Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Convert to New Forum Software (Page 1)
Author Topic: Convert to New Forum Software
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the move to the new host is over, I can settle my sights on converting from UBB classic to something DB-based.

I have been leaning toward myBB , but I am still open to suggestions.

I will have to work out the conversion plan once I settle on the software, but just know that I will make sure 99% of the way things work now will be the same or better with the new software. I hope to make it seem like an upgrade rather than a big change. PMs will work the same (or better with no limits) - Smileys, etc will all work the same - so don't even worry about that.

Edit: It's vBulletin and here's the work in progress... http://www.minastirith.com/forum/index.php

For now, you can login with this:

Username: "Test User" (with a space)
- OR -
Email: wgw@minastirith.com

Password: "password"

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you can convert from UBB Classic to this myBB and keep things as seamless as possible then I say go for it. The one concern I would have is what kind of support does myBB have, and I have to wonder how easy myBB is to hack (both kinds.... hack for mods & malicious hacking)? I know PHPBB was pretty easy to maliciously hack for some, as repeated hijackings pretty much destroyed the old Dunedain BB. Free software, being free, doesn't usually have all the latest security precautions or support in place. Just something to look into before leaping.

[ 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it's vBulletin. The security concerns of open source were just too great.

TEST: http://www.minastirith.com/forum/index.php

Let's see how long it takes me to whip this into shape. It doesn't seem like it, but there are a lot of my customizations in this old UUB.classic code. Almost all of them are mandatory IMO for any new software we switch to.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't look behind the scenes, of course, so I can't see what still needs to be done or tweaked. But it looks promising.

One visible bug: On the homepage list of fora, the text indicating time and poster of last post (in the only active forum at the moment) continues beyond the cell it is supposed to be in, and even beyond the right hand border of the table. This may just be the fault of my IE 8.0.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I post on another vBulletin board that hosts a very large community and doesn't seem to have any major issues (that I know of). I think you made a good choice. I look forward to the upgrade. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I've been working on the new forum software configuration, and it's to the point where I can let people poke around in there.

Username: "Test User" (with a space)
Password: "password"

If you want to post problems here, just be aware that there is a lot left to do. If it's some major thing like the colors are screwed up, I probably already know about it. If it's some minor detail that you think I may not have noticed, by all means, let me know.

Behave. []

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you will rearrange the layout so, that the names and avatars come back in the left side column, cause that looks much better. Otherwise, I've seen no problems (yet).

~ Ear.

[ 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed one 'dodgy' point: in the thread view, the page numbers above the list of posts are too close together, below the list of posts they are too far apart.

Otherwise, I'm with Ear. []

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
V-Bull is usually pretty solid. The names and avatars on the right or left is a minor thing really. Here its on the left, & on Ringbearer its on the right. It looks fine either way. Still, if you can make so it looks as close as this, I think it will be best received. Good work so far!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The "Minas Monkey" skin works just fine Boss [] []
Not sure what the "Thread Rating" star system is all about though and what it will add []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad there's no possibility (yet) to report posts (or whole threads), 'cause otherwise I would report this thread because of spamming by a certain one digit citizen [] []

~ Ear.

[ 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried PMing him? []
quote:
The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 2 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.
I hope this limit will be changed later - earlier this week I edited a three year old RP discussion post to change an image source which wasn't working any more ...
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

The edit time limit will be changed, and I'm not sure if I should just pull out the thread rating stuff.
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for NO edit limit, personally. For the broken link/picture reason.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Yes, I meant changed to the way it is here. Never fear.

Edit: Oh, added a few more styles. May bring a smile to an oldbie or two.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, I've sent you a PM "over there" to see how the new system displays them.

I guess that you may want to disable parts of the Edit Avatar function in the control panels? I tried to pick one that I hadn't seen in use ...

Edit:
It seems that the post smiley for a thread in a list of threads is always the smiley of the first post, not of the newest post. That's different from here.

If the standard is always to display the signature, I should either change that standard for my account or shorten my signature.
quote:
The names and avatars on the right or left is a minor thing really. Here its on the left, & on Ringbearer its on the right. It looks fine either way.
But on the new system it isn't either on the left or on the right, but on the top, almost like an extra post. I agree with Ear that getting it back on the side would be better.

[ 07-19-2009, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"You [are human]. And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth." (C.S. Lewis in "Prince Caspian")

Bearer of the Quenya Seal of Approval (awarded by Aikanáro).
Recipient of Braeden's unofficial Paronomastic Award.
Avatar artwork by Henning Janssen

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

quote:
It seems that the post smiley for a thread in a list of threads is always the smiley of the first post, not of the newest post. That's different from here.
I'll take a look at the message icon issue. Good eye!
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Editing your message currently shows up that you have Edited. Seems to be absent in the new software. Dont know whether it is good or bad.

Edit:
Strange. First time I edited.. nothing showed. Second time, it showed up as edited!!

[ 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

There is a small grace period in which you can edit your post with no EDIT message appearing.
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Well, things are moving along. I am stuck on a biggie at the moment.

The current behavior of the post icons doubling as smilies is proving difficult to duplicate within the vBulletin way of doing things. Once that is done, I'll get back to cosmetic changes again.

And the thread pages have the poster information on the left finally, but there are tons of things to do before it looks and acts right.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your hard work, WGW. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
And the thread pages have the poster information on the left finally, but there are tons of things to do before it looks and acts right.
It looks nice, at least - you've done a great job so far []

And I guess that the new PM system is something we'll just have to get used to. I prefer the system we've got now, where a PM is bounced back and forth, adding new posts like in an ordinary thread, rather than the new system where the PM is handled more like an email (and each new instance of it counts towards the total number). But the new has some good new features too, and I assume that it doesn't give any other option.

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Things are moving along nicely, but I could use a hand in the creative suggestion dept.

The following images are going to have to be replaced. Sooner or later I'll get around to doing it, but I'd rather it was sooner than later. There are many more, but this will get you started.

- Statistics on main page (I'd like to call it something else as well)
 - Birthday on main page.
 - Calendar event on main page.
 - Open/Close section icon.
 - Forum announcement icon (as seen currently in LotR).
 - Sort direction indicator.

I'd like something Tolkien-related if at all possible. If not, then something that doesn't stick out as blatantly not Tolkien.

For example, since the beginning, I've had this  - as the icon for reporting posts. Since blade turning blue is the universal sign for "Orcs are near" in Middle-earth, it's perfect. Weird how in my memory no one has ever talked about it though. I wonder how many citizens out there don't get the meaning of that icon.

An example of a poor icon is my current placeholder for IP address in the posts.  - HAL doesn't belong here, but I don't know what would be a proper replacement. I may end up just using the word IP for the link instead of the image.

Anyhoo, see what you can come up with. Ideas are good, but icons are better.

For instance, I thought a representation of the Party Tree would be a good replacement for the birthday cake icon above, but I have not even begun to look for a suitable tree icon to modify.

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

A few more in desperate need of replacement are:

- This one really sticks in my craw. Maybe changing to a red dot wouldn't be so bad.

- Uh, this is the lame icon for quote.

-  - This is what they use for the multiquote toggle.

- And this is what they use for Quick Reply ?!?

-  - These old and new post indicators bug me too.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
RE: forum annoucement, is there anything that could be done with this?

-

It's not exactly the Horn of Gondor, but it's close 'nough. I was thinking, turn it round, transparent the background, make it a little smaller?

E: Test alternatives:

-

-

-

E2: Is there any way we can use these:

-

-

[ 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Convert to New Forum Software (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help