Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » What do you rate LotR? (Page 2)
Author Topic: What do you rate LotR?
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is the second best book( or series of books) ever written
Behind the bible of course (cause im a catholic)

From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well i am amazed, i thought i was the only person on MT who has read the Ender series, but Curufin also has!
i must tell all of you, it is one of the greates series you will ever read, so please do.

Tolkien is my favourite author of all time, simply because his world is aeons ahead of other authors, and after you read his books you feel as if you have just had a vision, they also contain all the right ingredients for a huge epic.

[ 11-01-2005, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Vartalion ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Fool, prate not to me about covenants.
There can be no covenants between men and lions,
wolves and lambs can never be of one mind, but
hate each other out and out and through.

From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien's created world is undoubtedly without parallel - nothing else even comes close. But as a book, LOTR is pretty far down a very long list. Separating the action of the story and keeping two threads going at once (Sam+Frodo, Aragorn+Gimli+Legolas) was a fantastic idea, and heightens the tension tremendously. The depth of the story is amazing, the maps fantastic, and the language is truly beautiful.

Nevertheless, careful inspection reveals that the tale was cut and pasted together. Detail disappears as the action is ratcheted up - as Tolkien began to realize where he was going with the story (after the council of Elrond) his exposition is shortened.

When he finished, all that unwritten exposition had to be attached - as appendices. Of course, the appendices ended up giving a more realistic feel to the whole thing...

Generally, a villain who never makes an appearance is a no-no, and can be confusing to many who don't have the background information required to understand how that might be.

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien's world is actually derived from (mainly) Norse myths and legends. There is very little original about it at all, possibly the Hobbits - but I am sure there are similar creatures in some mythology that I have not yet come across.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[T]he tale was cut and pasted together.
What do you mean by that, Belthronding?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Suicide Is Painless

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see

That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna to lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say

Suicide is painless

The sword of time will peirce our skin
It doesnt hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger watch it grin

Suicide is painless

A brave man once requested me
To answere questions that are key
Is it to be or not to be
And i replied oh why ask me

That suicide is painless

And you can do the same thing if you please...

(I've been dying to post this in the Listen thread.)

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tar-Aldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5396
posted      Profile for Tar-Aldarion   Author's Homepage   Email Tar-Aldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
120 OUT OF 10

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest.

— Fëanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

From: Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5094
posted      Profile for Morgil   Email Morgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are better books... However I am currently on my third copy of LOTR having read the previous two to destruction over the last thirty-five plus years. Even now I can pick up and enjoy the book as much as I did the first time (but without the suspense) 20 out of ten but Silm/UT/Lays are my favourites.
From: The Grey Havens / Wessex | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR is one of my top five favorite books. However, I wouldn't say it was one of the top five best books ever written. I wouldn't even give that credit to Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, and that is my most favorite book of all.

The truth is, there are far more skilfully written books out there. (And, no, the Bible doesn't count, even if it is fiction. [] )

Those books that touch us the most emotionally aren't necessarily the best written, strange as that may sound. I'm not discounting the importance of emotion as a story-writing goal -- I personally think it is an important goal -- but emotions can blind one to very real writing flaws. And it is not often the case that people seek out very well-written stories to read, so comparisons may be lacking.

I know I sound a little harsh, but don't mistake my meaning. Tolkien was no Shakespeare or Victor Hugo, but he was at least a very fine author, well worth reading. As I said, LOTR is one of my top five favorite books.

I'll give LOTR maybe an 8 out of 10, but 10 is a very high literary standard, not one's "emotional bullseye" (which would earn LOTR a 10 from me).

[ 05-17-2006, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Alatar the East-helper ]

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is certainly my favorite book, and I would be surprised if anyone here thought it was just another good story book to them.
Some criteria that might reasonably be placed on this could be two-fold:
1) how many times have you read it?
About 30. I've never read any other book more than twice.

2) how much do you get out of it or how much does it mean to you?
No other book has meant so much or given me as much enjoyment, so I'd have to say unequivocably it is a 10 out of 10, if it is numbers you are looking for.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
After eight reads, I still find it as awesome as the last time.

I give it a fat, whoping 10!

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, Silmarillion have to get 10/10... So then I rate LotR 9/10 []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What other novel compares to LotR? It's a tale where the good guys are morally and ethically superior (even to the end when Aragorn gives up his life), the bad guys are evil incarnate, and the good guys ultimately win after struggling for several ages. The Silmarillion and Hobbit provide the lengendarium and prequel, respectively. The appendices provide a wealth of detail on the races, the languages, the alphabets, etc. What other work of fiction has such a tremendous amount of such information supporting it and has spawned as many critical works of study about it? What other author has such a following? What other written work has such wonderful imagery? It's only a single page, but can you not see Theoden spurring the Riders of the Riddermark onto the Pelennor fields with a note so loud it bursts his horn? Can you not hear the horns of the Rohan? How much better would a work have to be to be a 10?
From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Okay. I rate LotR 10/10, but Silmarillion gets 11/10 then (or 10+). Even though LotR is a magnificent book i enjoy reading Silmarillion a bit more []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord of the White City
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5543
posted      Profile for Lord of the White City   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the White City   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR and HP are my two favorite book series! []
From: Minas Tirith, Middle Earth | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » What do you rate LotR? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help