Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 1)
Author Topic: Tunes to Tolkien By
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
posted      Profile for Virgil   Email Virgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What music did you first listen to while reading The Hobbit/LotR?

Or, is there a favorite now?

Do certain songs make you think of the books?

------------------
I will take the ring, though I do not know the way.

From: Carlisle, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring (classical guitar arrangement) reminds me of the Riders of Rohan galloping across the plains.

As well as: see signature

------------------
He was the Wizard of a thousand kings.
And I chanced to meet him one night wandering.
He told me tales
And he drank my wine.
Me and my magic man kinda feelin' fine.

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to Black Sabbath's first record and Volume 4. It was so Mordor-ish.

------------------
The takers get the honey
Givers sing the blues

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
posted      Profile for Virgil   Email Virgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Had that Bach tune performed at my wedding by a quartet. Great stuff!

------------------

From: Carlisle, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And the flower girls were cute, too.

------------------
The takers get the honey
Givers sing the blues

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A great thread Virgil!
First time I've read FotR,I've listened to Dire Straits,actually Mark Knopfler on the Sultans of Swing limited edition,on the concert in Royal Albert Hall.So he was playing Brothers in Arms,and that version of that song will always be my image as LotR.You might like to listen to it.

From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
Why, thank you A_C, I would like to listen to it. Perhaps you could locate an untouched Master's version of it and forward it to me, most carefully wrapped. I will give it my undivided attention.

No? OK, I'll handle it ~ sigh.

Now, I answer my own question. Listened to Led Zep during their Tolkien phase, E's sig band, M's sig band, Queen I & II, Black Sabbath, too. Although I think of Black Sabbath more with Conan; ya know, the little fellow from Cimeria. Also, Rod Stewart scotch glass album. Technical term, don't banty it about.

------------------

This message has been edited by Virgil on 06-06-2001 at

Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That tune on the "pure moods cd" commercial always reminds me of when Aragorn found the seedling
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Pure moods cd"?What is that?
From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is a cd full of music which apparently is supposed to elicite emotional response. The commercials as far as I know are only broadcast in the states though.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason Stone Temple Pilots' music has always reminded me of LotR.

The song 'Sour Girl' reminds me of Eowyn.

------------------
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Carpe Diem!

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oops...I forgot about Led Zep's "Stairway to Heaven"
From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like Blind Guardian, many of their songs follow the books very closely
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I usually cant read with music on, but sometimes I listen to a cd called "Rain Forest" which has a lot of sound effects and music...It is calming and nice...I also listen to various movie soundtracks.....
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
NT, I listen to that sometimes before sleep at night. Really relaxing.

------------------

Faiolin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 517
posted      Profile for Faiolin   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It´s a long time ago, more than 15 years now, but I think I listened to mystical music (like Clannad), music from movies (Last unicorn, Neverending story..) and Beethoven and Berlioz.
Now I like to listen to "Nightfall in Middle-earth" by Blind Guardian. I don´t like the group very much, but the lyrics are just great.

From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
Who are those Blind Guardians?
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Grieg's 'Hall of the Mountain King' is perfect for the escape of the fellowship from Moria. Other Grieg from 'Peer Gynt' and 'Sigurd Jorsalfar' has lots of Tolkienian echoes.

------------------
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

I always thought of the Halls of the Mountain King as the ride of rohan. Goind slow and quite until they reach the outer wall then going loud and fast into battle.
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
I always thought of Ride of the Valkyries as the ride of Rohan. I don't know why.
Virgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 435
Because it is very fitting, that's why!!!!!

------------------

Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

Yea i think i have to agree with you Aragorn Wagner goes better with tolkien then Peer gynt. In away that song was made for the Rohiryym(sp??)
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
Mr.Tamburine Man by Bob Dylan reminds me of Elf songs.
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I first read the LotR my older sister was learnign some Christimas song called Pat-a-pan on the piano. Until I learned the song myself, everytime she played it I stopped whatever I was doing and just listened, in awe of the music as it reminded me of the LotR.
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annatar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 643
posted      Profile for Annatar   Author's Homepage   Email Annatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful topic!

Let's see . . . .

Hall of the Mountain King was always Bilbo and the Dwarves sneeking into Smaug's lair.

O Fortuna from the Carmina Burana was always the theme of the Silmarilion in general; everytime I listen to it I plot out a short trailer for the film version of the Silmarilion. It always has Gondolin and Beren and Luthien as Luthien dances for Morgoth and Sauron laughing in the Temple as Numenor is swallowed around him and the Anuir singing and all that other great stuff.

ya know.

And Enya's Lothlorien was always, well, Lothlorien

And track 3 on the First Night soundtrack was always Aragorn's parade into Gondor as the King.

And the John William's celebration theme from Empire of the Sun begins as Gandalf raises his staff high in front of the Black Gate and proclaims that "The Realm of Sauron has ended."

I am sure there is more. If I can think of it I will post it later .

From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Ivy Bush » Tunes to Tolkien By (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help