Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I second the "W o w" and the questions... though I would like to add my own: where do you originally come from(before moving to the US)?
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[] Now that the film hype is low, we are getting far less traffic, but of far higher quality. It's slowly getting back to the really old days where only literate fans found their way here.
I do have to say the place is going uphill in my opinion despite what some may say. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed how busy this site has been recently?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... and its still going uphill! []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like seeing that the literary forums are not dead. As someone who has always been a poster down south, I have been spending more and more time lurking up North. One of these days I'll get my nerve up and actually start trying to become part of the discussion.

Now the question is whether or not the boards will once again see a major shift when The Hobbit comes out.

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and its still going uphill
both ways
against the wind
in the snow

edit: 49 guests and 9 citizens online at once? A record?

[ 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not a record for MT. Unless you are looking just in the last couple of years. We've had threads before that reached page 20 within an hour. *Remembers The Girl's room's first 'dance'*
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that must have been hard to read! Certainly seems busy tonight, however, shame I have to go to bed! However Losty, if you do post up north, I'm sure you would be welcome. By me at least! I think the days of flaming people up north, at least by anyone that counts, are a bit in the past!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Hobbit will attract more traffic. For better or worse.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think for better. And maybe sometimes for worse. I joined this site 3 years ago, but NOT because of the movies, since I've been a M-e fan since 1976 - before many of you youngsters were born.
This is only the second site I've ever posted to (and both are M-e related). Lucky you guys, huh? []
Anyway, TH the movie will bring young newbies as well as old people, yet for this site newbies people. It's all good. Without bad, you'd never know good.

edit: 57 guests and 8 citizens online at once - not bad, not bad.

[ 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Well, going uphill doesn't necessarily mean it takes more traffic. Some saw the influx of m00bie n00bz in late 2001-2004 as going downhill (see the stickied thread). Still, The Hobbit will indeed bring a somewhat smaller influx of genuine registrations (meaning actual new people, not sock-puppets or bots), and of those, some will stick around and of them, some will contribute greatly to the city.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Interesting! Assuming I'm looking at the right Sticked threat that is! []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The 'downhill' one. []
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

I really wonder if TH will have as big of an impact as some are expecting. Lotr was looked forward to and enjoyed in part because it was the best multimedia presentation of Tolkien's work. It was also the only presentation of it we had seen in decades. I think a lot of those who would be turned on to the books would have already come 'round by way of lotr.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will re-energize, I really do. Or at least remind people that MT is still here []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree in part with both Ney and Losty. Although The Hobbit will have an impact in generating new citizens, it's not likely to match what LotR did. But what the Hobbit may do is cause some departed citizens to remember and revisit MT, and thus increase activity in that fashion.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

From the prior page by citizen Arwen Legolas:
quote:
I guess I am one of those diehards. I was introduced to Tolkien in 1986 when I bought the 50th Anniversary Edition of the Hobbit. Read a few pages, but was afraid the value of the book would go down if I read more. Then when we moved after '94 California earthquake, my new husband of then 4 years, thought it was an old book, and sold it for $5, I am still crying. I didn't know of any other writings by Tolkien, and was reintroduced to Tolkien when the Movies came out. I caught on fire after The Two Towers, decided to become American. As part of my citizenship change, I was allowed to change my name free of charge. I changed it to Arwen Legolas. I daily study Tolkien and spend 8-10 hours online in Middle-earth somewhere.
Anyone know her status? She is still a soldier, so perhaps she stopped coming here? Still, quite a story.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Mind, I think one point is that if one looks at the downhill thread, not everyone thought that new members and more posts meant better forums, necessarilly!

Edit: I have to say that one of the things I don't miss from the older days are all those long posts taking various scenes from the Lotr movies disecting them, comparing them to the books and explaining frame by frame why the books where better! I'm not saying they where right or wrong, but one could tell from these from virtually the first three sentances what the rest of the post would be and it was rather tiresome having to plough through them. Not that I did after a while as it was obvious what was been said!

[ 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I know. The dissecting was unnecessary. Th emovies were one man's interpretation of what the books were in his eye. The books are the real thing. Period. []

[ 04-09-2009, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The dissecting was unnecessary.
It was over the top and it became quite redundant but not unnecessary. Many folks felt the need to 'defend the honor' of the books. Plus in the course of the dissection there were the inevitable comparisons with the books, and within those comparisons there was an opportunity for the movie folk to learn a bit about the source material. Again, it was over the top, but in theory it was a good thing.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I guess so. Fortunately the movies have been pretty much forgotten & the DVDs just collect dust in this house, wheras the books still get read. I don't think the Hobbit will draw so much activity as the world has already been projected & such.

Still, it is nice to actually get genuine new people, and maybe some of them will even stick around! []

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fortunately the movies have been pretty much forgotten & the DVDs just collect dust in this house, wheras the books still get read.
Wake up, Snowdog! I still see them broadcast on TV every so often, so they obviously haven't been forgotten. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

They are as much a part of our popular culture as Star Wars is. Except without the negative "too bad about the prequels" addendum whenever one talks about them.

[]

[]

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still see them broadcast on TV every so often, so they obviously haven't been forgotten.
Hot Shots with Charlie Sheen hasn't been forgotten about either. It's on TV right now!

[ 04-11-2009, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Feeble. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help