Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Convert to New Forum Software (Page 3)
Author Topic: Convert to New Forum Software
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not a fan of many changes either [] I trust WGW, though.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by what the new forum currently looks like, I think WGW is making it recognizable []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me. []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance of a bi-monthly update Boss? []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have been saddled with actual work at my work, so working all day on my site has become a luxury. []

I was setting my sights on getting it done by the 10th anniversary, so the pressure is off for now. As we get closer to the date, I'll have to step it up and get determined.

I could pretty much convert today if I had a solution to the PM conversion problem and the multi question poll conversion problem. Other issues can be sorted out later.

I have a grand plan for the PM conversion issue, which involves basically me re-writing their system in favor of my own. There is a lot of work to do, which is why I am stuck here. It is so complicated, I fear if I start and then have to stop for a week, I'll forget critical sections or leave gaping holes.

My next step is to get organized for this change. Plan out what needs to be done, what files are affected, and how best to proceed.

I have federal jury duty next week, and I don't know how long I might be there. Hopefully, just a day. When I get back, I will be catching up with my work work, but I'll try to get to the planning next week.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers for the update Boss [] []
It's best to make sure everything is working just how you'd like it even if that means it's going to take a bit longer than you'd like rather than move everything into the new forum too early and then have to patch things up with us lot posting at the same time []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*waves flag of support and gratfulness*

Take your time, Sir []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We know all this takes work, and time spent doing this is time spent away from doing work at work or with family at home. No hurries, no worries mate. Just give us a week's warning before you're ready to go live on the new site. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm very slow and not snooping on the forums as much as I used to. Could be that suggestions aren't even needed anymore. But, I had time and I wanted to try it out.

May attempt at the forum announcement was to try for something like the Horn of Gondor:
 -

The second, I figured that any self respecting hobbit would celebrate his birthday with a pint or two and the citizens here are usually not much different. But, I admit a beer mug is not the normal icon for birthdays. Regardless....
 -

I used the same 30x30 format of the original icons. I'd love a chance to try a few more later. Let me know what you think.

[ 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Lostfiniel ]

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I myself like the beermug birthday icon! []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I like both ideas. I've had a horn draft working for a long time, but never got it looking right. Need a proper original to tweak. Your example seems nice, but the colors make it invisible. (It should probably face to the right too!)
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can see what you mean. I had picked a gray as the main color for the horn because a white wouldn't allow to show any highlights. But, I could try white or changing to a much warmer color of light grey. Flipping the image is easy enough.

I was thinking for the ip address icon, maybe the eye of Sauron? I could try something out and see how it comes out anyway.

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

OK, here is what is up.

I have been increasingly realizing that the mountains I have to cross to get this done perfectly just aren’t going to get crossed. The crazy awkwardness of dealing with the UBB.classic software is pretty much the showstopper here, although dealing with VBulletin is nothing to sneeze at either.

So, my thought - damn it all and convert already. But I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts before I did anything rash.

First issue, private message conversations are not like threads in the new software. They are more like emails back and forth with wretched nested quotes. A year ago, this seemed like a deal-breaker, but now I’d rather have software that works (and threads I can search).

I am unsure how the conversion will handle PMs. Losing them is not an option for me, so don’t worry. But, I am willing to let them convert and look as bad as they must. Is this a deal-breaker for anyone (still [] ) here? Does anyone feel strongly that I shouldn’t compromise on this issue?

Second issue, multi-question polls do not exist in VBulletin. Hacks to get something like them have all been a bust. Since they don’t exist, they can’t be converted. We might have to face losing the polls, although the threads below them would be fine (some consolation). What might we lose by not converting the polls?

The hard question to face is do we burn another year with ancient software and find some guru to pay cash money I can’t afford to handle customization of the new software that is beyond me? Or do we put these losses in perspective and I can convert on some weekend coming up?

I really don’t have my mind set one way or the other, so I would value some input on the subject.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

I don't like losing things and cruddy nested quotes in PMs, but I'm thinking I would be willing to let it go in exchange for better software. Just give me time to archive the PMs I currently have []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just give me time to archive the PMs I currently have
I would also need time for that - and then have less need for conversion of PMs.

And I would have to wait for next week ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I'd say:
1. Yeah to converting now.
2. Yeah to starting PMs clean on the new board.
3. Yeah to no polls.

- You have done a great job at getting the place to look much like this place with the scheme. We can work the VBull out from there.

- Give ample warning, like starting today, that PMs need to be archived by X date which will be when new board goes live. Then, when the shift to the new board comes, allow access to this one for a time so those who didn't get a change was coming (they will be out there) will have a chance to get them.

- As for polls... who needs them? []
Again, allow those who care about existing polls to archive them before shutting this board down.

So... what would be the issue of just locking and archiving this board and starting fresh on the new board? Just curious.

[ 09-17-2010, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also say move - and agree with Snowdog as to procedure.

I would indeed want to save some (most, not all) PMS; I would, however agree with WGW that converting PMs, however messy (promise I won’t mind the mess), would be preferable to losing them. People can always throw them away if they want to.

As to polls, I understand the problem is only with multiquestion polls and that single question polls will convert. I’m tempted to ask, how many MQ polls are there? Because it strikes me that rather than have individual citizens save these haphazardly for themselves it would be much more useful to save these in e.g. text format on MT servers and link to them from their threads. But I’m a bit weary for the work this would give our steward ...

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I also think Snowdog's suggestions seem to be a good way of doing things. []

Mith -
quote:
how many MQ polls are there?
There would be all the MT awards, for one thing - and I also guess that there are generally more of the MQ polls than of the other kind.
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Well, some things to consider…

The PM issue is not so much a matter of losing what we have, but living with the new system in the future. Sure, I plan on leaving the old board up for a good long time, and users will have ample opportunity to save off the old style format of the old PMs. It’s living with nested quotes that is the sticky wicket.

I urge everyone to check out the new PM system (if they haven’t already). The ones with “Testeroonie” in the subject are a good example, although PMs with more text might be less annoying. I doubt it. []

As for the Poll issue, I wish there was a way we could be sure we were only losing mindless sexy Legolas polls and not anything more important to our history (such that it is). I am really loathe to delete anything needlessly. But with no solution, it seems more necessary than needless.

I am going to investigate exactly how much it would cost me to get someone to code the customizations we require. At least then I could make the decision on facts instead of assuming I can’t afford it.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

So should we be able to log in to the new board with our current logins, or do we need to re-register, or do we need to wait until you process us over, or what? As of today, my current login doesn't work on the new board.

I myself can live with the usual modern VBull Pm system. I've used it a lot on other boards already. As for the PM system here, I keep the emails which has the whole PM on it. Not sure if the VBull PM sends the whole message on email, but no biggie to me.... I save and delete them so as not to load down my account on sites.

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

It's been a while since I've used this, but... RTFP!

Seriously, there is test login info in the first post. []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Um.. yeah. Duh. It had been 3+ years though... []
Michael Martinez
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3602
posted      Profile for Michael Martinez   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Martinez   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What version of VBulletin is that test forum? I'm a bit confused by your inability to convert polls. VBulletin supports polls, though I don't know if they'll convert.

We've used VBulletin for years at SF-Fandom though I'm hardly the guy to ask about how it works. I've only recently started to dig into the technical details myself. We badly need to upgrade our VBulletin.

If you convert to the latest VBulletin version, make sure you turn on ALL the anti-spam features -- a community of Web forum spammers set up shop this year and they have been selling a LOT of copies of their forum registration software.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Author of Visualizing Middle-earth, Parma Endorion: Essays on Middle-earth, 3rd edition, and Understanding Middle-earth.

A new Middle-earth archive...
Middle-earth.Xenite.Org

From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

3.6.7 (for many reasons if I can guess the next question)

And it's not that VB doesn't do polls. It's that it doesn't handle multiple question polls.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I see the beta site is down. Change imminent?
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Convert to New Forum Software (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help