Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Report Site Problems (Page 5)
Author Topic: Report Site Problems
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Same here.

Server intermittently refuses to accept login or posts from me, stating my IP is banned - but citing an IP totally unrelated to the one I'm actually at! []

Weird?! []

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to halt the mountains of spam registrations I get every day. It used to be a hundred every month. Now it's a hundred every few days. UBB.classic boards are very vulnerable to this, even ones that require registration approval like this one.

I've made some changes to make us less juicy a target. Now hopefully every function of the board requires a valid login. The original UBB.classic had a lot of loopholes that allowed spambots to harvest information.

Anyway, I banned some IPs that registered over a hundred times, but apparently some of you have the same IP. Banning IPs doesn't work like it did in the old days, and it didn't work in this case. I removed the bans and hopefully everything should be fine now.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, good Steward! Hope you and the family had a grand Halloween []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
White Gold Wielder:
quote:
Anyway, I banned some IPs that registered over a hundred times, but apparently some of you have the same IP.
Well, my IP is totally different from the one that the board said was mine and was banned. Of course, that could be a proxy server, but as far as I know I'm not using one, unless my provider, Microsoft or Symantec have foisted one on me without informing me. I wouldn't put it past any of them, to be honest.

Proxy servers are of course one of the main reasons why banning IP's doesn't work anymore ...

Incidentally, the IP that the board told me was banned belongs to Yahoo. Now that is no surprise to me as they have quite a hoard of spammers on their groups, and don't seem to do anything about them unless you complain very loudly and persistently.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The red color of hyperlinks is a very bad choice. [] They are hard to read & give me a headache. [] Also, they attract Orcs. [] Can we get a more Elvish color, like blue or green? []
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure blue or green would show up very well against the grey?
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Should be dark blue or green then. Or perhaps just a darker shade of red?
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the grey and red colour scheme just fine [] []
Of course magenta and lime green would be better! []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I must say that one reason why I like this place is that the colour scheme works fine. There are so many blogs and things out there, facebook is a prime example where people seem to think that colours like Yellow on White works. Where I do wonder if with all this updated technology and everything and all their exciting lives is all very well, but if I can't read the blessed thing, I can't really respond, can I? Nah, keep it as it is! It does have a vague Tolkien relevence as well!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I concur. I love this color scheme.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I totally support keeping the color scheme exactly the way it is. It's the most eye-friendly color scheme of any board I've ever seen.
From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps maroon would be better than red for the hyperlinks?

I would definitely keep the two shades of grey, though. It's a very eye-friendly scheme.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like it this way too []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Also like it this way!

But Varnafindë's idea is worth a try, I think.

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that in some cases, the red comes close to being hard on the eyes. A darker red seems the perfect solution. I've thought about it, but never acted. I'll run some tests this time, although there's quite a bit more work to it than changing a board setting.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
I'm sorry to be grumbling again, when this is really a very nice place. But ... the search function is playing up again. Or still.

Because of this, I tried to search on "first read", then "first time" and then "first", all combined with my citizen number. The reason should be obvious from the discussion linked. All three searches came up empty. Yet the first should have turned up this post, the second should have turned up this one and the third should have turned up both.

Searching without citizen number is no use at all in this case, as all three keyword (combinations) would give thousands of hits, were it not for the 300 limit.

I know we were at the same point two years ago, and I then agreed wholeheartedly that the Steward's effort were better directed at setting up new forum software than at trying to fix all the bugs in the present one.

And I don't want to irk the good Steward, especially not where he has recently started to admit avatars again. And I very much hope to find the time to submit one myself this time. []

But I'm irked on a regular basis by the search disasters, and I've been hoping for all of those two years that we would have a new forum engine soon ...

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I agree that the search function is mostly hosed (mostly due to the number of posts which UBB.classic was apparently not designed to handle).

All I can say is keep hope alive !

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Oh dear, I didn't intend the post-smile of my previous to stick out its tongue. The smilies must have stopped moving at my end when I selected it. I think my feelings were better echo-ed by [] .

Thanks very much for the answer, nevertheless, Steward!

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I occasionaly get the following message when I try to surf the forums while there's a new PM in my mailbox...

quote:
Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open 'MembersPath/pm_notify/00002903.cgi'.

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
Stale NFS file handle

If I go to my inbox and read the messages it stops bugging...
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I believe it's a server issue, and should clear up on its own. Let me know if you keep getting this.
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem, but a peculiarity : I logged on MT and the links were all blue instead of red [] Next page, it was back to normal.
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
MT is playing hard to get at the moment. It takes between two and twenty times to get a page to display anything else than "page cannot be displayed". It took me over fifteen tries to log in. Of course the bottleneck can be anywhere, not necessarily in the MT server, but I'm not experiencing the problem yet with any other site.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Seems all right now, must just have been temporary!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Apparently.

No problems anymore here now either.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I ran across that Mithrennaith about the time you did. I just assumed WGW was working on the site some.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Report Site Problems (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help