Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Minas Tirith's 8th Anniversary ! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Minas Tirith's 8th Anniversary !
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Thanks for jogging my rusted memory! May 21 - 25 is the anniversary, so get an oldbie to check in just for the heck of it. []

MinasTirith.com has been registered since April 26, 2000, and in large part to the generosity of its citizens, it's paid up until 2011! Thank you for all your support through the years.

UBB.classic continues to grow long in the tooth, as do we all. Automated email spammers never stop registering 25 bogus citizens each day, not realizing that they are not auto-approved and wasting their time. The security and features on an automated avatar solution that meets my standards continues to elude me.

Yet, there is still a charm to the place. What is does, it still does well. Every month brings us one or two legitimate new citizen registrations, and the reason they come is the same reason I keep Minas Tirith alive. Tolkien's work has brought me much joy, and having a special place to read and talk about it is something I can't imagine not having around.

People may come and go. Hollywood may do its business. [] But we'll be here to mark the time. In a few years, when you re-read The Fellowship in one night and cry at the end like you did the first time, stop in and tell us about it. Our city will still stand.

5th Anniversary thread
4th Anniversary thread
3rd Anniversary thread

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And a happy Birthday it is! Like I said on the Pony thread, I remember finding this place on an Alta Vista search in May 2000, and the board was here but all the forums were blank. I tried registering then but a page error came up. So I put the site in my favorites on my work computer. and never checked in again until August.

Love the look and feel of this place, and hopefully any update will keep it.
Thanks for all the years of work in making Minas Tirith a place for us to enjoy!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, MT.

Hard to believe I've been here for nearly six years.

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Hurray! Hurray! Many Happy Returns!" they shouted, and they hammered joyously on the tables. WGW was doing splendidly. This was the sort of stuff they liked: short and obvious.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There may be a small birthday present on its way to MT. After all, we want to make sure it's still around in 2012. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Athene! I think I might give a present myself. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, MT!

It's been a place for discussing Tolkien, for expanding on those stories he didn't have the time to tell [] , and for meeting people who also like doing those same things.

MT has become a large part of my life! []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You do realise you would have served less time for a manslaughter conviction []
Anyway, good luck on your possible escape in 2011 []

E: Er, make that the end of 2012 then! []

[ 05-22-2008, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You do realise you would have served less time for a manslaughter conviction
[] Best. Comment. Ever.
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, MT! [] Sorry I missed you in the beginning. I clearly was too busy on a different LOTR web site, rather than this one.
But, here I am now, for better or for worse. []

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, WGW for all you've done (and continue to do) to keep this site going. Happy birthday, MT!!

Wow -- and I'm approaching my seventh anniversary, this December. I remember when I was a newbie . . .

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt The Courageous
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5409
posted      Profile for Matt The Courageous   Author's Homepage   Email Matt The Courageous   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Two years for me. I'm a newb and admit it openly.
Thanks WGW

Hey now Bom, compared to who? Snow?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Long may truth prevail."
"Peace to the faithful."
"Fear no darkness!"
"Fight the good fight!"
"for even a fool if he is silent, men will think him wise"
Anger is easy, forgiveness is hard.

From: pacific northwest | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy, happy anniversary, Minas Tirith! Hurrah! [] []
[] []

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Congratulations to the Fair White City, its White Gold Wielding Steward (and his heirs!), and its citizens!!

Too bad there ain't even many tree-digiters around here anymore! []

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Too bad there ain't even many tree-digiters around here anymore!
Pfft! [] They are wildly overrated...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, crazy...seriously though like I said in the 3rd anniversary Thread MT helped me grow in alot of ways and I owe a good part of where I am today to the critical anaylsis/research skills I developed here (at an early age) discussing and reading about Tolkien. This type of immersive academic exercise really, I think, laid the ground-work my excelling as a prospective PhD.

[ 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... Fingolfin of the Noldor... As I live and breathe!

Over three and a half years since yer last post. I don't blame you for dropping off the face of the city. Avatars were slowly driving me nuts at the time too, and we both spent way too much time dealing with them.

Good to see you're doing well, O Captain! My Captain! Drop me a line if you want me to remind you of your login information to fingolfin.minastirith.com (in case you feel the urge to tweak it).

Edit: Oh, and send me your current email address so I can re-setup your email at fingolfin@minastirith.com just for the heck of it.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fabulous place - well done WGW.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Many happy returns of the day, MT and WGW!

[ 05-25-2008, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, WGW. This site is important to a lot of people. It's well-appreciated.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a few days late, but happy birthday, Minas Tirith! I realise I've been posting here now (intermittently) for very nearly a third of my life.

Anyhow, a fine city. May it stand until the King returns!

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nénar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6884
posted      Profile for Nénar   Email Nénar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, MT. [] I'm a very, very new member, but I have been reading this site regularly for about five years now. There have been some great threads that I've learned a lot from. Wonderful, wonderful place.
From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I realize I've been posting here now (intermittently) for very nearly a third of my life.
That's a big way of looking at it. I've been here a fair bit over a third of my life! []

And like you, Fingolfin (great to see you here!), I do attribute a lot of my growth in my younger years to my involvement on this site, though moreso in world/cultural awareness and knowledge rather than research and analysis.

Happy anniversary, Minas Tirith. Thanks, as ever, WGW! []

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Minas Tirith's 8th Anniversary ! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help