Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that Minas Tirith is actually going uphill, but its consistancy gives that appearance as so many other Tolkien internet sites drop off from lack of use in the wake of the PJ movies fading into the distance, and other busier Tolkien sites fragmenting into Narnia and Starwars and such forums with Tolkien taking almost a secondary role. Three cheers for the consistancy and stability of Minas Tirith!

[ 05-20-2006, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And three cheers for Wiki for keeping the movies ever-present in our hearts and minds.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be an upswing of decent literary threads as well... despite Mr CAPSLOCK. []

[ 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say this - and this is as good a place as any - Thingol has been totally on his game, lit-forum-wise, for a couple of months now. Great stuff.

Not that you weren't good before but you've been really hitting the cover off the ball lately. IMHO.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a lot of good lit threads in recent weeks. I'm finding it difficult to find the time to stay current on all of them.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks WT- it has been a combination of good topics(that I find of interest) started by others and me finally getting online texts to quote from. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
E-texts (covering all of Tolkien's works) combined with good search capabilities really do wonders to one's posts compared to relying only on physical books or just one's memory, believe me.

I recommend using Copernic Desktop Search for searching in your e-texts, it is much faster and more convenient than Windows' built-in search.

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

I think the upswing in the literary forums also has to do with a nice influx of Tolkien-knowledgeable newbies... Ulairë Gordis, Alcuin, Prince Imrahil, Belthronding, Eluchil & Vardamir Nolimon to name a few. [] []

There are also some eager and interested new members like Captain of Gondor & King of the West. Always good with a little new blood...

[ 05-20-2006, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, pretty much anything can be made better by adding a little blood.... or wait, is that not what you meant? []

Sorry....is my vampiric side showing again?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the compliment, Thingol.

I have always found the conversation, both up north and down south, interesting, engaging, educational and entirely worthwhile.

I do believe a veritable Renaissance is upon us...

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Thanks for cleaning up the crap that had started up North again, WGW. We don't say "thanks" often enough.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

"Hear, hear!" said Thingol, and accidentally said it aloud.

[]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Hear, hear!" said Athene, and accidentally typed it out.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Idem []

Btw, as it seems to be the right thread to mention this, I welcome the knowledgeable Tilkalin []

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Uphill, downhill, around the hill, and through the hill to grandmother's house we go! [] When can we get to the top of the hill roll out the red checkered blanket, unpack a couple of sandwiches, and just stay there!? All this traveling is making me car sick and I'm hungry! [] ... are we there yet? []

It seems that MT is never just stable. It is truly always coming or going. Maybe it has to do with age, or number of student citizens. I've noticed that recently. I guess you could still consider MT it be a “young board” and not yet reach that stable maturity some other boards experience. I think the movies had a great deal to do with it and now that they are "old news" to the public the oceans of MT may finally have the chance to calm.

Am I just crazy or do others think this to be a possibility?

Post Script: Three Cheers For Uphill MTness!

[ 10-18-2006, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Dancing Sparrow ]

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The cycles of this world bind us all.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they do.
Its a 'Praise the Lord' cycle in the Pony right now.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I noticed that too Snowdog.
From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed how that the people who post in the literacy forums at the moment - apart from the game threads - seem to be, mostly, newbies?

[ 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the film hype is low, we are getting far less traffic, but of far higher quality. It's slowly getting back to the really old days where only literate fans found their way here.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Yeah, real n00bz too! The only movie hype I see is fanz trumpeting how much $ they made.

Three cheers to getting back to the books... back to Tolkien! []

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Typical... in the past four months or so I've had a little bit of a dip in Tolkien interest. I'm sticking around though... hopefully it will come back after I read the new Túrin and Hobbit books. []
Arwen Legolas
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6401
posted      Profile for Arwen Legolas   Email Arwen Legolas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am one of those diehards. I was introduced to Tolkien in 1986 when I bought the 50th Anniversary Edition of the Hobbit. Read a few pages, but was afraid the value of the book would go down if I read more. Then when we moved after '94 California earthquake, my new husband of then 4 years, thought it was an old book, and sold it for $5, I am still crying. I didn't know of any other writings by Tolkien, and was reintroduced to Tolkien when the Movies came out. I caught on fire after The Two Towers, decided to become American. As part of my citizenship change, I was allowed to change my name free of charge. I changed it to Arwen Legolas. I daily study Tolkien and spend 8-10 hours online in Middle-earth somewhere. I have a vast collection of Movie sized LOTR Posters, Legolas' Throwing knifes, Pictures of Arwen, Legolas and other Elves all over the House. People who don't know and come to visit if they are my children. I have a sizeable Tolkien Library and just acquired the Limited Deluxe Collector's Edition of the Children of Húrin, which came 3 days ago. My husband made all of my LOTR outfits, he sews them between working and free time. If you like to see a pictures of me in those, they are in the auction forum. SO I guess I am a Tolkien fanatic.
From: Traveling between Lasgalen and Rivendell | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you must be quite a fan, Mrs Legolas!
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
You changed your name to Arwen Legolas?

W o w.

Um, if you don't mind me asking:

1) Why did you mix two names?
2) I suppose that the Saul Zaentz Company, which holds the trademarks to those names, doesn't mind if someone names herself with their corporate trademarks?

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help