Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - A New Hope (Page 7)
Author Topic: Avatars - A New Hope
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What is that, a baby dragon ghost? I'm not seeing it.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the cover of Tales of the Perilous Realm for comparison. As to what the figure is, I've never really formally identified it as dragon or boggart or spriggans except as something which fits the world of the Tom Bombadil poems, where Goldberry lives under water and her mother is some form of river spirit.
 -

If you think this is too generally fantasy and not Perilous Realm- Tolkien-specific enough, I'll find something else. I've just never really liked the purple tree.

Varnafindë, if you want to try to make it green just for the fun of trying, please try. Thanks.

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would this be a better tree?

-

Then there is the option of having it transparent, if you like ...
Centered ...

-

or left-aligned

-

The original picture had less than 16 colors, so I changed each value of purple in the palette to the corresponding value of green, and hoped that it would give a similar overall impression.

[ 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the centered version again, just to show you what the transparency will look like on the darker grey background ...

-

I think I'll recommend it with the original white background after all.

[ 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Varna, squaring it off was an excellent idea. []

Boss could I have this please?

-

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bethberry - Good enough for me.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loremaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5353

posted      Profile for Loremaster   Email Loremaster   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW - may I have this as my avatar?

-

I love Pauline Baynes' drawings []

[ 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Loremaster ]

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] My copy of LotR is the one with the Pauline Baynes slipcover, showing a view framed by black and yellow trees. Sadly, now defunct, after years of heavy reading. []

[ 04-04-2012, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks WGW []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mad, is your avatar a reflection of any subconscious urges you may be harbouring? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OMG []
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

quote:
Mad, is your avatar a reflection of any subconscious urges you may be harbouring?
Well since it kinda looks like he's chugging a hornful of meade.. I'll say yes! []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
or toking on a pot pipe. don't bogart that joint, my friend!
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

A bit late with the reply here. I wasn't gone all that long for Oxonmoot, but it sure seemed to leave me with lots of catching up to do once I returned home.

I think since Varnafindë kindly played with the colour of my original avatar here, I will go with that new green one, aligned left and without the white background.

If I may,White Gold Wielder. Thanks!

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I hope you'll be happy with it, Bethberry!
Surely green is a more appropriate color than purple for the daughter of Tom and Goldberry.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] to Bethberry's new av...
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

I am indeed, Varnafindë. Thanks muchly for your help. [] And glad you like it, Snowdog. []
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be considered 'too similar' if I were to re-do my own with a higher quality image now that better ones exist? People were always nagging me to back in the day, IIRC. However, I don't want to waste my time if it's going to cause avatar-confusion with the gallery and all. Do let me know, WGW. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Submit it and I'll figure it out. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, WGW.

After some internal debate, I think I'd like to have this one please. []

-

(Hopefully it displays properly and I uploaded the correct file-size one, I haven't done this in a while! Feel free to poke me with a stick if I messed up somewhere! [] )

Edit: Typos.

[ 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

There ya go. Refresh your browser if you don't see it.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Thank you very much! []
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! []

I've already forgotten how the old avatar looked like. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[] Thanks.

Psst, it looked like this. []

-

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is a slight difference. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - A New Hope (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help