Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 2)
Author Topic: Delete Post Rights Removed
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm posting at a messageboard with nearly the same function - it quotes the whole post, but you can then edit out any parts you do not want to quote.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Braeden wrote-

quote:
And not do any *bump*s in RPs...
I guess a *bump* in an RP could be edited with an actual RP post, if the timing was right for your character.

And I've definitely learned my lesson about (not) starting new threads, so I don't think I'll need the "delete" option anyway.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm posting at a messageboard with nearly the same function - it quotes the whole post, but you can then edit out any parts you do not want to quote.
Yes, but from experience most people don't bother to trim their quotes and quote whole posts (huge posts) just to add a line at the end... []

And, moreover, a lot of people quote posts in which there was already a quote. [] Worse, these people's posts themselves end up quoted and you get quotes within quotes within quotes (etc...) and it becomes unreadable quickly! []

[ 09-02-2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the blankety blank way too []
I am sure we will very soon get uesd to never deleting posts.
WGW, if you ever allow deleting again then you should write down some guidelines - I seem to remember that WiKi was arguing that he had your rules on his side when he started threatening with deletion.

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from experience most people don't bother to trim their quotes and quote whole posts (huge posts) just to add a line at the end...
And, moreover, a lot of people quote posts in which there was already a quote.

That's my experience from that board as well - and you even get quotes with repeated pictures. It's probably a good feature, but it takes some discipline. Imagine that kind of quotes running wild in the Face thread []

[ 09-02-2006, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see this development!

Quite apart from the inappropriateness of removing one's own posted comments, it didn't seem at all fair for citizens to be able to erase other people's posts from existence.

Personally, I find it a bit irritating when people go back and delete comments they want not to have made. Especially when reading exchanges that go something like:

CITIZEN A
Edit: Comment deleted.

CITIZEN B
Why did you call me an arsehole, Citizen A?

CITIZEN A
See my edit above. No harm done now.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Although we can still do that.
[]
I agree, but the edit function is good for spelling mistakes, or for improving clarity of thought.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. There are lots of good reasons for using the "edit" feature, and it's an essential feature to have.

I imagine an ideal messageboard format in which a member can modify the version of their post which is displayed up-front, but readers can, if they wish, click a button which displays the earlier versions of the post in succession. That would be fantastic! []

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The only way this can fully work is to remove the edit function as well.
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
readers can, if they wish, click a button which displays the earlier versions of the post in succession
That's technically possible... You'd have to use a board powered with the WiKi engine (which would be the last straw when you know who's responsible of the current discussion no?) []

[ 09-02-2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
a board powered with the WiKi engine
The WiKiPedia, you mean?
Yes, the irony of it []

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

WiKiPedia uses the WiKi engine yes... []
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what the big deal is. The discussion would not take place if the person who started the thread didn't post the topic. If you want to discuss something, you can always start up a thread on the topic yourself, even if it is just reposting an earlier thread.

The books are not going to change. Tolkien information is out there for anyone willing to put the time and money into it. I'm sure there is at least one person around here who would be willing to make a link to a couple of really good discussions on the topic at other sites.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

The "big deal" is that some people put time, research, (etc) in their posts in the lit forums. Can't you understand how frustrating it can be when the post you've spent hours writing simply vanishes because the thread starter suddenly decided he didn't like the direction the topic was taking? []
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

If it is information you spent hours researching, then you should have learned something. You should also have much of the info saved on your computer as you have compiled it. I believe the imporant information is what you learn, not what's left over when you are done. I know that I really don't enjoy reading through threads and reading conversations that I have not participated in. I find it very boring and full of irrelevant information, quite often simply arguments which have nothing to do with the subject.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

quote:
If it is information you spent hours researching, then you should have learned something. You should also have much of the info saved on your computer as you have compiled it. I believe the imporant information is what you learn, not what's left over when you are done.
In that case, why post at all?
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

The discussion. You post something another person corrects it or builds on it. Or perhaps just to have fun through positive interaction or simply to bicker to each his own.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
I know that I really don't enjoy reading through threads and reading conversations that I have not participated in.
But if I have participated in it, I don't want it to disappear before the discussion dies down.
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

quote:
You post something another person corrects it or builds on it.
Or deletes it.
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

quote:
I really don't enjoy reading through threads and reading conversations that I have not participated in. I find it very boring
You know, that's maybe how you see it but you're not alone in here... I don't post anymore in the lit forums, but I still read through the threads... Those threads that were deleted because of someone's "temper" I didn't get the chance to read. And that bothers me. Why? Well, because I may have learned something interesting from them, or even simply spent my time enjoying the read.

And, before I stopped posting up North, I've posted a few posts in which I had put quite a bit of research/time, if those posts were to disappear for such a stupid reason as those thread disappeared I'd probably be quite angry at the culprit. Not because I'm infatuated about what I wrote but because, just like everyone I guess, when I've spent time "working" on something, even something as silly as a card castle, it seriously bothers me when someone ruins my job with a swipe of his hand... []

[ 09-02-2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Varnafinde,
quote:
But if I have participated in it, I don't want it to disappear before the discussion dies down.
Then start up a new thread on the topic and pick up where you left off.

Gloin,

Start up the old thread and repost your thoughts.

Nash,
quote:
You know, that's maybe how you see it but you're not alone in here... I don't post anymore in the lit forums, but I still read through the threads...
You do what you wish and let others do what they wish. The threads were not started for you. The threads were started for the person who posted the thread. If it gets deleted, and you like the topic, the restart the thread. If you don't like having threads deleted, then don't delete threads you've started.
quote:
Not because I'm infatuated about what I wrote but because, just like everyone I guess, when I've spent time "working" on something, even something as silly as a card castle, it seriously bothers me when someone ruins my job with a swipe of his hand...
Then save your important posts to your hard drive. It's an easy fix.

[ 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

quote:
You do what you wish and let others do what they wish.
You do realize that this is anarchy you're talking about? I'm pretty sure you'd hate it if WGW would let the boards be ruled by these principles...
quote:
The threads were started for the person who posted the thread.
Threads are not the "private property" of the starter. Threads, and particularly the lit threads, are collective efforts (I know you've got issues with the notion of "collectivity" though), it belongs as much to each person who has been posting in it as to the thread starter... Thus, by deleting a thread, the starter somehow "steals" it from everyone who posted in it.

quote:
Then save your important posts to your hard drive. It's an easy fix.
Are you missing the point on purpose or what? Even if I have my posts saved on my computer, they are worth much less out of their context... A thread has a value which is superior to the sum of its parts!
And, before you tell it: I could save the whole thread on my computer, but that is not the point of having a board such as MT, if you want to have a copy of everything that was ever said on your computer, then go to a mailing list and keep the mails. The very purpose of a message board is to have the discussions remotely stored, open to all, even to those who didn't know about the place when the discussion was held... []

[ 09-02-2006, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, literary threads should not be the ultimate studies of the topics they are dealing with - they should only serve as a means of exchanging ideas and trying to come to conclusions regarding the topics. The finished products should be essays that make use of the content of the threads.

Most of my longer posts I write more or less as short essays and save them as separate documents. But I also have separate documents for my essays (finished and unfinished), and plenty of notes for each of these saved as separate documents as well. All of this I have stored in a Tolkien Research folder.

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

quote:
You do realize that this is anarchy you're talking about? I'm pretty sure you'd hate it if WGW would let the boards be ruled by these principles...
Up until now, this is pretty much how WGW has run this board. It's survived fairly well.

quote:
Threads are not the "private property" of the starter. Threads, and particularly the lit threads, are collective efforts (I know you've got issues with the notion of "collectivity" though), it belongs as much to each person who has been posting in it as to the thread starter... Thus, by deleting a thread, the starter somehow "steals" it from everyone who posted in it.

There is nothing sacred about what's been posted. Anything deleted can easily be reposted. It's not that big a deal.
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tuor posted:
quote:
Anything deleted can easily be reposted. It's not that big a deal.
It may not necessarily be that easy for posters who do not use any kind of "storage system" of their own for their research to recollect everything they have posted in a thread. Also, I have noticed that many literary posters post "in the moment" - they only post in "active" threads, and they may post something new and different and forget their previous threads and posts in only a couple of days. I find this approach amateurish.

[ 09-02-2006, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Herendil ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help