Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » A Good Old-Fashioned Witch Banning (Page 2)
Author Topic: A Good Old-Fashioned Witch Banning
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just a side note on IP bans. They are at best an inconvienience to the benned, and are a headache for anyone else who happens to be using the same provider. Granted, it's rare to have two people who don't know each other on the same provider, but this brings up issues with others in the same house that may participate on a site.

As far as the Good Wench ban, well.... I'm still not convinved the writer also wrote WiKi... []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as the Good Wench ban, well.... I'm still not convinved the writer also wrote WiKi...
Well, there's gotta be more than one borderline case on this planet.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt The Courageous
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5409
posted      Profile for Matt The Courageous   Author's Homepage   Email Matt The Courageous   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done WGW, nicely done.

So SnowDog, shall we call the good wench one of yours? I seem to recall being accused of being one of your socks a long time ago. [] []

From: pacific northwest | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aina Moja
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1962

posted      Profile for Aina Moja   Author's Homepage   Email Aina Moja   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To quote myself addressing Sarah from the Obama Presidency thread:

quote:
If you do not stop the rudeness, I am confident you will experience a great deal of hostility, and you will have a very unpleasant (and short-lived) experience on this board.
(Couldn't resist...) [] [] []

*Brace yourselves for the next one, folks...* []

[ 06-03-2009, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Aina Moja ]

From: The Back of A Camel | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mad Mat said: "So SnowDog, shall we call the good wench one of yours? I seem to recall being accused of being one of your socks a long time ago. [] []
You're one of those that got lost in the dryer. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW did this happen to affect threads? I notice in my "view recent posts", there's a huge gap between April and now, and I know I had a couple of posts in between them.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's the board creaking under the strain of so many posts. I can't rebuild much of the search index. Never fear. []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Wetwang said: "I predict a new citizen registering with the screen-name Gerald, the Relatively Mediocre Magician in about a months time!"
My money says Citizen #11231... []

[ 08-28-2009, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] You know, I wondered, but... yeah. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Shall one alone contest with us forever? Well, if someone does find the literary forums, happens to know a bit about Tolkien doesn't like the movies and makes a silly post in the Prancing Pony, does that make that person automatically Wiki? And if it does and if after been banned so many times that person just comes back under a different persona than what's the point in banning the person? We might just as well live with him or her! Or perhaps if a few more people posted up north that person might be ignored or bypassed! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if someone does find the literary forums, happens to know a bit about Tolkien doesn't like the movies and makes a silly post in the Prancing Pony, does that make that person automatically Wiki?
Not at all. But there are certain giveaways; posting total non sequiturs into literary threads and getting angry when people point this out is one of them. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mablung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11231
posted      Profile for Mablung   Email Mablung   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My money says Citizen #11231...
I find that whoever says that, doesn't have much of it. I leave sites where people gossip and troll about others behind their backs, rather than PM'ing straight to them when they have a problem.
Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a joke. Take the high road and prove him wrong.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.

This, however, is not the right way to go about it.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Mablung said: "I find that whoever says that, doesn't have much of it. I leave sites where people gossip and troll about others behind their backs, rather than PM'ing straight to them when they have a problem."
[] No problem here. Not even any gossip here. I was just doing a bit of late-night beer-infused speculating. Thought my post would get a rise out of the Wiki/Sarah haters, not you. Didn't think I poked you that hard with the stick. []

quote:
WGW said: "It's just a joke. Take the high road and prove him wrong."
Indeed it was. Yet now I have to wonder if I hit the nail on the head. []
Seriously, no hard feeling mate. Cheers. []

EDIT: Just took a look at TORC, my old Tolkien stomping grounds from 2000 - 2003 & came across a character that I think is our wiki. Was amusing reading how he is irritating folk in a veterans day thread. Fir-Bolg has a similar pattern. Amusing. Anyway, wasn't anything biggie for here so didn't post anew and raise this thread. []

[ 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Behavioural patterns and similarities in (mis-)spelling tend to be more conspicuous and revealing than most people realize.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tigranes:
quote:
Well, there's gotta be more than one borderline case on this planet.
Aina Moja:
quote:
*Brace yourselves for the next one, folks...* []
Looks like it’s that time again ...
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He's not the first, and with everyone it is always a matter of degree, anyway. Doesn't it make it easier to put up with since (s)he isn't the first?
Take it with a grain of salt. Or a block of it. []

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's not bad now. Strange views aside, insults and ad hominem attacks have not been a problem (comparing to prior incarnations).
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Not yet, though.

But I think I’m detecting a certain tendency to be impervious to arguments and to not accepting the viewpoint nor the standing in discussion of those who do not agree with his or her pronouncements, even when unwilling to shore them up with good sources.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I think he was practicing on Torc as Helm Hammerhand...m []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that too Snowy! Though for some reason this person doesn't go on the other One Ring!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The tone this individual brings to the boards is devastating, imho.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
Suffer not the Witch to live. []
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the devastating part yet.
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » A Good Old-Fashioned Witch Banning (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help