Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 4)
Author Topic: Delete Post Rights Removed
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it here before:
Lyra does not generally wear lycra.
[]

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit late in asking this, but Herendil, Eluchil, or anyone else: did you also save the thread The Endless Stair? I was interested in some of the ideas there.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested to know that as well. When things got nasty, I wanted to save the thread. Unfortunately, I was not at my own computer, without stick, disk, or whatever. When I got back home, it was too late ... []
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin, I'm sorry, I didn't ...
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, any indication if/when deletetion rights will be restored?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Good idea! Sorta'. Just can't make any big mistakes now. Heh heh. Baaaaaaadddd times.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.'
- Edmund Burke

From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lord Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't come around to post much anymore, but I do want to say a little about this change. First, I do understand why you did this, WGW, as losing good threads because someone gets annoyed is quite undesirable.

That said, I regularly remake the Face Behind the Pseudonym thread (every 4-5 months when it reaches 30-40+ posts). When I do this, I save a copy to put in the archive I keep, then I delete the old thread and post a new one. I don't want to have to be a bother and send you a PM every time I remake a thread. If you don't mind the space it takes up, I can stop remaking it and allow it to grow and grow. I personally don't really like this idea, as I like to keep it a managable size.

Now, I don't want to have special priviledges and to be allowed to delete my own posts when no one else can, but I would like to see a way to remake a thread that gets too long.

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I will ever restore the rights. It would have to be proven that delete rights are too hard to live without. Let's just try it out and see how things go.

I usually don't mind doing this kind of maintenance by hand, so don't hesitate to let me know if you want something removed.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boss- When we want to delete a thread, do you want us to PM you, post a link in this thread or post a link in this thread?

At any rate... this old Unexpected Party can be deleted whenever you get the chance. []

[ 09-11-2006, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When we want to delete a thread, do you want us to PM you, post a link in this thread or post a link in this thread?
Or do we report the first post?
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter to me.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The White Gold Wielder: "I had actually been crafting a lengthy response over the past couple days to one of the topics deleted today, and I am pretty steamed about all the time wasted. I can easily imagine how steamed those people are who had already spent the time to post.
Deleting literary topics is like spitting in my face. Don't do it again"

That is exactly what I felt after you-all-know-who deleted the whole thread "O Elbereth Gilthoniel " less than an hour after I posted a quote from "the Reader's Companion" which proved him wrong.

There was no issue of bickering in the thread- he just didn't like to be wrong. []

After that, I have decided to quit and never return here. After all, some posts require time and effort and what is the point of loosing your time over something that nobody will ever read?

I am glad, the White Gold Wielder, that you finally removed this much misused option to delete threads.

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Does this mean you're not leaving us forever?
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So much for the "it's no big thing" theory.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ulaire,

I have not been frequenting this website lately, but when I did I hardly remember a literary thread being deleted. If it has happened just the one time with you, chances are it was an unusual specimen.

Besides, if words were not lost and buried then how would the blase bundle of recondite information metamorphosize into rustic wisdom? In MT's short history, it has already become a trove of threads, buried in the most unlikely of places, nuggets of wisdom waiting to be mined, in some cases lost forever except in the minds of few who read and remembered.

How would we treasure the wise words if they were to disappear at a moment's notice? Think not that nobody will read them, but rather that more will eagerly read a post so that if it were to be deleted they could still cherish the wisdom they had imbibed.

There is much knowledge buried in the drivel of the Pony, where threads get deleted and archived by the dozen. Take WT for example, so many posts of his that I've read in the Pony had abundant wit and information. Many probably deleted now never to be read again. All forgotten? I don't think so.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, for how could anyone forget WT's wit and wisdom nuggets? []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, I think I will stay now, yes. After all, I had problems only with you-know-who, not with the forum itself. One bad sheep...

Lugburz, It seems that recently several threads have been deleted, not only the one I have posted in and (correct me if I am wrong) by the one and the same citizen. No other forum I know leaves to participants the option to delete threads - even those they started themselves.

I strongly disagree that the one who has started a thread has any right to delete it (unless he is the only one who posted in it). It is the intellectual property of everyone who posted there.

Imagine a very plausible hypothetical situation:

One user, let us call her "Leggygurl" for fun, opens a thread in the Books forum:
" Why Arven shone when Frodo first saw her?"

In the next post someone will inevitably tell "Leggygurl" (more or less nicely - depending on the poster) that
1. It must be "Arwen", not "Arven"
2. this is not for the Books forum as Arwen never shone in the book, only in the movie.
3. That Frodo was halfway in the Spirit world so he would see Calaquendi Elves shining.
4. that Arwen had no call to shine in the Spirit world, as only Calaquendi elves shine.
etc.

Then someone else will come to question whether only re-incarnated Elves live in both worlds and shine or all the Calaquendi, then more serious people will come to discuss the nature of the elven fear, re-incarnation etc. More and more people - citing Arthabeth, Morgoth's ring and what's not. So such a silly thread could easily develop into one of the best literary threads here.

And imagine, in a week our "Leggygurl" returns, sees the second (perhaps not too nice to her) post and BOOM deletes the whole thread.

Would you like it?

[ 09-20-2006, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Ulairë Gordis ]

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way Ringbearer.org has it set up. You casn delete a thread you started if there are no replies. Once a reply is posted the delete option goes away on the starting post. The delete function is only active on the last post of a thread.

That said, not having a delete function is no big deal really. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed... WGW, is there no way to disable the delete function for the first post, but leave it intact for subsequent posts? For instance the other day my browser was acting up, and I hit the post reply button twice, thinking it had ignored me the first time, but it was just being ornery for a minute, resulting in a doublt posting...which I couldn't delete. [] Leaving the delete on for reply posts would be about the same anyhow, since anyone can just edit/delete a single post anyhow, as has been mentioned here.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

The software doesn't come stock that way. It would have to be customized.

The current software has served us well over the years, but has its limitations. I would switch to something with better options if I could get the same look and feel without re-writing marathon sessions. Meh.

Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry yourself Boss, I love the aesthetic and wouldn't change it for any number of better options. Unless they invent a "click on this citizen's avatar and be teleported to their location!" option. Then I'll have to reconsider. And Wetty will have to post with clothes on.
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Wetty will have to post with clothes on.
*Mr Wang stands tall, his pants held aloft*
Never! []
I have only five words for you:
From my cold, dead hands! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I hadn't even noticed!

But, I belong to a message board that actually allows you ten minutes to edit, and then the edit feature is disabled! It has been huge in making people think more carefully about what they post. And no one can delete their posts, you have to ask a moderator.

And for the disruptives, this too shall pass. As one of the more senior citizens here, I appreciate the work of WGW, the effort and know better than to do anything that might incur his wrath. Some people just don't know how to be polite.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would not like it, Ulaire. But I was suggesting that leaving the site in response to a few such deletions is probably not necessary, as there is beauty in "intellectual property" getting lost and buried. If this were going to happen on a regular basis then it would be quite intolerable, but it would also mean that you would post only in threads where you know your post will be valued. It would quite quickly encourage good threads and discourage others.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you could delete this old UP whenever you get the chance WGW. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help