Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 2)
Author Topic: Tunes to Tolkien By
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
posted      Profile for Virgil   Email Virgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be annoyingly redundant because I did mention Led Zep's Tolkien phase, but specificity is always appropriate. (I hope!)

Battle of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven and Misty Mountain Hop were the ones I was thinking of.

------------------
I will take the ring, though I do not know the way.

This message has been edited by Virgil on 06-30-2001 at

From: Carlisle, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celedaen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 513
posted      Profile for Celedaen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My fav. music to listen to when I'm reading Tolkien is varied. There's a CD called Adagio that I really like, also Celtic Mysteries I and II and any and all Alsdair Fraiser. I like Blind Guardian, but not while I read the books.
From: Somewhere in Arda | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
posted      Profile for Virgil   Email Virgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Evenspire, many thanks for your compliment, but much of the group out here is over 40!!!!
We know all them tunes!

------------------

From: Carlisle, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eowyn of Edoras
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 714

posted      Profile for Eowyn of Edoras   Author's Homepage   Email Eowyn of Edoras   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to Debussy's Sonata for flute, harp, and viola. It had an eerie classical feel to it.
From: Pa, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read a few chapters the other night with some ambient by a group called Amethystium. Deep Sky Divers and Daniel Cox are good too.

P.S. A lot of their stuff is freely downloadable from MP3.com - Look under the Ambient or Mood Music genres

This message has been edited by Elassar on 08-02-2001 at

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone have a list of all the Led Zeplin songs that have Middle Earth referances?

------------------
~Fool of a Took
The crownless again shall be King.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
You probably saw the thread in LoTR about Led Zep. See that if you get no replies here. Great tunes, eh???

------------------

Kalinor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 778
posted      Profile for Kalinor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must recommend the Grateful Dead. They were almost named The Hobbits and played a few early shows as The Warlocks. Hippies and hobbits are very closely related IMHO.
From: Naperville, IL | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hail and well met, Kalinor.
Kalinor's a Dead Head?
To all a belated Happy b-day, Jerry.
RIP

------------------
the takers get the honey
givers sing the blues

This message has been edited by Mellon on 08-11-2001 at

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On my first reading, I was listening to Enya's "Watermark" album right when I came to the Withywindle and the Barrow-downs. The sorrow-filled songs represent the unattainable past of Middle Earth, particularly the woman who wore the brooch, juxtaposed with the living green land of Bombadil.

I always think of Moonlight Sonata when I read the wakening of the Elves.

------------------
Imbëar Nolwëhín
Down, down, to Goblin town!

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
Belated greetings, Kalinor.
Haven't signed on for a week.
Was just driving down the road listening to a 1973 live bootleg-type CD of Jerry & Co. thinking that a wee bit of a Tolkien book would be appropriate!
Right you are!

------------------

Elbereth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 481
posted      Profile for Elbereth   Author's Homepage   Email Elbereth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like listening to clannad, magical ring, or Mary Black when I'm reading Tolkien, they often made me think of the elvish songs etc.
From: Guildford, Surrey, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jóhnny, the Jester
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 579

posted      Profile for Jóhnny, the Jester   Email Jóhnny, the Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
this may be a dumb question but on my web page i was going to put up some msic and well i dont think limp bizket would be right so what would be some good tunes?
From: Q-Tip | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
I think you could follow the lead of the bands suggested in this thread. I can vouch for the superb taste of the group(!)

------------------

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Annatar, good post about Orff's Carima Burana. I have to agree there. It fits very well with Tolkien. But I'm surprised noone has mentioned the Canadian band Rush. They have several Tolkienesque songs. They even have one named "Rivendell." Some of their older stuff (i.e. "Return of the Prince" off of Caress of Steel) is very Tolkien-related. Now, you notice I said they have some Tolkien-related songs. I didn't say they were any good!
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eoin MacDomhnaill
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 863
posted      Profile for Eoin MacDomhnaill   Author's Homepage   Email Eoin MacDomhnaill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are several songs which always take me to Middle Earth. One, however, immediately comes to mind. No musical piece, in any musical genre, captures the haunting atmosphere of Moria quite like the piece titled "Lear", on the cd, "Deep Listening" by Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster and Panaiotis (New Albion Records). It was recorded in a deep cistern, nearly 200 feet in diameter, located on an abandoned military base. It's worthwhile listening - 24 minutes of dark Moria.

This message has been edited by Eoin MacDomhnaill on 09-06-2001 at

From: The Berkshires, Massachusetts, U.S. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gothmog35
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 902
posted      Profile for Gothmog35   Email Gothmog35   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Led Zep most definately! Dream Theater is a close second.They are so full of intensity and energy yet still hold a soothing quality much like Tolkien's writings.At least to me.
Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter From the North
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 967
posted      Profile for Hunter From the North   Email Hunter From the North   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As far as while reading the books goes, I like laying on my bed with the windows open dowards dusk in the late fall when the temp is quite cool and the wind is causeing the leaves to rustle..
From: Estherville, Iowa, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
Well, it's November in south central PA and late fall, dusk enjoyment is at an all-time premium. Can't say I can argue with your preference!!
Lord of the Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 534
posted      Profile for Lord of the Nazgul   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My fav has to be The Curse of Feanor by Blind Guardian....it has the best lyrics in any Tolkien related song....though i do like The battle for evermore alot.....
From: Somewhere in Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone try reading LOTR while listening to the new soundtrack? Just curious.
From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well not lotr but Tolkien yes it actually helps
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1077
posted      Profile for Azaelia of Willowbottom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm For some reason, Enya seems to really be one of the picks from a lot of people, myself included. I also listen to a lot of John Williams, and I think of LOTR when I hear some of his stuff.
And *blushes* I listen to country...Boy am I a nerd...I'm so embarrassed... But I heard this song that was something about Moving On, but I have no idea who sung it or what its real title is, but it just reminded me of Frodo leaving the Shire and going to the Grey Havens.
And Tim McGraw's The Cowboy in Me reminds me of Strider. Now that I have proclaimed my nerdiness, and uncoolness, I will ask you please not to make fun of me. Goodness knows, I get enough of that at school because I'm always carring around some big book (LOTR, go figure), I wear glasses, I don't have a boyfriend, I don't wear really skimpy clothes, I don't wear makeup, and I don't have many friends. The internet and especially sites like these are pretty much my only refuges.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Azaelia of Willowbottom ]

From: Willowbottom :) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Except for the glasses (which I will probably need someday since I am the only one in my family without them right now) it sounds like you are disgribing me!
I wonder if I would like those songs.....

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1077
posted      Profile for Azaelia of Willowbottom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is cool. I never expected a reply like that. I expected a "Hahaha she listens to country" type of thing for a reply. That's pretty cool!
From: Willowbottom :) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help