Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 3)
Author Topic: Tunes to Tolkien By
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, I listened to the required Zepp and Rush, as well as Genesis (before that ponce Collins ruined 'em). And a good amount of Traffic.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep Minas Tirith Clean

"My dignity...she is gone..."

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
posted      Profile for Happy Hobbit   Email Happy Hobbit   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Vertical Horizon reminds me of the Hobbit cuz it was playing while I read it the 1st time...
From: NJ | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summoner
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1382
posted      Profile for Summoner   Email Summoner   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I usually listen to atmospheric music, such as THE greatest Tolkien-inspired band of the world, Summoning. Especially the albums "Minas Morgul" and "Dol Guldur".
"The Ancient Glory" by Rivendell is quite popular too, as are Dargaard, Hagalaz' Runedance, Suidakra, Empyrium, Elvenking, Blind Guardian (esp. the Nightfall in Middle Earth album)and Heresiarh.

Not too loud or fast music, just slow and atmospheric.

I do make it my business to know and collect Tolkien inspired music.

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well,,, recently ive been rather fond of the soundtrack to the movie, fits for me, and i can skip it around to suit the chapters, kinda fun
From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 438
posted      Profile for Thorondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is a trio called "Lothlorian" that is very popular over at MP3.com. They're New Zealanders and play celtic style tunes, which are really not Tolkien related, but some of them are in the right spirit. Worth checking out since you can listen for free over at mp3.com.
From: The Vale of Silicon | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I read Tolkien I always listen to Patrice Deceuninck's LOTR music, Johan de Meij's LOTR symphony, the soundtrack and some other similar stuff (I call it "fantasy music"). I don't think that rock or country is appropriate, I was a bit surprised when I was reading this thread. I think the music has to sound like actually being played in Tolkien's world (like medieval music), or ancient somehow, it's difficult to describe. There is some medieval music I don't think is appropriate. Also, singing is something I rarely find appropriate, I don't know why. If you want to try out something more just ask, a lot is available on the net.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Isildur of the Númenóreans ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded a great musical (meaning no lyrics or singing) song called "The Grey Havens" last night. It is made to sound like an ocean going back and forth...tide coming in and out....Quite beautiful.....I dont remember who it's by, but next time I burn a mixed track cd, it's goin on it so I can read while listening to it
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evenspire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 689
posted      Profile for Evenspire   Email Evenspire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a song for Elrond. Sung by Bobby Darin called "Beyond the Sea" (George Benson may have sung this too..)

Somewhere beyond the sea
somewhere waiting for me
my lover stands on golden sands
and watches the ships that go sailin

Somewhere beyond the sea
she's there watching for me
If I could fly like birds on hight
then straight to her arms I'd go sailin

It's far beyond the stars
it's near beyond the moon
I know beyond a doubt
my heart will lead me there soon

We'lll meet beyond the shore
we'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be beyond the sea
and never again I'll go sailin'

I know beyond a doubt
my heart will lead me there soon
We'll meet (I know we'll meet) beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be beyond the see
and never again I'll go sailin'

I contribute "Mack the knife" to Gollum.

From: U | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evenspire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 689
posted      Profile for Evenspire   Email Evenspire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To Legolas, I dedicate Bali Hai

Bali Hai will call you
Any night any day
Come to me your special island
come away come away

Evenspire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 689
To Aragorn I dedicate, "To Dream the Impossible Dream" from Don Quixote.
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm reading Tolkien, I hear the Soundtrack or the "Tolkien Ensemble"
From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asphodel of Brandy Hall
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1842

posted      Profile for Asphodel of Brandy Hall   Email Asphodel of Brandy Hall   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering where i would be able to find Blind Guardian and Summoning (if that's what they are called) Thank you
From: Wisconsin USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celeborn of Lothlórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1208

posted      Profile for Celeborn of Lothlórien   Author's Homepage   Email Celeborn of Lothlórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well..it's this chrisitan girl named michelle Nordman..and for some reason i always loved readin lotr to this music!!!
From: Downingtown,Pa | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have listened o the soundtrack for lotr while reading, but it's usually whatever else I feel like hearing. Last night I was reading The Silm and listening to Bright Eyes. Stairway to Heaven is great! And of course Enya and Lorena Mckennit(sp?)
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As I now read the Sim, I find myself listening to "The Planets Suite" by Gustav Holst. There are 7 movements. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune. If you download them, or get them, listen to them in that order. They flow beautifully. From the light, flighty sounds of Mercury to the soft strings of Venus, to the pounding march of Mars, to the joyful fanfares of Jupiter, to the eerie softness of Saturn, to the blasting, then bounciness of Uranus, then the soft, caressing release of Neptune. There is no Pluto, because it hadn't been discovered until after Holst died. Plus, Neptune fades away nicely, and it's a good way to end it. Total listening time of all 7 is 51 minutes and 20 seconds. For some, that's a few chapters, for others, that's The Hobbit. But, it's nice music, and it helps soothe the mind.

The first time I read through the books, I didn't listen to anything. I took them in as they were. Now, when I reread them, I listen to either Holst, Metallica, or Queen (my favorite band). I can do anything while listening to Queen or Metallica, especially reading.

But, that was my diatrap for the day. Wait.....no, i'll probably have at least one more today. Toodles!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Play 'Wheels On The Bus' and get the hell out of my sight."

On a bumper sticker "Jesus Saves...the rest of you take full damage."

From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some great stuff to listen to while reading Tolkien to me is anything from a Canadian label called Constellation Records. Two amazing bands of theirs, God Speed You Black Emperor and Do Make Say Think have a certain appealing mixture to Tolkien's world. They are labeled a post-rock genre, but as I disagree with placing things in genre's at all, I wouldn't call them that. They are instrumental, God Speed using alot of violin and cello drones, while Do Make Say uses alot of simple electric guitar riffs.

Suffice it to say just put an album in and start reading and you'll be amazed at how well they match up, the music and the books. Very dramatic, very cool.

GREAT TOPIC!

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I read LotR, I was listening to the BoDeans--hearing them always reminds me of Frodo and Sam going into Moria.

The Old Blind Dogs are also good background music for reading Tolkien. Some of their reels are perfect matches with the ride of the Rohirrim!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
... and while Angband was beseiged and its doors shut there were green things even among the pits and broken rocks before the doors of hell.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oro! I listen to Godspeed You Black Emperor while reading LotR, too!

And I do not agree that you have to listen to something classical to get in the groove. Maybe for you, Isildur; but I find certain forms of rock to be highly appropriate.

Reading TTT to the album "Shapes," by Polvo, is almost eerie!

Danse Manatee, Karate and Atmosphere's "GodLovesUgly (instrumental version)" all make excellent companions to the Silmarillion, as well, IMO.

quote:
Evenspire: I contribute "Mack the knife" to Gollum.
Highly appropriate, except that the song was written long before LotR. []

[ 01-07-2003, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesBrennan331
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3033
posted      Profile for JamesBrennan331   Email JamesBrennan331   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always start with Zeppelins Battle of evermore and Ramble on because of the Tolkien mentions, and then i settle in to some early who such as the Tommy album. It seems fitting somehow because those british rock&rollers grew up with Tolkien
From: Midland Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erufailë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2038
posted      Profile for Erufailë   Email Erufailë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quendil Gondolindrim wrote:

quote:
When I'm reading Tolkien, I hear the Soundtrack or the "Tolkien Ensemble"
Do you mean the two CDs "An Evening in Rivendell" and "A Night in Rivendell" by Caspar Reiff & co? I found those two last year and for a while I did not listen to anything else. I think they are great, although some of the vocalists could pay a bit more attention to the pronunciation. :-)

On the other hand I find it difficult to listen to a music with lyrics when reading a book, so lately I have just been listening to the movie soundtracks when I am reading Tolkien. By the way, this thread gave me a lots of new music tips, so thanks everybody!

From: Formenórë | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lembas Baker, Inc
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2949
posted      Profile for Lembas Baker, Inc   Edit/Delete Post 
The long and winding road. Paul McCartney

We will rock you. Queen (for the orcs)

Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tunes to Tolkien By
Hmm... back in the day, I would usually take my book and walk somewhere peaceful to sit and read, like inside a big cement pipe they were going to ut in the ground at my swampy hometown park. The sounds of nature in the woods accompanied my first reading.

Now a days, I'll put a playlist of Faun on youtube or put them on Pandora and read away.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Snowy, me too! [] I first read The Fellowship of the Ring while sitting under massive pine trees on the shores of Payette Lake near McCall, ID. I was a teen, and we were MILES from any library - My family couldn't fathom why I was so upset about being left hanging at the breaking of the Fellowship! [] [] [] I actually have trouble reading or studying when music is playing. It takes a great deal of concentration for me to shut out the music, because the music just completely takes over my brain! About the only thing I like to do with music playing is to clean the house, or cook. []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do certain songs make you think of the books?
Hmmm, sort of . . . [] []

“Born to be Wild”
-Ghân-buri-ghân and the Púkel Quartet

“Over the Rainbow”
-Manwë and the Harpettes

“Wipeout”
-Ar-Pharazôn and the Immortals

“Rama Lama Ding Dong”
-The Bombadillos

“My Boyfriend’s Back”
-Arwen and the Undómiel Revue

“We’ve Got a Ticket to Ride”
-The Baggins Boys

“I Wanna Go Home”
-Galadriel and the Crybabies

“The Wanderer”
-Gildor and the Inglorion Rockers

“I Wanna Get out of This Place”
-Sméagol and the Dead Faces

“Catch a Falling Star”
-Eärendil and the Flammifer Five

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
quote:
What music did you first listen to while reading The Hobbit/LotR?

Or, is there a favorite now?

Do certain songs make you think of the books?

Reading the Battle of Pelennor while listening to Heart doing a cover of Led's Battle of Evermore.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help