Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » What do you rate LotR? (Page 1)
Author Topic: What do you rate LotR?
Black Arrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1871

posted      Profile for Black Arrow   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personnaly, I rate LotR as a 11 out of 10 star book. Although it is slow in some parts, I find I can't put it down! Man, it would take a lot of imagination in order to write a book like this! Tell me if you feel the same way about this book. If you ask me, it's more than a book!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"The Nine, the Seven, and the Three" he said "had each a proper gem. Not so the One. It was round and unadorned, as it were one of the lesser rings; but its maker set marks upon it that the skilled, maybe could read."
http://www.geocities.com/lordhobsil

From: Grey Havens | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's the book of the century. Not only LOTR, but LOTR in connection with all the other books: SILM, Unfinished Tales, etc. []
From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merewyn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2052
posted      Profile for Merewyn   Email Merewyn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never really liked fantasy, and when we were read The Hobbit as a class when we were about 8, no-one was really that interested. But when I heard LOTR was going to be a film, I thought I'd read the books before seeing the film, so I did- and they were so much better than I'd thought! Now I would certainly say that they are the best books I've ever read, and I'm about a quarter of the way through the Silmarillion at the moment!
Calmatariel

From: Gondor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elsilme
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1925

posted      Profile for Elsilme   Email Elsilme   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
it is AMAZING. there are only about three books (if that) i can think of with such power and pathos. no story has ever gripped me as it has. ever.
From: Ossiriand | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
10 out of 10. It is indeed a spectacular book. Other awesome ones: Count of Monte Cristo. Tale of Two Cities. Till We Have Faces. The Bible

[ 04-11-2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nuinamarthion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1945

posted      Profile for Nuinamarthion   Author's Homepage   Email Nuinamarthion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
PG-13 []
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Imrahil of Dol Amroth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2866

posted      Profile for Imrahil of Dol Amroth   Author's Homepage   Email Imrahil of Dol Amroth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"The Lord of the Rings" is a fantastic book, but I don't think that it is the book of the century. I can't say if it is the "best" book I have ever read, because "best" can have many meanings. It certainly isn't the most enjoyable book I have ever read, it is the best fantasy novel I have ever read, but then again I haven't read that much fantasy. Certainly the most creative and widely ranged, so I guess it is one of the "best" books I have ever read, but I can't say that it is THE "best".
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesBrennan331
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3033
posted      Profile for JamesBrennan331   Email JamesBrennan331   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lotr is definetly a 10 out of 10. It takes the cake as far as I am concerned. I liked Issac Asimov's Foundation book almost as much and stephen king (in my opinion) can also write great. But Tolkien will always be my favorite because he can actually make me laugh out loud, and cry (when thorin died). So thats my two cents. Good thread by the way.
From: Midland Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
While Lord of the Rings is a great book, I don't know exactly how I would rate it.

There are so many wonderful books that I hate doing book ratings, because I usually leave something out. It's definately in my upper level of books, though, along with (in no particular order) Les Misérables, Catch-22, The Jungle, Pride and Prejudice, Slaughterhouse Five, A Farewell to Arms, The Mists of Avalon, On The Beach, The Postman, The Ender's Game series and The Táin.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel Elessar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2989
posted      Profile for Estel Elessar   Email Estel Elessar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ten out of ten!

The perfect fantasy book!

[ 02-19-2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Estel Elessar ]

From: Italy | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No other book that I have read has as much fictional history as LOTR. It is THE best fictional book written. The Bible is in different class, being that it is NOT fiction.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Pour me somthing tall and strong, make it a hurricane before I go insane. It's only half past twelve, but I don't care, it's five-o-clock somewhere.

From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithy gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2708

posted      Profile for faithy gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email faithy gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
18 out of 6

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"your sig is too long"- wgw
"huh?"-faith mauk
this one time, i thought i saw a u.f.o., but it was just a plane, so i waved at it.

From: under a pointy hat. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mandin, I would consider the Bible 62 books.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gimli son of Glóin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1863

posted      Profile for Gimli son of Glóin   Email Gimli son of Glóin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anduril, I do see your point, but I consider it one book.

Incidentally, Lord of the Rings is a perfect 10. I never skip any parts, and am not bored by ANY part of the story. I find that, with every new reading, I enjoy the parts that are slow more and more. I love it, and haven't put it down for over a year, while reading it my 4th time now.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If life would be fair, then all of us would go to hell. But life is not fair, for we all have the chance to go to heaven through Jesus.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaron of the Wild
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3133
posted      Profile for Elaron of the Wild   Email Elaron of the Wild   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Definetely a ten, there are few books that i have read that are so indepth that every time you read it you discover at least one new thing.
Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaldohilion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3076
posted      Profile for Astaldohilion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I really love lotr too, not the best book, but certainly one of the best. I didn't consider it the best simply because of the one part that made me put the book down for like two months. The destruction of the Ring. Tolkein could spend 5 pages describing a tree and it's origins, but less than a page for the actual moment of destruction of his titlehead. Everything else was great though.
From: Mirkwood | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
posted      Profile for Incanus   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would give it an 11 out of 10. My brother doesn't like how Tolkien writes, and I have to admit his style isn't the best, but the story itself is a legend.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's good - but there are many better books.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It has a nice beat and you can dance to it -- I give it a 90.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's real good, but not perfect nor the best. And if you think what SSA or I have said is contraversial, just check out what Michael Moorcock says of Tolkien et al in "Wizardry & Wild Romance: A study of epic fantasy". []

If you're interested in the genre of fantasy, in its modern or classical Romantic form, then Michael's study is a very interesting and thought provoking one. Or maybe, just a provocative one... []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great read, and definitely one of my favourite books. But, I don't think either that it's the best book ever written, there are many other books that are quite as good or even better.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Being that the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were the first multi-book series I ever read, and would remain so until I read the Black Company series, I'd give it a 9 out of 10.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings ranks among my top-ten faves for fiction, but there are others that I personally value more. I love LOTR and I try (seldom successfully [] ) to read it every winter. Where Tolkien's prose and 'overt Hobbitness' tend to distract me at best, annoy me at worst, overall the sheer scope of his imaginary world with RL applications (good/evil, friendship, love, power, hope, etc.) makes it one helluva story. I do prefer The Silmarillion if nothing for the fact that I relish his concepts of the Elves, and am not too terribly interested in Hobbits...
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ancalagon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5093
posted      Profile for Ancalagon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
great book, but I still prefer The Silmarillion which is my favorite book of ALL time.
Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn19
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5124
posted      Profile for Eowyn19   Email Eowyn19   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I adore LOTR.
My father gave me the book whan I was 14, and since then I read it every year, at least once.
It is so special to me, that I can't fully express my feelings with words.
I simply love its magic.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I am no man!"

Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » What do you rate LotR? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help