Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Minas Tirith's 13th Anniversary !!! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Minas Tirith's 13th Anniversary !!!
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

May 21 – 25 is our anniversary. Stop by and say hi!

So we'll make this thread be the conversation about why we're still here, what goals we have, what we expect from our time here. Just so we don't have to bother with an entirely different thread titled "MinasTirith.com... why?"

Seriously though, there have always been those who question us. As if we think we're a big deal or something. We exist. That's it. A place to talk Tolkien. No big whoop.

Advertising? Nope. News? No thanks. Organize a literary roundtable on a yearly basis?

Look. Others can be the best. That's awesome. I could have tried to hang on by my fingernails and try to monetize this. I could have fund-raised within an inch of my morality. I could have upgraded my software and then paid to have it customized to retain our identity. I decided simply to keep our identity.

In today's world, content equals money. I refuse to force the generation of content. It's that simple. It's a soulless occupation and I want no part of it. I've got a career. I have a great marriage and two wonderful kids. That's my life. I'm not much of a Skynyrd man, but I know truth when I hear it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs

I don't want to come off as defensive when trying to explain the simplicity of what we "do" here, but my goal is that MinasTirith continues to exist. It will be here for those who enjoy it being here. If some young kid discovers Tolkien tomorrow and looks for a place to share their thoughts about it, we'll be here. If they find our environment more welcoming or more conducive to sharing ideas than other places, that's great. They'll read posts and write posts. It's not complicated.

So raise your glass and whatever's in it, and toast our community. Oldbies, lurkers, and sock puppets. Great features, old glitches and big ideas abandoned. Posts about The Lord of the Rings and posts about us.

Minas Tirith.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hope to remember to raise a glass of mead to MT on Friday or Saturday!

I’ll be encamped at a small German village, we’re having a busy Tolkien Weekend there, German and Dutch Tolkien Societies together.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still around and intend to be as long as this place exists. I may not feel the need to debate Tolkien's works very much any more*, but I'm still a fan and I would very much miss a lot of these folks if MT disappeared into the ether.

Appropriately enough, this morning I saw the following, carefully printed in the dirt on the back of a white van:

-

Long live Minas Tirith! May the White City never fall!

[] [] []

* Because Balrogs obviously don't have wings

[ 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Appropriately enough, this morning I saw the following, carefully printed in the dirt on the back of a white van:
That's awesome. I should really learn that one. Never thought of drawing it myself.

I too feel little urge to ask questions. What things I do ponder, it's a slow ponder of the elderly - solitary and deep. []

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[] This fine city is a teenager! Well done Mr Steward! []

Been around since the beginning, and won't be going anywhere, because I enjoy this place. The fact it still looks just like it did when I stumbled over a link in an Alta Vista search (anybody remember that search engine?) and fell into its empty halls 13 years ago is all the more reason to love this place. I raise my Red Hill Scottish Ale to toast Minas Tirith.com *cheers*, our benevolent Steward *cheers*, and to all of you oldbies, lurkers, and sockpuppets whom I don't know half half as well as I should like; and like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. *cheers*

[ 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posts about The Lord of the Rings and posts about us.
That’s why this is the best LotR site.

All hail the Stewart and the City! ::raises beverage and drinks to everyone’s health::

Thanks for keeping Minas Tirith healthy, WGW. There’s not as much activity as when I arrived 12 years ago but part of reason is the successful and effective organization of the site. I still occasionally come up with LotR questions and want to start a thread but I always first search the board. Most of the times my question has already been discussed and my questions answered. MT has a very rich library!

The great things about Minas Tirith are its clean easy to use interface, vast store of information, and it’s fun. These are because of its Stewart and citizens.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Happy Birthday, MT! []

Terrible teens now, WGW. Are you ready for it? []

E: *raise her mug of green tea and pretend it's something stronger* []

[ 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess no-one will be paying you 140 million for this site then WGW! Happy 13th anniversary MT. Unlucky for some.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome post, WGW! []

Happy birthday MT! []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Anniversary from an early dwarven clan, and from me.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, MT!

Thank you for making it, and for keeping it up all these years, WGW!

And thank you, all my fellow citizens who have been posting here!

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A special cake for a special website...
 -

Happy Anniversary MT!

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
HOLY CRAP THAT IS BEAUTIFUL

I COULD TOTALLY MAKE THAT

TO THE KITCHEN!

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been known to bake a cake or two, but that would be a challenge!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers. [] []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That is an amazing creation, Braeden! You are a true artist! What is written in the runes on the side? Let me guess: Minas Tirith?
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I'm afraid my only artistry above is cropping the extra space out of the picture and stealthily adding the link for a cake-maker's blog where I found the image. []

I am a true artist [] ... just not in cake decoration. []

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll shout one of these for everyone! Happy 13th!

-

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Nice to see the Snowdoggie having fun, anyway!

[ 05-28-2013, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

quote:
my only artistry above is cropping the extra space out of the picture and stealthily adding the link
[] That's what I get for not clicking the cake pic.
::clicks pic::
quote:
the tree of Gondor is on the top and the script from the ring is around the sides
That seems a bit non sequitur.

I guess we'll have to wait to see what Athene's cake says.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

In celebration of this 13th anniversary of Minas Tirith.. how about sharing some of our geart memories? I remember zilverboltz and his blitz of the few dozen threads in August 2000. The kid from Calgary was 15 then. He'd be 27-28 now. Wonder how he's doing in life.
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

There have been so many great (geart) moments I’m finding it impossible to think of one that stands out.

I did a search so I’ll post the first one I found: Gandalf’s ears. It starts with a reluctant newbe who describes himself as cynical and evil then actually states he is “used to assassination attempts” followed by an incredible debate about Men’s (and others’) ears then ends with another newbe [] who derails the topic and kills the thread.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

*13th Anniversary White City remembrances....*

So..... Lycra and Mad Matt joined Minas Tirith to end their marriage after Lycra's fling with someone at her church, who also registered here as Waiting in the Wings. Not a peep from any of them in recent years. I'd have suspected sock-puppetry had I not actually met Lycra and talked to Mad Matt on the phone once. Too weird....

Lycra's Phoenix Inn

Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] "Lycra"
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[] []

So in the course of a few years, Lycra and Mad Matt came here, with Waiting in the Wings a bit later, and in the end Lycra divorced Mad Matt, married Wings, and disappeared. Mad Matt hung around awhile until he met a hottie and married her, and left. (C'mon Mad Matt & Lycra, see this and come back!) [] []

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Minas Tirith's 13th Anniversary !!! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help