Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Buyout offers...for sheer curiosity (Page 1)
Author Topic: Buyout offers...for sheer curiosity
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got this message Wednesday.
quote:
Hello,
I'm interested in creating a lotr network, and saw your site. The site isn't monetized so I was wondering if you're interested to sell it.

Best Regards,
Pant

My reply was of course...
quote:
Monetized? What is that, the latest paradigm shift in think-speak?

It would take a boat-load of cash to get me to sell, and people with gmail accounts usually don't have that kind of dough.

Sorry.

I never seem to be able to pass up making a smart-arse crack. Just my burden I guess... []

Anyway, his reply was...
quote:
Hey again,
Let me know the price, I'm reputable member on webmaster's community.

Best Regards,
Pant

OK, so we have poor english, lame attempts at seeming professional, and a one-word name seemingly picked from the dictionary at random. (What's his wife's name - Gaucho?) Obviously someone is looking for attention.

But what if Robert Redford walked in and offered me 1 million dollars to sleep with Minas Tirith? I hope you all will not be offended that I would take it faster than I could pee myself. The lifestyle of my family is worth more than this loon sanctuary. Mandos can go somewhere else and be crazy.

Now we come to the great debate. What is the least amount of money you yourselves would take if you were in my position? $25,000? $10,000? $2,000? Maybe PJ will call and need my domain to put up his own site trashing New Line. It would be my great pleasure to bend him over a barrel (financially of course).

Thoughts?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it depends on the value you put on it -- and how to "monetize" it. (What a stupid term...)

Anyhoo, if I were in your shoes, I'd sell it if someone proposed a legitimate offer of 1 million bucks. At least. You figure, after taxes, 5 or 10 grand isn't worth crap, especially if you wanted to use that money as a nest egg (or your kid's college fund).

Besides, selling it will probably alert the Tolkien Estate Constabulary, who could sue you for profiting off someone else's intellectual property.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, take the mill and enjoy peeing yourself, then start a mirror board called Minas Anor [] .

I'd take $50K myself. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree with Silmahtar. It depends upon how you value it. I've been dealing with this subject a lot recently. We've been doing a lot of mergers & acquisitions and I've been doing budgeting. It is interesting how different valuations are of the same item, depending upon who you ask.

But if I were in your shoes it would probably take a significant sum of money, simply because all of the enjoyment I've gotten from MT over the years.

Edit: WGW, a long time ago you found a Tolkien forum for sale on ebay and told us about it. I've been trying to find that old post but haven't had any luck. Do you remember how much that guy ended up getting?

[ 01-12-2007, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this loon sanctuary.
Wetwang is going to resent the implication. []

I would also have $50K as my limit...

[ 01-12-2007, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have £50k, which is quite a bit more. []

Or just a crate of Wadworths 6X and a Space Hopper would probably do it.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm currently a poor student, would you be insulted if I asked for a full tank of fuel, my uni books and a few lunches?
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like Snöwdog's idea. Sell it, make 50k. Then open Minas Anor. And we will all come there, to make you happy and miserable.
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And harass you to copy over all our avatars from MT.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The style of those letters look strangely familiar... []

The first name that came to mind starts with a "W", ends with an "r" and... [] has an "of" in the middle. []

Least amount? Probably around 100K AUD* - it would be put to good use. []

*currently 77,920.41 USD

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first name that came to mind starts with a "W", ends with an "r" and... has an "of" in the middle.
Wofr?
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Witch King of Angmar, presumably.

But I disagree. WiKi can be quite eloquent when he wants to be.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

And I don't think WiKi has enough self-deprecating humour to style himself "Pant".

Unless that actually is his name, in which case I apologise, and I'm sorry.
[]

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's short for something? I think my mom knows an Indian fellow whose rather long name starts with "Pant"...

It would be quite sinister if Wiki was trying to buy up MT []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Well, I'm reading Raymond Feist at the moment, and I think it's Pant short for Pantathian High Priest. []

In which case it is WiKi, only instead of burning hatred of humans he has a burning hatred of anyone who thinks the films are less than execrable. []

Maybe that's why he has never posted a picture of himself - he is scaly! []

[ 01-12-2007, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I disagree. WiKi can be quite eloquent when he wants to be.
I said style for a reason... Yet, two hours later, I can't remember what the reason was. []

What if "Pant" is short for "Pantalaimon", meaning whoever wrote the letter is a dæmon speaking for somebody who considers themselves to be like Lyra Belacqua...?

Almost like a sockpuppet, but less needy. []

[ 01-12-2007, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it isn't a lawyer working for what-SiZ-name trying to get you to express interest in selling the domain name in order to show that you don't have a bona fide interest in it?
When I read up on the 'Shire mail' case and related links I seem to have read of similar ruses being used in the game of SLAP (Shooting Law At the 'Philes - rather than at the Press, in this case). Don't have a link at hand at the moment, I'm afraid.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Miserable trickster! Let me get my hands on you! Now I see your mind. You will take Minas Tirith to Sauron and sell us all. You have only waited your chance to leave us in the lurch. Curse you and all White Gold Wielders to death and darkness!
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We will all be slaves under a new and cruel master! []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lyra Belacqua
Hey!!

Wait... who?

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

posted      Profile for Aermîr Goldenflower   Author's Homepage   Email Aermîr Goldenflower   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, in terms of the money, I'd agree with everyone who said at least 50k, though you should probably see if you can get more.

Though, I must say, the thought of you selling MT to some guy who is as of now only known as 'Pant' (geez, that's a weird name to go by... [] ) kinda makes me really sad. Unless of course, you take Fangorn's idea.... [] []

From: Moving from Point A to Point B. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you aren't named after Lyra from the His Dark Materials trilogy, Lyra? I always assumed you were!
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're not the only one, Ney.
SSA criticized me for mixing a Dark Materials name with a Silmarillion name in my first week here.

But, as I've said a few other times, my name comes from a completely different trilogy, mixed with Tolkien's.
My favorite author of all, Patricia McKillip, wrote the Riddle of the Star Bearer trilogy, and there was a character named Lyraluthuin. See, just two letters off. I combined that name with Luthien Tinuviel to get my SN.

I've actually never read His Dark Materials.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

Just so you (and others) know, I wasn't in any way supposing you were the puppetmaster, Lyra. That's why I made the distinction by adding the surname. I knew you didn't name yourself after the HDM character. [] Just like I knew you'd quote it. []

[ 01-14-2007, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

quote:
Basic description of Lyra is as follows:

dark blonde
blue eyes
English
thin of stature
short for her age
12 years old

Wikipedia is such a helpful thing.
Actually, this is pretty close, though it's two dozen years out of date, my eyes are more green than blue most of the time, and the pic at Wikipedia shows a curly-haired girl, where mine's quite straight.

*is coming dangerously close to hijacking the Steward's thread...

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Buyout offers...for sheer curiosity (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help