Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » 10 Years of Minas Tirith ! (Page 1)
Author Topic: 10 Years of Minas Tirith !
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

May 21 – 25 is the anniversary, but I wanted to get this in early before I was accused of forgetting again!

10 YEARS! Wow, time flies. A lot of things have changed.

We actually started with Tolkien top site voting - if the newbies even know what that is! At one time, every smilie was carefully weighed and judged for its usefulness. Registration floods and citizen dramas waxing and waning like the phases of the moon. It’s hard to believe now that The Lord of the Rings is just another movie on TBS every other week.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the forum software. Keeping my real job, raising young children and keeping myself sane with personal interests has kept me from devoting the effort needed to get us over the last large humps that stand in the way of forum software stability.

However (new paragraph and not just a new sentence because it’s important), I will have two weeks of long boring evenings to fill coming soon, and I’m going to make a game effort. I’m a programmer dammit! I can do this!

Here’s the work in progress in case you’ve forgotten.

Anyway, no plans on closing the gates, so anyone with that on their mind can rest easy. We’re up for domain renewal in 2011, but that is the only “serious” expense on the horizon. Someday I’ll be able to afford the 99 year domain registration plan and leave future decisions about minastirith.com to my heirs. []

As for the future of Minas Tirith, who knows? Maybe the band Minas Tirith will reform and sue me into oblivion! Until then…

Cheers!

WGW

9th, 8th, 5th, 4th, and 3rd anniversary threads...

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Happy [] Happy [] Happy [] Birthday [] to [] Minas Tirith []

...and many more...

Thanks, WGW

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Minas Tirith! []
10th anniversary? That's a jubilee! []

I thought 'I'll look at some of the oldies anniversary threads, from before my time' - but there was only one, the 3rd. From the 4th, I was participating - I've been around for quite a while as well!

This has been my first internet home. Thank you for creating it, WGW!
And thanks to all those of you that I've met here!

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The White City is still my home []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday MT [] [] [] []

I'm so very glad to have found this place for many, many reasons []

Here's to hoping it will never become a big Rath Dínen.

Cheers, White City !

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 10th Birthday MT!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday MT!

May we eventually get back to a place where Tolkien gets discussed more than whoever is currently President...

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Its been 10 years since I tried to crash the gates of Minas Tirith. My registration date would have been May 20 had the process worked for me then. It didn't, and I bookmarked the site for the future on my work computer. Work being just that, work, I didn't get a moment to check out all the bookmarks I made over the years until August, and lo & behold, registration worked!

I'm thinking of remodeling Snowdog's Inn and having a ten year RP party or something....

And I lift my tankard of Brisbane Pale Ale to you sir Wielder of White Gold for keeping this a great place to have fun through the years, and for the future of this fine city! Looking forward to the new board software, and happy with the consistency you have kept the place.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Best. Forum. Ever.
From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hurrah! MT's 10th anniversary and my 10th wedding anniversary in the same year - co-incidence?

Thank you, WGW!

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Discussing Tolkien more than the US President? Not yet!

http://www.minastirith.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=008114;p=78#001948

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most of what is in that thread is just the same ol hot air being breathed to and fro by the the same few citizens/dopplegangers, and doesn't have much to do about the U.S. president at all. But it's all good. Whatever floats their boats. []

I think Tolkien has come and gone as a pop novelty. Sure the Hobbit will be made and it will generate interest, but there isn't really anything to wonder about since the screenworld of Middle Earth has been defined by the earlier movies.

Now its getting back to the remaining geeks to keep it going.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary, Minas Tirith! Just a few days late. []

I love these forums for so many reasons. The past 9 years of my life would seriously not be the same without the lasting impact of friends I have made through this place. []

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
10 years already! Well, time flies, doesn't it? Congrats to our good Steward and to all citizens of the fair city, whether active, just lurking, completely inactive, or deceased. They all've made this city great!

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Minas Tirith I salute you!
Long ago I wandered in your beautyful streets looking for a shelter from the orcs and I am glad to say that a fairest city I have never encountered.
The Stweart has done a great job over the years, keeping the streets quiet and free of spies and enemies, despite the occasional distrbance that was at times beneficial for the moral of the soliders.
[]

Seriously I would like to thank from the heart WGW who has undoubtedly made a great effort to create this magnificent site, that still presides over all the rest, according to me anyway.
But even more I would like to send some good vibrations to all those I have met in here, since for 4 years I was almost living in here.

Happy Birthday Minas Tirith, I do not forget of your white walls even what I am away.
And looking forward to another ten years.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Stweart has done a great job over the years
Well he ain't fitted a bloody spell checker yet has he?! []
[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Is that an English, Elven, Dwarvish or Orkish spellchecker, wetty?
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So you expect me to come back in here after all this time and post a spell-proof post? []
Seriously? []
That would be a bit of a departure from tradition, wouldn't it?
[]

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ringthane
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3
posted      Profile for Ringthane   Author's Homepage   Email Ringthane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And happy tenth from another elusive, wandering citizen!
From: Lombard, IL, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You must be the most elusive/wandering of them all.

[ 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You must be the most elusive/wandering of them all.
Nope, that'd be Citizen # 1 []

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] [] Happy 10th Anniversary [] [] []

Apologies for being a bit late - other business and sundry mishaps have kept me off MT for two months - which is unusual for me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Círdan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 812
posted      Profile for Círdan   Author's Homepage   Email Círdan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Citizen 1 would be a pretty sweet name for the MT space rock band. Nimruzir would be in it.
From: Atlanta | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That long? It seems just like yesterday! I've made some long term friends on this site. And had some that were all too short.

I miss you, Bungo, and still think of you.

Thanks, WGW, for the forum. It is appreciated.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » 10 Years of Minas Tirith ! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help