Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - A New Hope (Page 5)
Author Topic: Avatars - A New Hope
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I notice some citizens, like Thorin for example, haven't chosen one and he's an old timer here. I wonder why. Just can't find the one that feels right?
Some ancientbies consider not having an avatar to be a mark of pride.

They're just crazy, senile old folks, naturally. [] []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Naturally. []

Back when we first got avatars for the site the atmosphere here was quite a bit different. There was a lot of nonsense, to put it mildly. A number of us wanted to make a statement about the quality of our posts instead of the prettiness of our avatars, and so refused to use them. Over time most of our little group went ahead and got avatars, though, but I didn't. It is just a habit now, really. If WGW made them mandatory or something I would probably get a picture of the Professor. But until then I'm happy to do without.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It would be so great to have a picture of The Professor floating around...It's not a common choice, to say the least.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love this one of him chuckling over his pipe, with the college in the background [] :

-

E: Never mind; these are already available in the avatars list.

[ 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
TheGentleman had a picture of Tolkien as his avi, but he hasn't posted in several years, alas.

I would like a plain silver spoon for mine, with a transparent background - I keep meaning to try and make one.

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my favourite pictures of the Professor:

-

Probably because the shadows and contrast make it feel so dramatic and serious somehow. []

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TheGentleman had a picture of Tolkien as his avi, but he hasn't posted in several years, alas.
Actually, he popped in two or three months ago, here.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would like a plain silver spoon for mine, with a transparent background
You mean like the one that the dish ran away with?
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nice one, but I don't know how to transparantise the background:
 -

halp/

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a jpg-file. You need to change it to gif - gif-files can have transparency. Your program may even offer you the feature and ask what part of your color palette is supposed to be transparent.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I know it needs to be a .gif, but I'm at work and can't do it. I was just collecting the image in case someone else had a couple of minutes to do it, as I thought it was a nice one.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of forgetting something...How is a silver spoon related to Tolkien?
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

At the risk of forgetting something...How is a silver spoon related to Tolkien?

*sighs* *rolls eyes* [] only joking, It's in Frodo's song at the sign of the Prancing Pony! One of my favorite chapters in fact,
not sure if it was in the movie or not, in fact I think it wasn't!

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

It's also a double reference in a way, as "speaking with a silver spoon in one's mouth" means using very correct English, and as Tolkien was a linguist this is quite appropriate. []
I like.

[ 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's also the present that Bilbo gave Lobelia, isn't it ?
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Aha, so it is. [] [] Good choice.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

In Norway we have a saying "he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth", meaning that he was born in a wealthy family. I guess that saying would have the same origin.

And I would have had the time to fix the spoon, but I haven't got a program right here either ...
quote:
With a ping and a pong the fiddle-strings broke!
 the cow jumped over the Moon,
And the little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Saturday dish went off at a run
 with the silver Sunday spoon.

At the Sign of The Prancing Pony, FotR
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Norway we have a saying "he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth", meaning that he was born in a wealthy family. I guess that saying would have the same origin.
Same here []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Hmmm, now that you mention it that may have been what I meant. [] Disregard my previous statement. []
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Athene! Now that I know about the GIF thing i will see if I can change the background.

From TH, The Last Stage:
quote:
Many of his silver spoons mysteriously disappeared and were never accounted for. Personally he suspected the Sackville-Bagginses.
From LOTR, A Long-Expected Party:
quote:
For LOBELIA SACKVILLE-BAGGINS, as a PRESENT; on a case of silver spoons. Bilbo believed that she had acquired a good many of his spoons, while he was away on his former journey. Lobelia knew that quite well. When she arrived later in the day, she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Danke danke []
quote:
Yeah, we have that one too.
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see the proliferation of so many excellent and admirable avatars.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo Baggins Esq.
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 10661

posted      Profile for Bungo Baggins Esq.   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you WGW. I find the image reflective of my inner essence, for though I am only 26, I am also paradoxically a much older person.

With that said, I'm off to play shuffleboard. []

From: The Shire | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vahndel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5110

posted      Profile for Vahndel   Email Vahndel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
...I swear...this one...is....clean....

-

From: Florida, the Flower of the US | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Oooooooho, pretty. []
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - A New Hope (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help