Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Calm After the Storm (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Calm After the Storm
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to know what everyone thought about the posting lull after each of our witches left us. They were definitely a pain, but boy did they keep things stirred up.

I have no problem with lulls, and I'd easily rather have constructive conversations rather than destructive ones, but it was nice to see nearly every forum lit up on a regular if not daily basis.

All we need is someone who has a lot of ideas to share, but can play nice with the kiddies too. Or does posting-mania go hand-in-hand with megalomania?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to help! [] But it does seem to me that sometimes this place can still get quite busy and if you think about it there are plenty of people posting and more lurking in one day. But there are also times you get hours on end with no posts. Perhaps we are suffering, if that's the right word from the fact that there simply haven't been that many newbies in recent years. On the other hand, as I said in another thread, there is still plenty to keep me amused here and I'm sure if I wasn't I wouldn't feel the urge to keep coming!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I attribute some of the lull to the people who found the witchy company detestable and took a sabbatical. Of course that doesn't account for all of it, though...

Basically I agree...Where can we find an active poster who wants to talk about Tolkien without acting like a rude dinkdink?

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arguing certainly has a way of bumping threads. Arguments in one thread often lead to arguing in another. Just a thought. []
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should have a designated "Witch of the Month" - someone charged with the task of bumping old threads and stirring up trouble to keep things bubbling along...

I nominate Hamfast for June.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You were supposed to respond with a thousand-word long post basically to the effect that I'm an idiot.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I agree, but if that's what you're into...

Glóin the Dark is an idiot. Glóin the Dark is an idiot. Glóin the Dark is an idiot. Glóin the Dark is an idiot.
Glóin the Dark is an idiot. Glóin the Dark is an idiot. Glóin the Dark is an idiot. Glóin the Dark is an idiot.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thats only 394 words pi. You cant do this to a Mathematician!
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Technically it could be argued that it's 396 words, Fangorn... "Is" and "are", even in their shortened version, are words too []

=======

On topic:

I think the question boils down to: Do we want civil but slow discussion or do we want 4chan? []

[ 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Details Details [] []
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the point in posting a thousand words when 394 would do. []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

I didnt understand what 4chan means. Is it what myself/pi/Gloin are doing to this thread?
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All we need is someone who has a lot of ideas to share, but can play nice with the kiddies too. Or does posting-mania go hand-in-hand with megalomania?
Can't find the post, but when discussing whether Sarah and wiki were one in the same, Grim made the argument that the similarities between the two maybe shouldn't be all that unexpected. That similar beliefs and education could reasonably result in similar posting styles and temperment. I think he may have a point, it's sort of like how a person with an aggressive personality is more likely to have a lot of speeding tickets. So to answer the hypothetical does posting-mania go hand-in-hand with megalomania?.. I think maybe it does... unfortunately [] Let's hope we find or develop an exception to the rule.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didnt understand what 4chan means.
4chan is a huge bulletin board where anyone can post anomymously and which isn't moderated... [] I'll let you imagine the result (or just see by yourself, Google is your friend [] )

[ 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure the new films will bring flocks of megalomaniacs to our fine city.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

I can't believe you guys counted all those words. I only got as far as the fifteenth "idiot" before I became too dizzy to go on.

And I'm reporting pi for being gratuitously offensive.

Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Pi has to go. He's a complete moron who would be outsmarted by a retarded lizard. Such a hateful bastard. I also hear he works as a male prostitute, something that is not acceptable on a family board.
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Hey, I'm here for you buddy.
So Glóin the Dark, is your pseudonym meant to be sort of a double meaning, depending on the pronunciation of Glóin?
"Glóin the Dark" and "glow in the dark"?
Maybe someone should start a thread about "Why I chose the Pseudonym..."
edit: Belly girth []
quote:
I also hear he works as a male prostitute, something that is not acceptable on a family board.
That's not what you said last night!

[ 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's not what you said last night!
I just did it to further my political career. []

Plus, while I ordered a male prostitute, we didn't have sex.

-

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ 06-10-2009, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: LyraLuthien Tinuviel ]

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

quote:
So Glóin the Dark, is your pseudonym meant to be sort of a double meaning, depending on the pronunciation of Glóin?
Eh? I only know of one way to pronounce it. (Although I'm not revealing what that way is.)

In fact, the name has septuple meaning, but people here have only caught on to two of them so far.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe we should have a designated "Witch of the Month" - someone charged with the task of bumping old threads and stirring up trouble to keep things bubbling along...

I nominate Hamfast for June.

I bumped a few old threads a little while ago.

I didn't stir up enough trouble, though. []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

You see, that's why the Great Varnafindë Scandal is all but forgotten.

Why don't you have another go. It doesn't really matter whether the threads are old or new. Just change your screen-name to Every Witch Way You Can, start a rash of discussions, and make sure to insult everyone who participates just enough that they come back for more.

Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SS is bumping old RPs in the dragon []

I think MT is a lot nicer now Sarah's gone, WGW. There were a lot more cons than pros to her.

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Calm After the Storm (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help