Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Report Site Problems (Page 3)
Author Topic: Report Site Problems
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why?
Because of this.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't so much a problem, as in a... "is it this way now because of the new host/server?" []

At home I leave myself logged into MT all the time, but at work I make sure I've logged out after each visit. I used to just click the 'Delete Cookies' link in my profile to log out, but now I'll have to remember to click the actual 'logout' link. []

[ 06-28-2007, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, delete cookies used to log you out? Hmm...
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is a big deal, but it is interesting that the recent posts list for citizens seems to have reset itself.

The search function had seemed a bit dodgy for me too. I searched for "Frodo" in the LOTR forum and didn't get a single hit, but when I tried it again this morning it seemed okay.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much a problem, (and to be honest rather trivial), but more of an observation []
I have noticed that when I edit a post the edit time is given in MT time and not my local time; []

E: So now my edits are running around 2 hours before I made the post! []

[ 07-05-2007, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*presses fingers to temples*
*rolls eyes*
WOOOO, psychic editing!!!
< [] >

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have noted that when I send posts, they tend to contain typos. Is this a known UBB-problem?
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Edit times not referring to your custom time zone adjustment is a known bug with this version of the software. I'm not going to fix it. []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
I'm not going to fix it.
Well talk about doing a job half cocked! []
[]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Yeah, I'm a bit busy working on the conversion to the new software. If the same bug exists there, then I'll fix it. []
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, delete cookies used to log you out? Hmm...
Yep. []

And like Thorin, I've had some trouble with the search function. Thankfully what I've been looking for hasn't been too old. []
quote:
I have noticed that when I edit a post the edit time is given in MT time and not my local time
That's always been the case, Wetty. Where have you been? []
From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Brae, I'm not sure you wanna know the answer to your last question ...
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Phoenix
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5456

posted      Profile for Dark Phoenix   Email Dark Phoenix   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a problem, and I dont know if it is from my computer but all I know is that when I sign in, all of the lanterns are lit up like there is new posts in those threads and there really is not, can someone please tell me what is going on, if there is a post some where explaining it, please share the info with me, thanks!
From: The Phoenix Inn. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I'm betting it's a browser issue DP; I've had the same thing for months and haven't been able to figure out how to resolve it []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin said:
quote:
"The search function had seemed a bit dodgy for me too."
I did a search for citizen #15 (me) on 'All Forums' & it came back with a grand total of 23 posts going all the way back to 6-30-07. Apparently anything older than that is not searchable.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I did the same, with the same result. I was attempting to locate any discussion on the succession to the High Kingship of the Noldor in which I took part, if any, or else to disprove the existence of such. Searches on likely keywords having already yielded some interesting (and many uninteresting or completely unrelated) discussions, but not what I sought, this was my last resort. Getting such a result to a search for all my own posts was less than useless however, and rather frustrating.

Small wonder than, that discussion often gets fragmented.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

The only problem is searching for posts by a specific user. Normal searching for keywords works fine.

When we changed hosts, some file must have been deleted and has not been rebuilt or the premissions on some file are incorrect. I'll try to do a search rebuild again and see if it helps.

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Well I just did a keyword search for my Redundancy Payment thread in the Pony and the search returned a nothing found result []
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I tried running a search for the What I Imagine You Look Like Thread, and I couldn't find it...
From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only problem is searching for posts by a specific user. Normal searching for keywords works fine.
I tested the search so:
I found a thread I was looking for by manually clicking through the pages in the forum, then in another window I went to the search and entered the thread name, limited the search to the one forum (Prancing Pony), and had it search for subject only, and it found nothing. I then did the same thing using a thread that was last posted to on July 1 and it found that. So I did the same thing using a thread that was last posted to on June 29 and it didn't find that. The search would not find anything older than July 1st, and only some that were posted to on June 30 in the Prancing Pony. I didn't try any other forums. I did this yesterday, and so in trying the searchs now, it works like a charm! Thanks WGW for taking care of this! []

[ 09-06-2007, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

The Pony and the Dragon have issues when rebuilding the search index, so we'll have to do without serious searching of Pony threads (no big loss). All other forums should be OK now.
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not quite all right, I think.

Over the last two days this happened: I was looking for a considered and reasoned post that I had made somewhere on the question whether Elros could be the heir of the First House of the Edain. I remembered that I had (probably) used the names Dor-lómin, Ladros, Túrin, Morwen, Baragund, Belegund, Rían, Tuor, Beren (Erchamion), Bregolas, Barahir, Bereg, as well as the phrases 'heir', 'without issue' and 'decessit sine prole'.

So I started searching for these words with my citizen number 5239. I found bupkis. Most of the names/phrases yield no result at all, a few give a few results, but completely unrelated to the post I was looking for. Searching without my number either yielded no related results, or (for e.g. Túrin, Beren, heir) so many results that it was simply not feasible looking through all the threads.

Yet it is there ...

I found it by searching for all my posts (that at least works again) in the most likely fora and going through the likely looking threads, and then the less likely. Still took a lot of time.

All this is not helped by the limited flexibility of the search function on UBB. Two things in particular make searching much harder:

1) There is no way to limit the search to whole words; 'heir' for instance, also triggers the umptythousand occurences of 'their', 'Bereg' also brings the more frequently mentioned 'Beregond' (or in this case, only the latter!).

2) Results are given as a list of thread names only. It is not possible to get, as on phpBB, each individual post with the first few lines. No possibility to skim over the posts and pick out the likely ones. One has to go by thread titles, which in this case was not really related to the subject of the later discussion.

So, still some bugs, on the one hand, on the other, I'm all for a move to newer forum software (as e.g. phpBB).

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
All this is not helped by the limited flexibility of the search function on UBB.
It could be worse, it could be the so-called "search" engine on Torc, which I have found to be totally worthless when looking for old RP stories. All in all, this search engine is quite good as I've been able to find 99% of what I set out to look for. Also, I haven't noticed any trouble finding threads in the Pony or Dragon.
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Well, I wouldn't have posted the outburst I did, had my experiences been as good. I have now already several times spent more hours than I usualy have available in one day to spend on the internet searching for something that I knew was there, but that even careful searching strategy wouldn't turn up, necessitating going through long list of perhaps relevant threads painstakingly.

But it gets even worse when you don't know whether it's there. Because the other experiencences mean that even if you can't find something you can never be certain it really isn't there, it might still be there but simply can't be found.

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I am trying to decide on which software to convert to, so going on about the search function in this old software is fruitless. I am sorry it is currently of limited use, and I promise that it will one day be better.
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Report Site Problems (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help