Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 1)
Author Topic: Delete Post Rights Removed
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the current pettiness has gone on so long, we actually have someone deleting entire literary topics just because there were posts they didn't like.

I am this close to dropping the ban hammer, so pay attention people.

I had actually been crafting a lengthy response over the past couple days to one of the topics deleted today, and I am pretty steamed about all the time wasted. I can easily imagine how steamed those people are who had already spent the time to post.

Deleting literary topics is like spitting in my face. Don't do it again.

Actually, for an undetermined period of time, no one can delete any posts except for me. Deleting the first post of a thread has always deleted the entire thread. This has been a privilege and a sign that I trust the members of this community. For now, there are some among us that have betrayed my trust.

Those who are responsible for this mess know who they are. Unless I see some sign that will make me trust this situation won’t repeat itself, the deletion ban remains in effect. If some resolution doesn’t occur between the parties involved, I will solve in my own way.

Have a nice day.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I understand the reasons behind the ban, but I'll... have to be more vigilant in previewing my posts before adding them. [] And not do any *bump*s in RPs... []

It's unfortunate the ban can't be restricted to just the literary forums. I hope it doesn't last too long, and the people deleting literary threads get the point.

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a shame that things have developed to this point. Personally, I tend to delete any non-Tolkien threads I start after they run their course. I also know that many chat threads are restarted on a semi-regular basis. With deleting privileges removed, I can foresee a lot more clutter and bloated threads in the South. I can also foresee more trouble and headaches for you, as people send you PMs asking you to delete their own threads.

However, I think this is probably a good move. I estimate that I have started almost one hundred threads in the North. Could you imagine the destruction and damage that would happen if someone as active in the Lits as I have been decided to delete their own threads in a petty fit of rage?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. This is a bad trend. WGW, is there a way to permit post/thread deletion only in certain sections, or is it a globally-set function? I'm thinking maybe the delete post/thread feature can be disabled just for the lit forums.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh this is...interesting. []

But maybe that will teach me to post...less?

At least we can still edit, eh? That would be quite a travesty for me if it was otherwise...

Meh. Maybe I *should* proofread my posts more before I post them. []

[ 09-02-2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe the delete post/thread feature can be disabled just for the lit forums.
Even up North the feature is useful, for the game threads for example...
(I hadn't noticed this thread and was about to delete the old Password Game... When I realized I couldn't anymore!)

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read those two threads before they were deleted and think you are basing your decission on a jerk with a foul mouth that likes to deride other people's ideas where they don't agree with his/her own []
Why you have backed Wiki's actions towards others in the past is beyond me Boss [] He/she makes a rod for his/her own back with their atitude............which stinks! []

[ 09-02-2006, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read those two threads before they were deleted and think you are basing your decission on a jerk with a foul mouth that likes to deride other people's ideas where they don't agree with his/her own
I agree with Wetty. Yes, Witch-king knows Tolkien's works well, and he presents good topics from time to time, and has even offer reasoned debate on some interesting threads. But the minute someone disagrees with him, then out comes Wiki the @sshole. It's like he can't help himself, and threads become polluted pissing matches.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

And even though one can no longer delete a thread one CAN still edit their post which to some extent can still be as disruptive to a thread []
For instance the whole of a post can be edited to remove all the text to just leave a smilie []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[]

[ 09-02-2006, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[]
See! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Did I miss something?

e: ah, nevermind. Caught you pre-edit.

[ 09-02-2006, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Yes you did just miss something, sir! []
I posted a surefire way to end world hunger based upon the Noldor's long march across the grinding ice but decided to delete it cos I didn't think it would get the respect it deserved or I demand of my ideas! []
Oh yeah, that's cos I'm anally retentive idiot in dire need of a tree surgeon! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[quote] And even though one can no longer delete a thread one CAN still edit their post which to some extent can still be as disruptive to a thread
For instance the whole of a post can be edited to remove all the text to just leave a smilie[/unquote]

This is why I would suggest to WGW to either enable the 'quote' function of the UBB software, or, if that is not possible, upgrade to a version that has it. If you use the 'quote' feature, it will mitigate the disruption caused by those who feel compelled to edit/delete everything they say. It would also persuade some to think twice before hitting the 'add reply' button.

I belong to a number of forums where only the Administrator has the ability to delete threads. I once owned a large-ish forum, and that was the protocol there, as well. So, though I know my counsel was not sought in this (or any, ha ha) matter, this is my advice:

Reserve to yourself the power of thread deletion, Steward;
Enable the 'quote' function to minimize any disruption caused by those who feel that their words are best removed.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... it is a shame that those threads were deleted, they had generated some good discussion.

I had posted in those threads and, if I am in any way responsible... I apologize.

I'm not going to comment publicly on the rudeness of a certain citizen, but will let his recent actions and words left in the closed topics speak for themselves. However, I will say that when one participates in discussions, whether literary or otherwise, one should be prepared to meet with disagreement without resorting to name calling.

[ 09-02-2006, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also know that many chat threads are restarted on a semi-regular basis. With deleting privileges removed, I can foresee a lot more clutter and bloated threads in the South. I can also foresee more trouble and headaches for you, as people send you PMs asking you to delete their own threads.
I suppose we can use the thread Nominate a thread for deletion for that, unless you prefer PMs, WGW?

Edit:
Or should we report our own first posts?

[ 09-02-2006, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thingol: I saved most of the 'Girdle powers of the Three' thread, and Eluchil said that he did so as well. It will soon be reposted.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boss: For your sake and for ours, I'm sorry it had to come to this.

Maia Olorin
quote:
This is why I would suggest to WGW to either enable the 'quote' function of the UBB software, or, if that is not possible, upgrade to a version that has it.
We do have the function, just with different tags to the ones you use [] . Just end with "[/quote]" instead of "[/unquote]" [] .

S/Thingy: Eloquent as ever [] .

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We do have the function, just with different tags to the ones you use . Just end with "/quote]" instead of "/unquote]" .
DOH! That's what I get for posting before the caffeine could kick in! Most places, however, have a button that automatically does it (where the PM, Editing and Profile buttons are) and starts the reply post at the same time. This is a bit more unwieldy. However, my point remains valid: Anytime someone is concerned that a post will be deleted, all someone else needs to do is to quote the person in question.
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... Olorin, if you'd scrolled down a little when you were on the "post a reply" page, you'd have seen that the buttons you're looking for are there []

[]

And that has nothing to do with lack of caffeine... Unless you've always visited MT while under serious withdrawal! []

[ 09-02-2006, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
Yes, but,

I do it manually (no smart remarks, please) and, as I said, it is easier to click on a button above someone else's particular post, than it is to go to that post, copy the text, hit reply, hit quote, paste quoted text, hit quote again, and then put your two farthings in.

As for your second point, as I said, if I bother to quote anyone here at all, I put the UBB code in manually.

I just don't usually try to make up my own code....[/unquote]
[] [] []

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

I know what Maia Olorin is referring to, and he's talking about something different than what we have here. It's a function whereby you click a link or button "quote" that appears next to a user's message. You can see one here:

-

It's the button to the far left of the date/time stamp. Click that and it instantly sets up a reply with their entire message already inside quotation code. You don't need to cut and paste, like we do here.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a member of a cricket messageboard which has that function, and I don't think it's very good. It doesn't enable you to select a part of the post, to highlight sections or to deliberately misquote or paraphrase (for laughs, before any fingers are pointed).

I much prefer the MT way. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, WGW.
I almost deleted a topic a while ago when ad hominems got nasty, but sought guidance from a journalist who does not read this forum. He gave advice to respect the time and effort of the posters and added that if a debate is anticipated that the first post can include a caveat.
I've received the same advice when it comes to music; if it's worth the time of the audience to listen focused, then it's worth doing right.

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
quote:
I'm a member of a cricket messageboard which has that function, and I don't think it's very good. It doesn't enable you to select a part of the post, to highlight sections or to deliberately misquote or paraphrase (for laughs, before any fingers are pointed).

I much prefer the blankety blank way.

It is just as simple to mess with a quote here, and one still has to select the part of the post to quote, or not. The other way is easier, and most, including UBB, have software with the option as described by myself and Silmahtar.
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Delete Post Rights Removed (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help