Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 4)
Author Topic: Tunes to Tolkien By
Marhwini
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11433
posted      Profile for Marhwini   Email Marhwini   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is an Album by an experimental musician from the 1950s by the name of Harry Partch, who had an album called "Bewitched" that I would listen to when reading Tolkien.

And Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygen or Equinox, both of which had a section that was sort of Medieval feeling. Jarre's work was early Electronic Music (in the days when you programmed each wave-form on a synthesizer with patch-cords between wave-guides).

The one track in particular, whose name I cannot track down, begins with a raid-storm, and a muted Accordion and Lute/Ukulele playing (in what sounds like the inside of a building). The sounds made me thing of the Third Age men of Beorn living on the edge of Mirkwood, inside after a hard day's work, with the cold rain falling outside, and then surrounding a roaring fire, playing music and singing.

MB

From: San Francisco, CA and Houston, TX | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Faun's Renaissance album is quite a nice record to read Tolkien to.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help