Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Report Site Problems (Page 2)
Author Topic: Report Site Problems
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using IE, try setting the "Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Play Animations (Under the Multimedia subhead)".
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! That advice worked well for me at least. (And thanks to Dancing Sparrow for asking!)
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is going to be some server maintenence by my host which will bring down the site for approx. 3 hours sometime between Feb. 3rd and 4th. Yay server maintenence... []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Better notice and server maintenance than to have the site dissappear without a trace for weeks like The Tolkien Forum did!
Yay server maintenance and double yay for notice! []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boo! server maintenance and double boo for notice! []
These server maintenance thingies always seem to affect us Euro types the most as the maintenance seems to have an uncany knack of occuring when you Yankie types are sound asleep in bed! []
Still, seeing as I've lost web access to MT at work it ain't gonna bother me much anyhow I expect []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get a avatar, but, it says it is unavalible. For several months I have been trying to get it. Why is it that I am unable to?

[ 02-06-2007, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Captain of Gondor ]

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Yo, Thubeldhia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5070

posted      Profile for Yo, Thubeldhia   Email Yo, Thubeldhia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Please do read the threads in this same forum about the Avatars. From time to time WGW tries to fulfill the request, if you post them in the proper thread.
From: Far far away | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK, my host bent me over again this weekend. Seems like every time they do an upgrade, my account gets disabled and doesn't get re-enabled until I call in and raise hell. This time, I couldn't raise anyone over there until 15 minutes ago. Five minutes later we were up. Grrrr.

We're back up, but some senior tech is supposed to look at the situation and get back to me. If I don't get some serious answers and "I'm sorry" vibes, I'm going to be looking for a new host. This annual downtime party is bull.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I went through this when I owned a largish site. I had contracted for a certain amount of storage and bandwidth, which we had nowhere near approached, and we'd get these funky downtimes, and even a loss of the UBB data (which had me really turning various shades of purple). I was told that since we were on a shared server, that our site was too large, yada, yada, yada, even though we had contracted for adequate space and transfer.

They never actually obtained any stability until they anted-up for a dedicated server with expanded RAM. In effect, it was a bait and switch shakedown.

A plague on Webhosts, I always say. I used to have to wait on hold for hours at a time, and then get some idiot...

oh, never mind....
[]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope your host is eating humble pie Boss []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's a relief. I thought I'd been banned!
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seems like every time they do an upgrade, my account gets disabled and doesn't get re-enabled until I call in and raise hell. This time, I couldn't raise anyone over there until 15 minutes ago. Five minutes later we were up.
So it seems the problem isn't even anything difficult, just some minor change that doesn't get reset automatically, but noone knows that it needs to be reset manually - until they're told to? []

At least this time we didn't lose a week's worth of posting ...

And it's good to be back.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness for the site maintenance. I've been trapped in cyberspace since sometime last spring! Good to be back though... []
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*kills the fattened calf?*
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ Neytari
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Munches on fattened calf*
Good to be back. I'd started twitching.

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherl
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3828

posted      Profile for Sherl   Email Sherl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for MT being back! [] That was scary. []
From: 221b Baker Street | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We're just glad to be back up! There are citizens out there that just can't handle the real world! []
From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I feel delighted just to get back in here. Stupid, really its only a forum, after all. Should really take that as a warning not to get too fond of these forums as they might not be here for ever. Though I suppose that these sort of things happened far more frequently in the old days if anyone can remember!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

It did seem to happen more at the very beginning, but this host's customer service is getting to be a joke. Good uptime stats are fine, but not being able to get a hold of them for an entire weekend just so they can fix a problem they created and they are unaware of is infuriating.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OK, my host bent me over again this weekend.
I noticed ou were walking funny... []

Seriously, I thought the christian pro-censorship crowd finally talked you into banning me there for a bit.

Hopefully when/if you change hosts all goes well. I have always liked the stability, consistancy, and reliability of this site over the years. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it odd how everyone seemed to be worried that the non-access was due to them been denied access, I mean anyone would think that we all had guilty concsiousnessess, that's spelled wrong, isn't it? Ah, well.

[ 02-22-2007, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: HamfastGamgee ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Actually, I am now feeling a lot better about things, in general.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

.... it was the '403 - forbidden access' message is why, not the the usual '404 - page not found' message.
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't I delete my posts anymore? It says, "note: only forum leaders may delete posts."
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention...it was in the Prancing Pony. Definitely not the forum where you expect to be unable to delete posts.
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Report Site Problems (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help