Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 3)
Author Topic: Delete Post Rights Removed
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I have noticed that many literary posters post "in the moment" - they only post in "active" threads, and they may post something new and different and forget their previous threads and posts in only a couple of days. I find this approach amateurish.

That's the way I generally post. If they don't spend much time doing research, then there is no real damage done.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad this function(non-deletion) wasn't around when you went on a deleting spree, eh Tuor?
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Up until now, this is pretty much how WGW has run this board. It's survived fairly well.
Once again I'll have to say that you make a poor analysis of the situation you're presented with, but I'm not surprised at all...
The boards are not at all anarchic, because "peer pressure" (i.e. "respected posters" and "sheer numbers") has always, until now, succeeded in making certain rules respected. And, when someone crossed the line anyway, regardless of the other posters warnings, WGW did his policing job.

That's not anarchy at all, that's a decent society, where you don't need the cops (or your lawyer) to settle every petty dispute. []

quote:
If they don't spend much time doing research, then there is no real damage done.
And again, that's wrong!

It's not because no time/research has been put into a post that the post itself doesn't bring a lot to the discussion. I remember seraching a few threads for a 2 lines post because the way it was formulated in itself made it worth of being noted. Most of the "famous quotes" are short ones, thus posts made "on the moment" may be of value. But like some people's misuse/misunderstanding of famous quotes (because they don't know what those quotes actually refer to) shows us, if those "small posts" cannot be put back into their context they may suddenly be worth much less...

Once again, you only look at the situation from one POV, yours, caring only about what you do/like, but this is a bulletin board, a community. A community based around exchange of points of view. Each time you, as a thread starter, delete a thread, deleting the contributions of other posters in the process, you rob the whole community of part of its substance, parts that you have not contributed yourself and on which you have absolutely no right. In short, you act like a petty dictator.
Have you ever wondered why WGW was so reluctant to get rid of threads, why he took great care not to delete things which may hold value (even if only for their "historical" nature)? I guess you never did... []

=====

[] @ Popaul's comment ( [] )

[ 09-02-2006, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that on this point I side solidly with Nash.

Going back a bit further, I wholehartedly second Maia Olorin's advice. I'm used to posting on boards where one can't delete one's post. I'll not miss it very much here. But then, I don't frequent the Inns, it may be different for users there.

On the other hand, I do certainly miss the auto-quote button. Its absence here is an almost constant irritant to me. It means that if I want to react to posts by quote-ing from them effectively, efficiently and clearly in the way that I do on other boards, it would take me at least thrice the time! I feel it actually hampers consistent discussion. And there are certain things that are nearly impossible to quote manually, or only by taking a 1000-mile detour.

The main opposition here to an automatic editable quote function, working in the way that Olorin, Silmahtar and Varnafinde have correctly described, appears to be based on its being open to 'uncontrolled lazy (ab)use'. While I appreciate that objection, I think that it is made too much of. I have seen such lazy use in fora that are not used seriously, and are not intended to be used seriously, but are used almost as an alternative to chatting, MSN or SMS. I have found lazy use extremely rare in fora that are used and intended as the literary fora are here.

I think that the risk of 'lazy use' of an autoquote is overstated and greatly outweighed by its usefulness.

This is in fact the reverse situation from that applying to the ability to delete, where in my opinion its openness to abuse and the results of such abuse outweigh its usefulness.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add a final word (unless someone posts something I feel necessary to react to), something which Tuor's constant comeback "re-post it!" made me think about:

Each time someone deletes a thread, without any consideration for the people who've posted in it, he does some bad to the forums themselves. Why? Because each time you take even 5 minutes of your time to write a post (and let's face it a lit post --or a post in one of the "political" threads in the Pony-- usually takes much more than that to write) only to find out on the next day that it has disappeared along with the whole thread, it makes you less and less willing to put any "work" into your posts. Why bother if they can disappear in a whiff? Why bother posting at all?

[ 09-02-2006, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always hate it when a thread disappears, even if I haven't posted in it myself.

I very much agree with Nash.

[ 09-02-2006, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherl
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3828

posted      Profile for Sherl   Email Sherl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pity it had to come to this, WGW... But most likely, this will improve the responsability in thinking/ressarching before posting, since the Edit is only efective to a certain extent on the subject.

And please, do let us know how you would prefer to be notified about topics in need of deletion so we can help out!

From: 221b Baker Street | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Thingol,

Evidently the threads and posts I deleted weren't too important.

As for those who like to live in the past, I simply disagree. What's the purpose? The purpose of this site is to have a good time. A person has more right to protect discussions from unwanted intrusions in the Pony and Golden Perch than in the Tolkien discussion forums. Such policies reveal what's really important at this site. If good Tolkien discussion is so few and far between on this site that a discussions need to be preserved so that there can be proof that Tolkien discussion took place at one time, then things are in a sad state indeed.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nash wrote-

quote:
It's not because no time/research has been put into a post that the post itself doesn't bring a lot to the discussion. I remember seraching a few threads for a 2 lines post because the way it was formulated in itself made it worth of being noted. Most of the "famous quotes" are short ones, thus posts made "on the moment" may be of value.
I agree, and the converse is that just because a post is long and involves "research", does not mean that it necessarily holds any merit. I've seen posts with loads of quotes and other "research", and the conclusion or argument is still cr@p. And then I've wasted time reading it, so I'm really bent out of shape. []

Personally, I consider this entire messageboard, including the serious literary threads, to be "fun". In my little world, it certainly doesn't qualify as "work". I think the only thread-deletions that would upset me would be those of the few RPs in which I participate. However, I can't imagine that any of the threadmasters for those RPs would ever do anything so petty and pointless; nothing they've ever done at MT would indicate that they might delete their RPs.

I can understand how other types of thread deletions might upset, or annoy, or anger other citizens though.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I for one got really mad when Wetty/Dolmed (?) deleted the 'greener pastures' thread. After thinking about it I prefer this non-deletion rule [] We can always have the general rule that thread masters are responsible of reporting their own threads to wgw when they should be deleted []
From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that Leaf [] I regret deleting that thread and I think there were a couple of others as well at that time []
Just to clarify for you the Greener pastures thread was created by Wetty; Dolmed was me reincarnated a few weeks after Mr Wang left in a strop []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If good Tolkien discussion is so few and far between on this site that a discussions need to be preserved so that there can be proof that Tolkien discussion took place at one time, then things are in a sad state indeed.
Please... [] You know that's not the reason.

quote:
Evidently the threads and posts I deleted weren't too important.
I for one have gone back to look at old threads when discussing a related topic... on several occasions are the threads hacked beyond recognition due to your little tiff. I found both your posts and those threads to be important.
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

quote:
You know that's not the reason.

I'm not so sure it is not.

quote:
I for one have gone back to look at old threads when discussing a related topic... on several occasions are the threads hacked beyond recognition due to your little tiff.
Well, when you're blue you do things you don't always do.

quote:
I found both your posts and those threads to be important.
Everything is a work in progress. There's nothing that I've posted with hasn't been posted somewhere else or that can't be found in Tolkien's works.

I believe this is alot to do about nothing.

Even so, I do apologize to you for ruining something you valued. But I'm only human and do make mistakes. I should have given you a heads up to save what you wanted save.

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

quote:
Even so, I do apologize to you for ruining something you valued. But I'm only human and do make mistakes. I should have given you a heads up to save what you wanted save.
Thanks Tuor. I appreciate that. []

quote:
Well, when you're blue you do things you don't always do.

You know... at first I thought you were referring to me going back and looking at old threads. [] I'm glad I reread the post before responding. []

Sorry you were blue...

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
White Gold Wielder wrote: [] "Well, the current pettiness has gone on so long, we actually have someone deleting entire literary topics just because there were posts they didn't like.

I am this close to dropping the ban hammer, so pay attention people.

I had actually been crafting a lengthy response over the past couple days to one of the topics deleted today, and I am pretty steamed about all the time wasted. I can easily imagine how steamed those people are who had already spent the time to post.

Deleting literary topics is like spitting in my face. Don't do it again.

Actually, for an undetermined period of time, no one can delete any posts except for me. Deleting the first post of a thread has always deleted the entire thread. This has been a privilege and a sign that I trust the members of this community. For now, there are some among us that have betrayed my trust.

Those who are responsible for this mess know who they are. Unless I see some sign that will make me trust this situation won’t repeat itself, the deletion ban remains in effect. If some resolution doesn’t occur between the parties involved, I will solve in my own way.

Have a nice day."

WTF??? Someone was storming in a teacup in the literary forums and started deleting literary threads? Nice move idiots. Personally, the inability to delete threads is no big deal. Its nice to have the ability but not an important function. This is the only messageboard I know of that actually had that feature active as most places keep that function as an admin/mod function.

Maybe this will improve the responses and end the phony drama acts that appear on occasion then disappear without a trace. Its drawback is there may be more thread clutter.

Is there a way to set-up the literary forums so the delete post feature is inactive while leaving it active for other forums?

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want it active in any forum.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW :
quote:
This has been a privilege and a sign that I trust the members of this community.
I fully agree, and this was one of my two main concerns when reposting one of the two threads (or the main part of it). If you feel it was wrong from me, please delete, and accept my apologise ... []

Anyway, time to go to bed, and see you all tomorrow []

Edit : I didn't see Herendil's thread in the Library []

[ 09-05-2006, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On the bright side, the self-pitying thread announcing the deletion is pretty funny.

"Anal retentive"? []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, I take it as an honor to be associated with you and Grandpa []

*carries on pissing into the wind* []

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I was directly involved in at least one of these deletion episodes - and for that I am sorry. It was the only thread I've posted in for a while.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oppsss....sorry WGW. I just sent you a PM and I hadn't read this thread till just now []

Sorry, don't hit me!!!

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can send PMs to WGW []

-

-

-

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny that Wiki has now expanded into annoying and inconviencing people that he's not even posting with. []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Madomir. It would appear his powers are waxing.

I call for the League of SuperHeroes That Had Somthing To Do With American Ideals of Justice In The 1960's and 1970's to unite and defend us.

Oh.... wait.... WGW is. No need to pull those lyra superhero suits on now... []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

quote:
those lyra superhero suits
Typo, or no? []

[ 09-09-2006, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help