Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Passing the Hat (Page 1)
Author Topic: Passing the Hat
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, domain registration renewal is nigh, and my wife is going to make good on her threats to "trade up" if I spring the full cost on her.

Five years of minastirith.com costs about $160-ish. If you have the means and the compassion in your heart ( [] ), donate with the link in the upper right. I recently received a nice surprise donation, but it's not nearly enough for the domain vultures.

I'll put every penny I receive into buying as many years as I can.

BTW, I still (for the moment) own minastirith.net, but the reasons for having it have blurred over the years, and it's not worth the domain renewal fees. I'm letting it go.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for reminding us []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm letting it go.
You're leaving or disassociating your affiliation/steward duties regardless?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wha??
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WTF? No, I think he means he's dropping www.minastirith.net. not www.minastirith.com.

I'll have to see what I have in my PayPal account.... []

[ 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Has the .net-address been used for anything?
Or did you keep it just so that others shouldn't use it? And is that not so likely any more?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

It was a mirror, and it seemed cheap once upon a time just to keep it away from others. This was back in the heady days where the movies had people slavering over the potential profit to be made, and someone definitely would have snagged it. Not that big a deal any more.

Remember 25 Hobbits??

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember 25 Hobbits??
So what are they down to now, maybe 3 or 4?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Has relayed the message*
It will work out nicely. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A timely reminder WGW

I hope those of use who do still use the site find something to contribute, if they have the means []

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

quote:
WTF? No, I think he means he's dropping...
Phew!

My Lord Steward, expect an incoming donation via PayPal, probably today.

After all, without you as my Steward, where else would I wait for the Return of the King? []

edit: DONE!

[ 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, pi! []

WGW, I'll donate more if needed. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Wow!

Well, we quickly squeaked passed the mark to be able to buy 5 years. It's really great that I don't have to worry about coming up with this myself. Thank you all for your continued support.

We still have plenty of time until it expires in March, so I'll keep the hat passing just in case some oldbie wins big on a scratch-off. []

9 years is about $250 and the more you buy at one time, the more you save. 20 years is about $450 and 99 years is almost $2000! Cripes, what a racket!

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

My Lord Steward,
quote:
my wife is going to make good on her threats to "trade up" if I spring the full cost on her.
If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest you use some of the money and take your lady out to dinner, and give her all of our thanks for being so understanding.
It's only money, after all.

Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 25 Hobbits!!

My voting link signature for one of its successors seems to link to an indian pharmacy page now... Its good to see that Minas Tirith has held strong through changing times

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would the Steward accept ten of your English pounds?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Paypal does do currency conversions, I believe. A tenner would be great!

We're about $50 from being able to buy 9 years. Since it's so close, whatever the gap is, I'll fill it.

I don't think I can dream of affording 20 years (since it's about double), but it's good to know we won't have to worry about this again until 2020.

Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think buy 5 years and take Mrs WGW out for dinner on us to apologise for distracting her man these past years []
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Exactly! WGW, you deserve it. Have you reached the $250/9 years amount yet?
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Treat the wife, dude.

Donated what I could. It's schoolbook buying season and I majored in English, partially thanks to some of the people here [] I mean, seriously, this April is my 10th birthday around here.

[ 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Well, we're about $20 shy of affording the 9-year renewal. I'll throw in my donation on payday, and we'll be over the top!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in this time and any other time before. It's wonderful to not have to worry about this substantial expense again until 2020.

Part of my original goals for Minas Tirith was to have its information available for a long time, and you've definitely made that a reality! [] []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Which reminds me, I owe you a tenner! I'll get round to it.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For rather complicated reasons which I won't go into here, I can't use Paypal. [] Is there any other way to donate?
From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Well, I got rid of the PO Box quite a while ago, so no. Don't worry about it. []
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon the delay, WGW, but I finally got the collective acts together for Snowdog and Elora on this front. Hope it helps. Now all I need to do is inform the Dawg of where his beer money went for the month and why my vodka money is in the bank for consumption... []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Passing the Hat (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help