Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - A New Hope (Page 1)
Author Topic: Avatars - A New Hope
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since my plans of automating the avatar process have been stuck in the mud for years now, I've decided to not let you all suffer any more.

NOW TAKING AVATAR REQUESTS!

Wait! Before the image-deprived of you out there start running off in every direction, listen up. If you made an avatar request in the past that was never completed, you'll have to make it again.

Here is the procedure:
- Use the Avatar Gallery to select an image. (It's on the top-right now.)
- Using the computer skills of a twenty-first century being, get the filename.
- Search for that filename in the Citizen Directory and make sure no one else is using it.
- Post the filename here, and I'll make the change to your profile.
- Be patient.

Once you have an avatar, I will be reluctant to change it often. I will honor all requests, but I draw the line at abuse of this policy. Choose an image you would want to represent you and don't plan on changing it often if ever.

If the depth of over 1800 choices is not enough for the finicky likes of you, I will accept custom avatars following these rules:

1. The image must be the correct size and shape.
It must be a GIF 60 high by 100 wide and not much bigger than 5k in file size.

2. The image must be Tolkien-relevant.
Just any fantasy image is not good enough. Use Tolkien artwork, movie images, or anything else Tolkien to be approved by me.

3. It must be a reasonably unique image.
You can't just ask for the same image as someone else. If the source is the same image, but the final avatar is different enough, then I will usually allow it.

To submit your request, either post it here or send me an email. I will host your image once approved, so don't worry if you can't do this yourself.

When editing an image, a useful tip to keeping the file size down is to cut down on the number of colors. Most images don't need more than 64 to look good. And if there is no noticeable image loss, feel free to cut the colors down even further. Under 5k file size is required, but 3-4k is much better!

Lastly, I cannot edit your avatar for you. Many citizens have offered their services in this, so take them up on it.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

I want  - this picture...and I will turn this into a request post as soon as someone can make it into an avatar for me. [] I'm useless with photoshop.

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You change names and avatars way too much. I hope you finally decide to stick with this one for good! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah! I may be able to do a few avatars here and there, though I'm afraid I've nowhere near the skill Fingolfin of the Noldor displayed.

That said, this bit of news, combined with the "Name behind the pseudonym" thread in the Pony is making me consider changing my name back to one I used to use at MT. Maybe now that I'm not as much of a regular, it wouldn't be so controversial. []

WGW, would it be possible to take a name used by a citizen who hasn't appeared in the city in at least six years?

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know I haven't changed EITHER in almost three years, right?
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éomer: Whenever a certain section of the board is rebuilt, the used names list is also rebuilt. If it really hasn't been used recently, it should be no problem. However, if the name is still in use, you're SOL. []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is my preference.

-

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. []
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Never mind, I'm going to request a different one, just getting artist permission.

[ 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you have patience, I could try to have a go at it. I just don't have the right program here. Later tonight when I'm back in my flat, I could try. I quite like that Amarië picture as well ...

Or are you considering the Jenny Dolfen one?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

I just sent an e-mail to Jenny Dolfen asking if one of the crops from earlier was okay. I really do love her picture.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly sure I know which one you're thinking of - it's another very beautiful picture.

And not quite as sad.

Edit:
Btw, WGW, thank you for doing this! I know you're making many people happy (if they're still here [] ). I was happy to get mine - it's my avatar on a few other boards as well now. I had just found it (in Parmastahir's Calendar thread) last time you gave us avatars!

[ 07-02-2009, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also aim for a Dolfen picture. And I also think I might need help. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

I has an avatar! []

Thanks!

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Amárië:
Snagged yours from an earlier thread. If you want to go with something else, let me know.

Edit: Anyway, I'm pretty sure you don't need an artist's written permission to use a crop of an image for an avatar. It's not like you're using it to sell BBQ chicken or spark plugs or something.

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My firewall at work must be screening me from copying the link since I only get "javascript:void(0);". []
I'd like the dark grey/black Norse sailboat silhouette with a dragon's head at the prow and three lines for waves which is in the "other" section of avatars on the second page.
Go ahead, tell me I am not a 21st century being (let alone an IT professional!) []
I'll get back on it this evening if I have time before my trip, unless...

Hey WGW, how are the funds for our city? Are we running low?

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

I'm actually quite fond of the one i have now. [] I like the colors better. I just couldn't figure out how to get it the right size. []

Thanks!

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

WGW beat me to it! []
Congratulations, Amarië! This will make "A Memory Fair but Unfinished..." look even better []

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

pi: It's not you exactly. There are remnants of code still lurking in the gallery, and the 'links' don't work. To get the filename, you could always right-click and go to Properties.

As far as funds go, the domain(s) are paid up until 2011. Hosting fees add up, but as long as I'm working, I don't mind absorbing those.

I forget when the P.O. Box expires, but I won't be renewing it anymore anyway. With the help of our generous citizenry, I was able to afford the private registration option on my domain. Since I don't need to shield my home address any more, the P.O. Box is an expense I don't need. Almost all donations come via Paypal anyway, and I haven't needed a valid return address for t-shirt packages for years and years. Time to simplify. Box 2551 is closed.

Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much!
From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have an avatar-sixed jpg, but when converted to gif the colours are distorted too much for my liking.

What program should I use? Recommendations?

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

You must be doing something wrong. I can use anything from Irfanview to ULead Gif Animator to Photoshop and have no trouble converting to GIF.
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

IrfanView, yes I have that. Time to try. []

E: I got it down to 5,8 kB before the colors got ugly.
 -
How to further reduce size?

[ 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Artaresto, if you put up the original, high-res image, I can try to help you out. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - A New Hope (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help