Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Where would you live in Middle Earth? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Where would you live in Middle Earth?
Roll of Honor Eoin MacDomhnaill
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 863
posted      Profile for Eoin MacDomhnaill   Author's Homepage   Email Eoin MacDomhnaill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mithrandir's question about our first reading of LOTR inspires this question: Given a chance of settling down somewhere in Middle Earth, where would you choose to live and why? (Assuming that it was following the fall of Sauron and during the reign of King Elessar). Since my first reading of LOTR 24 years ago, my love for the book has never changed, but what I have found most enchanting through each successive reading has changed.
Being the instigator of this topic, I will cheat and choose two places. I choose to live in either the woods of N. Ithilien near Henneth Annun or in the The Shire, in the woods of the Greenhill Country, near the place at which Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin first met the Elves. The reason for either choice is simple - both would offer beauty and peace.

From: The Berkshires, Massachusetts, U.S. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in the pacific northwest, among thick green hills, mighty forests, rough waters, resinous woods, and deep fogs.
I commune with Ithilien.

Now I live in somewhat drier hills, woodlands of oaks and pine, places somewhat like the Ettenmoors.

Whenever I encounter a new geography or terrain, I liken it to a place in the Middle Earth. It is a helpful recall feature.

------------------
Imbëar Nolwëhín
Down, down, to Goblin town!

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
posted      Profile for Virgil   Email Virgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rivendell

------------------
I will take the ring, though I do not know the way.

From: Carlisle, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who wouldn't want to live in Bag End? Or Lorien? Or maybe even Moria during it's prime? Or Minas Tirith (Anor) when it was at peace? Egad! So many places!
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Grey Havens

------------------

25 Hobbits

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A hobbithole in the Shire.

------------------
"Life is life and that's what it is"
~Arra

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would live in North Ithilien or Imladris, mabe even Rohan.
From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eoin MacDomhnaill
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 863
posted      Profile for Eoin MacDomhnaill   Author's Homepage   Email Eoin MacDomhnaill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting answers, so far. And each place named brings to mind different regions of our world as it exists today: Ithilien - the Pacific Northwest of the US, the Grey Havens - Norway's or New Zealand's fjiords, the Shire - many places in the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. I think only Virgil has hit on someplace unique to Middle Earth. I can't think of anyplace equivalent to Rivendell. Perhaps a romantized Kathmandu could resemble Rivendell.

This message has been edited by Eoin MacDomhnaill on 09-14-2001 at

From: The Berkshires, Massachusetts, U.S. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jóhnny, the Jester
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 579

posted      Profile for Jóhnny, the Jester   Email Jóhnny, the Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i would live in a mt. doom, dont ask why i just like the name.
From: Q-Tip | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eowyn of Edoras
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 714

posted      Profile for Eowyn of Edoras   Author's Homepage   Email Eowyn of Edoras   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lorien
From: Pa, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ereinion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 757
posted      Profile for Ereinion   Email Ereinion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would live in woods of Ithilien or any place in Shire.

But Thorin is right, there are so many places and each of them has it's own beauty.

From: Slovenia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gothmog35
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 902
posted      Profile for Gothmog35   Email Gothmog35   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would live near or in Dunharrow. It is close to mountains, woods, open fields and not too far from the sea. Also it is fairly central to most of the major realms of ME.
Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sirius
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 910
posted      Profile for Sirius   Email Sirius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Shire before Bilbo's journey. Or Rohan.
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rivendell
From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 576

posted      Profile for Gil-galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! so many places! I shall choose Belfalast because I love the sea, even though I live 400 miles from one!

This message has been edited by Gilgalad on 09-25-2001 at

From: TX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 876

posted      Profile for Willow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rohan.
From: USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thrain
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 878
posted      Profile for Thrain   Email Thrain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i would live in Moria and be king of Moria. i just love dwarves and MOria sounds like a very awesome place to live.Æ

------------------

From: Carrollton,kentucky,USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystical
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 920
posted      Profile for Mystical   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
1. Rivendell
2. The lands of Rohan
3. Possibly Fangorn or Mirkwood or Lorien

This message has been edited by Mystical on 10-06-2001 at

Isengrim The Ninth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 800
posted      Profile for Isengrim The Ninth   Email Isengrim The Ninth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would live in Isengard, and work with the Ents to make it a wonderful garden! And I would search for the Entwives, and let all the Free People come and enjoy the garden of Isengard for as long as it flowered! Come one come all! And bring beer!

------------------

From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anárion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 954
posted      Profile for Anárion   Author's Homepage   Email Anárion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lothlorién of course

------------------

'You cannot pass!' he said. With a bound the Balrog leaped full upon the bridge. Its whip whirled and hissed.
'He cannot stand alone!' cried Aragorn suddenly and ran back along the bridge.
'Elendil!' he shouted. 'I am with you Gandalf!'
'Gondor!' cried Boromir and leaped after him.

- JRR Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings, Book II: Chapter V)

From: Mirkwood | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyann
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 285
posted      Profile for Tyann   Author's Homepage   Email Tyann   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Shire. (Where else?) Mabye around Stock.

------------------
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

From: Grass Valley, OR USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ermállion Menanwë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 860
posted      Profile for Ermállion Menanwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ermállion Menanwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, at the Elvenking in Mirkwood.

Legolas

From: Floating Cities of Grey Elvenkind, Phäen | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The sea would so easily be the best place to live though!
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midus unknown
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 358
posted      Profile for Midus unknown   Email Midus unknown   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
greenwood (when it was called greenwood) or lorien

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am Midus Dark Unknown Leader of the northern forces, bearer of the sword kentoshi, son of golaras, warrior in the war of the ring, and king of lorien.

From: once i lived in the land of mirkwood but now i travel the world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Berguiss
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 971
posted      Profile for Berguiss   Email Berguiss   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Moria, Moria and Moria again. How many rooms, noises, traps, enemies, treasures, darkness, ect...ect....
Can someone give me a better place where have a good time ??? Of course not.

All the remaining of Middle earth is boring. What would be LOTR without Moria ?? Nothing !!

From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Where would you live in Middle Earth? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help