Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Buyout offers...for sheer curiosity (Page 2)
Author Topic: Buyout offers...for sheer curiosity
Hyarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3029
posted      Profile for Hyarion   Author's Homepage   Email Hyarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are too many variables to be considered before being able to calculate a final price.

What would the person be using the site for? e.g. would the forums stay just with some ads, would the forums stay with someone else as an admin, would a new Tolkien site be made, would the site just be parked for advertising, created into an adult website, etc.

If I were in WGW's place I think I would be selling for much less than $50,000. Imagine MT getting $10,000 for simply using minastirith.net instead of .com, a lot could be done with that money, or even less. It would also depend on when the change would happen such as tomorrow or next year when everyone would already be using minastirith.net and no visitors would be lost.

Obviously this won't happen, but just thought I'd give my two cents.

Thorin: I think I remember that thread as well, I'll look around for it.

From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Hyarion, I'd sell for considerably less than 50K. The only value MT has as currently constituted is emotional, at least as seen from afar. Does WGW use it as a part of his resume? A working model for what he can do for for other companies? I have no way of knowing but certainly if true, those things would represent value. No doubt the site is a great source of pride for our Steward but it certainly isn't fattening the education funds for the little Stewards-in-Waiting on it's own. I suppose the boss has a self inflicted obligation to us shmucks but really the obligations to his family are much greater. If it were me I'd take 10-15K, do backflips all the way to the bank and move on to my next world wide challenge.

Keep in mind I say this without any knowledge of WGW's financial standing or his future plans for MT (advertising etc). More insight into those two factors could raise the selling price considerably. Another major factor in MT's value is whether or not all the Keo pics are included in the sale, if so I may want to make an offer myself!! []

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Minas Tirith is worth $2044 according to this "website outlook" thingy.

Interestingly, the Tolkien Estate site is only worth $1065. []

How does this thing work? Estimated traffic?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not hard to see we're a little fish in a big ocean. (Cue Albert Brooks shouting "Nemo!")
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, it's not hard to see we're a little fish in a big ocean. (Cue Albert Brooks shouting "Nemo!")
Now you've definitely dug your own grave, oh great Steward: 'nemo' is Latin for 'nobody' []

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's a cool site Thorin. It says that digg.com is worth 14.25 Million, but I know that there were people offering WAY higher than that....

cuteoverload.com is worth 11,1901.70 lol and icanhascheezburger.com is worth 1.16 Million. Priorities are so screwed.

This place better not sell!

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Buyout offers...for sheer curiosity (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help