from the movie generation, I am very happy that I read the book before seeing the movie. It has always been important to me to form my own ideas and pictures for a book, and I'm very glad I had the chance to do that for LotR!
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Hobbit, FotR, and TTT and was reading RotK when I found out there was going to be a movie made. So, I guess you can say I'm from the book generation!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Proud Member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dunadan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3109

posted      Profile for The Dunadan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Anoren. I started reading LOTR before I heard about the movie, but heard about it before I was through reading. So I would say that I'm from the book generation.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

From: The middle of nowhere (well, Eastern Kansas is pretty close) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Tenth Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2930

posted      Profile for The Tenth Nazgul   Email The Tenth Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I'm kind of in between. I heard about it through the movie, and read The Hobbit and FotR before I saw the movie. Since, I've read the rest of LotR, the Sil., UT, and I'm currently on Lost Tales #1
-Occty
PS_ Nice Forum

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nine he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them. Long ago they fell under the dominion of the One, and they became Ringwraiths, shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants. And one innocent bystander bought an exact replica of one of the rings on E-BAY, and he became the Tenth Nazgul. He then took over the Dark Diocese to honor his nine "colleagues."

From: My Beloved Dark Diocese | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm an inbetweener too.

No one around me had any of the books, so I'll have to credit a Sydney newspaper with motivating me to read them.

I heard that a film was being made, and decided that I should read the books before seeing the film. I bought The Hobbit first (in early 2000), knowing that it came before The Lord of the Rings, and also because it was shorter. I didn't enjoy The Hobbit so much, and dearly hoped the next book would be better.

I read "Fellowship" about 18 months before I saw the first film. I had gone onto "Two Towers" after "Fellowship", but I didn't get past the 3rd chapter. A week or so before FotR came out, I started reading The Two Towers again, breezed through it, went onto "Return of the King", loved it, and wanted to read something else quick!

I fell in love with Middle-earth due to FotR (film), and it made me very eager to learn more. I went onto Unfinished Tales, and then The Silmarillion. I have yet to get into the HoMe series.

[ 01-21-2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read LotR about 5 or 6 times before the movie came out, and the Silm and TH a couple times each too.
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2693

posted      Profile for Haleth   Author's Homepage   Email Haleth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books before I heard about the movies. But after the movies came out a lot of my friends started reading the books, and they kept asking me all these questions, assuming I would know because I had read them before.
That inspired me to read the Sil (twice) and UT (which I am for the first time reading right now) so I could be a real "fountain of knowledge" for my pesky curious buddies.

I guess I am a member of the book generatin who owes her renewed interest in Tolkien to the movie generation.

From: Brethil (Seattle for those in the real world) | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lúthien Tinúvial
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3165

posted      Profile for Lúthien Tinúvial   Email Lúthien Tinúvial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books for the first time before the movie came out. I was abouthalf way threw the Return of The King when I found out that they where making a movie of The Lord of The Rings.I started with the Hobbit read it in a less than a week than I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time than I got the Silmarillion on tape and listened to that> I love it I sence the movie has come out I have read The Lord of The Rings twice, The Silmarillion on tape twice, started Unfinished Tales, any way I think i can say I read the books before the movie came out but I was just on the edge, I finished LOTR before I saw the movie

[ 01-21-2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Lúthien Tinúvial ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Eärendil was a mariner that tarried in Arvernien;
he built a boat of timber felled in Nimberethil to journey in;
her sails he wove of silver fair, of silver were her lantrens made,
her prow was fashioned like a swan, and light upon her banners laid.....

From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I started reading the books along time ago. My mom has been a fan for over 25 years and when I was little she wanted me to get into it too. I tried reading the books and I got pretty far I must say but since I was really young it was hard and I gave up. I saw the first movie and decided to get back into it. I would like to consider myself part of the book generation , but I know the movies influenced me to get into the books....so..... []
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruatur
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3144

posted      Profile for Eruatur   Email Eruatur   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Been studyin' Tolkien for ten or eleven years now.... Hmm... MUst get back to books...

BOOK GENERATION RULES~!

But so do the movies ;-)

From: RI, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Are you from the movie or book generation? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help