Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Convert to New Forum Software (Page 2)
Author Topic: Convert to New Forum Software
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
http://forums.applenova.com/ is a vBulletin forum that I frequent that has a wonderful design. You could use that for some inspiration on how to keep things simple. I personally like simple text buttons for different post functions.
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, things are going swimmingly. Just added Forum Jump to the top of each page. The "new PM" icon is working like a charm.

Even though I still have a list of 30 things to get done, I am starting to concentrate on the ones preventing me from pulling the switch and getting everyone moved over. The big ones are:

Display Names: vBulletin doesn't have them. How lame. If I don't have a solution in the new software, we'll all be using our User Names and the Display ones will be lost. And it's not just a matter of creating a custom field and using it for Display Name. There are a lot of integrated functions that use User Name that have to be converted. I am not looking forward to this one.

Multi-Question Polls: vBulletin doesn't have them. How lame. Again, if I don't have a solution before the convert, the poll data would be lost. And again, the change is not as simple as it sounds. Not only do I have to make structure in the database for this information, I have to change the threads to utilize this structure. I am not looking forward to this one.

Threaded Private Messages: vBulletin doesn't have them. How lame. If I don't have a solution before the convert, God knows how they're going to come over! And believe me, a conversation of 10 nested quotes is insane to read. So basically, I have to rewrite the entire PM system to mimic UBB's. I am not looking forward to this one.

So, it's going to be a while before we move to the new software. Not forever, but not next week.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding display names, the vBulletin board I post at allows admins to change a poster's name relatively easily, so even if we do end up starting out with our login names (which I'm not looking forward to, as mine's kind of embarrassing [] ), shouldn't you be able to change them to our current names?
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do YOU want to login with that big 'E' with the line over it?

Plus, it's a nice additional security feature, having your login be not public.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, and honestly it takes me like half a second to type É (alt-0201), so having to type it out manually wouldn't be such a big deal for me. []

But anyway, I'm just sayin', if you can't get it set up the way we have it now, not all is lost. []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you have a button for ` and ´ []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd like to have my log-in name back as my board name. I think its Bs that people can change their names al the time. They should be known for who they logged in as. Me, I'm Snowdog, not Snöwdog.I just can't get it back after an aborted attempt at some RP storytelling. Anyway, that's my opinion in the subject. I think its a minor thing really. The beta board looks good to me.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I would like to keep my new name, which just is the Quenya version of my login name, Barufiniel (which I still use in RPs where Quenya wouldn't be used).

Now that I've changed to Quenya, I'd rather not go back to Sindarin []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

My login name has nothing to do with LOTR and is just something I was using on another site because I'd lost the password to my original MT account. I'd rather not dredge it up.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can never go back to GafferHamgee again! [] []

[ 08-23-2009, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

The wide variety of opinion is the very reason why I have to do my best to keep things as they are (if it is at all possible). This is not a style decision. It's taking away choice that has been available from the start.

If all it takes is hard work, then there is no excuse. If it would shatter the current software, then we would have to live with less choice.

Even if we are stuck with only usernames (and the jury is still out), I can always change them manually. This would entail a lot of work for me, but we'd get by.

Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I log in here something like two or three times in a year, but would like to chime in...

If it turns out impossible to keep the login name and displayed name separate, maybe there could be a time after the move - say, three months - when people could request for a name change to one they really think they could use for both purposes? After that, one could get their username changed for some valid reason.

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Well, the user name / display name problem has been a sticky one, but I believe I have it licked.

At first I was going to find a way to add a display name field and stick it in everyplace user name was shown, but this was a suicidal amount of work.

It occurred to me that I could instead create a login name field and just use that on the login screens and keep everything else using the current user name field.

Well, the success of this plan depended on two things - the ability of the user to edit their own user name (as if it were the old display name), and the assurance that the new login name field would be just as unique as user name (no one else can have yours).

Part one was easy enough. Found a sweet mod that allows users to edit their own user name in the same way they edit their password. As a bonus, it keeps a history of user names that is visible when hovering over the poster's name in the threads (This will soon be in their profile as well, but one thing at a time [EDIT: It's in, but I may move it around]). It makes sure no one else is using that name and allows me to setup a delay between name changes (will be at three days to prevent abuse). It's beautiful.

Part two was turning into a nightmare though. Changing the login process is messier than it sounds, and adding a mandatory field that is unique per user is no picnic either. Then I stumbled across another mod that looked like it could solve nearly all my problems.

It allows users to login with either their user name OR their email address. It took a bit of dawning on me to prove this was a near-perfect solution. Email address is already setup to be unique per user. It's not quite as secure as a login name, but if you want to hide your email address, you have that option in your control panel. Things are kept simple with only user name and no display name, logins don't have to change even if you change your fancy user name, and as a side-benefit, it might help (force) some citizens to keep their email addresses up to date. I am quite satisfied.

What this means for the conversion is that login names will not be transferred, and the latest display name will become your new user name. If you don't like it, login with your email address and SHADDAP! []

Anyhoo, Test User's email is wgw@minastirith.com, so go change your user name and try the new login via email function.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, but I was just messing with beta vBull for my Black Company site and came across those two mods. Email addresses are user unique, and one can require it to be valid via the confirmation process. Was coming here to tip you on it, but it looks like we found this at the same time. []

And I best go change my name to what I want now before conversion.... []

[ 08-26-2009, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
login names will not be transferred, and the latest display name will become your new user name
Yesssss! [] This will make those of us who chose lame login names when we were newbies very happy.

*waits for Thingi to return with the sole purpose of telling us that we are still newbies*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This will make those of us who chose lame login names when we were newbies very happy.
I should know that, being the retarded husband of thelastElf []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
We agreed we weren't going to mention that.
[]
I was young and I needed the money.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that excuse so many times coming from you... []

[] []

Wait.
[]
What do we risk for highjacking a thread of WGW ? []

[ 08-27-2009, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A good spanking! []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Inc & Athene, why do I picture you both sitting on the same couch, each with a laptop? []
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

We're each typing one-handed because we're holding hands, too. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, I appreciate that you are sharing this with us as you go along. I have just been informed that another board I'm on, will have a total overhaul, making it at least as different as the new Minas Tirith will be, probably even more different - and that it's almost ready and that we'll have the new version up next Friday.

It feels a bit sudden. Here on MT we'll be far more prepared. []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I put in more design effort than most places have the time/patience for. I can agonize over the little details that add up over time and hurt the overall experience.

For example, ages ago I made clicking the message icon insert the smilie into the message. This prevents the need for two sections of images (message and smilie) like most places, saving space and keeping the look clean. Plus, it just makes sense, but the only drawback is that the smilies have to be the same as the message icons. Since we have the perfect amount of 70 to choose from, I think it works out great. Message boards are not as popular as they used to be, and I am no great traveller, but I have never seen any other site with this particular setup. There are many little things I do like that to make things as perfect as possible. Jeez, I should post my list of things I've crossed off on my to-do list.

Although, seeing the new software, I see now how raw parts of the current software look. It may have been the stuff back in the day, but the new software is way better, and will be even better with my changes. After this, I don't see the need to change software for at least another 10 years. []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope these changes won't make things too unrecognasable. In some ways, I find this place one of the most user-friendly sites that I know of. I'm not sure that I approve of too much of new-fangled changes, It might make things a bit different after all! I don't approve too much of different things. Changes are a bit hard to cope with at my time of life! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Convert to New Forum Software (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help